Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  flowers for cancer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

flowers for cancer Sign In/Join 
Picture of shook29
posted
Hi, everyone. I have a little girl in my class undergoing treatment for brain cancer. She spends a lot of time at the children's hospital, and I thought it would be nice to have my class decorate terra cotta pots, plant flower seeds and then deliver them to the pediatric patients at the hospital. Her favorite color is purple. I've always used marigold seeds in the past because they are so easy, but is there anything purple in color that might work as well? Thanks for your help!

Posts: 862 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
That's a good idea. However, so many of sick folks aren't allowed to have real flowers or plants of any kind, so best to check with the hospital first.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6586 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe some fake purple pansies/violets in those pots would cheer if real won't do???

Posts: 890 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
FFG is right. Check with the hospital first. When our daughter had leukemia no live plants were allowed on the unit. We sent balloons. It is a nice thought , though.

Posts: 15320 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Cute idea I heard of is getting a huge roll of paper & just let kids continue to add messages, poems, own creative pics & such in a big scroll to be delivered to the patient. Maybe post pics of flowers & label by name to learn to id flowers? Wonderful idea...perhaps make paper flower bouquet? Let us know how she is doing?

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12915 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Great idea. But how about fake flowers so they will not die.

Real flowers have to be watered and cared for.

You're an angel!

Posts: 4908 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shook29
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. It turns out that they can't have live flowers at the hospital. I didn't even think about that. The patients said what they want most are books, so I'm organizing a book drive at school. Thanks again for your ideas!

Posts: 862 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Luv R Pups
posted Hide Post
A book drive sounds like a great idea. I hope it is very successful and that it lifts the spirits of this young lady and thus helps with her recovery.

Luv R Pups
~ It's our relationships, with God and with each other, that really count in life. ~
~~ Gardening, a healthy addiction! ~~

Posts: 4368 | Location: E Cent. GA, Zone 8 | Registered: Apr 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post