Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Little OT - Chihuly in the Garden
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Little OT - Chihuly in the Garden Sign In/Join 
Picture of Peppermint65
posted
Was visiting Denver last week and at the botanic garden they have a Chihuly exhibit. I've seen his stuff before, but in the garden it was spectacular - couple pics....

Posts: 228 | Location: Chicagoland - Zone 5 | Registered: Jan 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Peppermint65
posted Hide Post
another...

Posts: 228 | Location: Chicagoland - Zone 5 | Registered: Jan 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Peppermint65
posted Hide Post
another....

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Wow ~~~so that is all glass but not the lily pads?
Would like to see that sometime. TFS

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13166 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Peppermint65
posted Hide Post
last one...

posted Hide Post
Oh how beautiful. Now wished I still lived in Denver!! TFS.

Carlene

Posts: 1814 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Carlene, if you ever get to St. *****, the Mo. Botanical Garden has a big collection of Chihuly, too.

It's fun to see how Denver's pieces differ. Thanks for posting, Peppermint!

(Here's an example from Mobot's collectionSmile

Posts: 4686 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nettie I'll keep that in mind. That is beautiful too. tfs.

Carlene

Posts: 1814 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Those are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5125 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh, I like that blue installation in the lily pond!! Some of the others I can take or leave. I've only seen an exhibition of some of his smaller pieces. Having watched glass blowers at work, I don't know how on earth he achieves some of those shapes and sizes.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6830 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Wow, fantastic!

Posts: 5026 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Great photos!
DH and I are big Chihuly fans too. There is a small Chihuly museum in St. Pete and of course the Bellagio in Vegas was a treat. If only I could afford just one of his pieces, I would be too afraid to leave it outside.

Some photos from St. Pete.

I love this boat filled with orbs

and this piece was amazing! $135,000! LOL!

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7577 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
We'll be seeing that in a few weeks when we pop up to Denver! Thanks for the preview!

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Beautiful glass work......but gosh, those prices! I don't know how he gets all those beautiful shapes.

Posts: 3733 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
Chihuly in a garden is not OT!!!
Very cool! I know that this exhibition has been to NYC and Phoenix...sure wish I had thought to go to the NY Botanical Garden for a look.
The pics are nice and I'm sure more impressive in person.
I've always loved moon gates, but never thought I"d see one having a wild yellow hair!
Love all the colors, especially in the water.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of very neat pics! I love his stuff but I love glass in all shapes and forms. There's a Lot of his work displayed at the botanical garden in Columbus when you actually see it in person it's so unbelievable! Thanks for posting the pics you must have had a marvelous time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 16paws,

Posts: 3275 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
I got to visit the gallery in St. Pete.... wowee!.... I love what he does with glass !!.... his shows in gardens really turn me on, but what he's done with his 'inside gardens' and displays take my breath away, too!!... the man's a veritable genius with glass...don't miss any showing you can get to!! seriously!!

"Gardening Keeps Me Growing!"

Posts: 26888 | Location: Near Charlotte, NC, zone 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Love it, they are gardens of glass!

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7577 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Ohhh Toots... That's breathtaking!
So is that $135K piece... Oh my.

It's really tough to entirely capture the beauty of glass pieces with a camera. The eye is so much better at picking up the shifting sparkle as the light travels through.

Posts: 4686 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
Love it all!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the eyecandy! I love Chihuly glass and have visited the exhibit in Seattle which is the largest Chihuly exhibit in the world. I collect art glass but couldn't justify those prices so had to be content with a small piece from another Seattle glass artist as a memento of the trip.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12758 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Very nice ladies TFS!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13166 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post