Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Paper Wasp or Yellow Jacket?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paper Wasp or Yellow Jacket? Sign In/Join 
Picture of bana
posted
this is a clay sun hanging on back wall that faces south and gets all day sun.

Posts: 3891 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
here is what's in its mouth. i had to tweak the color of the face so the hive would show.

Posts: 3891 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
here's a nearby trap but one was hovering so i didn't take a closer look to try and id what they are. does anyone know? and how safe is it to try and spray the hive myself either at night or in the morning?

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Paper wasps...

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...paper+wasp&FORM=IGRE

Yellow jackets....

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...low+jacket&FORM=IGRE

Hard to tell in your pictures, but looks more like paper wasps to me.
I would spray AFTER DARK!...with one of those things that sprays for 20'! They should all be on the "nest" then.
We have been fighting them here. There seem to be more of them this year than in years past.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5048 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
hard to tell.. they look so much alike to me. the reason i'm guessing (and hoping) they are paper wasps is that i'm out among them and they don't bother me. KNOCK ON WOOD it stays that way.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Nope, paper wasps don't usually both you unless you grab something they are on or disturb their nest.
But I've seen yellow jackets attack just when something vibrated their area, like a lawn mower passing near by.
But I would still do the wasp/hornet spray that has that long spray range and do it after dark!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5048 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keeping in mind that the Paper Wasps are beneficial insects that do not need to be killed off. They are of great benefit to us in helping to control insect pests. I have had numerous nests of these in areas that I spend a lot of time with no problem while the Yellow Jackets have been very aggressive and annoying.
An environmentalist would look at the overall benefit before killing off something that is of such benefit, even if the nest was as close to human contact as that is. If they are not a problem there is no reason to kill them off.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8185 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
thanks KimmSr. as long as they aren't bothering me, i will leave the hive alone. a friend suggested i move the sun + hive somewhere else. no way is that going to happen! i hung the trap near the sun face, hoping to discourage nest building. but that didn't work, so i'll probably take it down.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Since I'm allergic to the paper wasp sting, I really don't want any hanging out in the areas where I work or sit the most. They have a whole woods and out buildings where they can nest! We have had hornets in our woods several years and we never bother them...as long as they stay down there, that's fine with me. Just don't try to build a nest on my porch or in my car port!

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Even if not allergic, the sting hurts like heck!

Since you want to leave them be, at least be very careful to steer clear of them.

Posts: 4660 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know several people that are Anaphylactic, allergic to among many things insect stings, and garden because they will not allow that to get in the way of their lives. Certainly when they are working in the garden they have their epinephrine injector with them, but they will all tell you that they are not overly concerned about being stung by most of the bees or wasps, only the Yellow Jackets. These same people that may also be allergic to foods do exercise more diligence in where they go to purchase food or eat since often just a whiff of the allergen is enough to cause a reaction.

Posts: 8185 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
it seems like there are two kinds of reactions to bees. wasps etc.. people who freak out and those that take things in stride. i'm in the latter group. there were many bees around the sunflowers this year. my garden is so small that i can't help but be in close proximity to bees and wasps.

KimmSr.. i read that winter's freezing temps will kill the colony off naturally. do you agree with that? winters here are mild with temps generally in the 30's.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bana,

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Anxious to see what happens Bana!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13135 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I don't freak out either. And I'm not so allergic that I need to carry an epi pen. But I don't like having my hand & arm swell so much that I can't use it for at least 3 days. That makes going to the bathroom and getting dressed rather awkward.
As I said before, they have the whole woods and the out buildings to build in...they are NOT going to build on my front porch or in my carport!

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Some of these images are hornet nests & not paper wasps...but you can get an idea of how large they can become if they aren't controlled.

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...t+pictures&FORM=IGRE

I had a friend who had them in her attic a few years ago. That nest was so large that the pest control guy wouldn't go up there without protective gear! It was about as large as 2 old metal wash tubs...attached to her chimney that ran up through the attic.

posted Hide Post
In many areas of the world wasps have adapted to the cold and while that does kill off the hive, except for fertile Queens that will survive the winter and begin new colonies in the spring. I'm not sure if the winter temperatures in zone 10 would get cold enough, long enough.

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
i was afraid of that Kimm. our winters are very mild. i'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens.