Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Critters Sign In/Join 
Picture of vera ellen
posted
Caught this big Tom strutting his stuff for the lady friends who aren't in the picture.

Enjoy
ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
While taking the turkey pictures, I noticed this squirrel in the big pine tree nearby. Both were in the pasture in front of the house. When I uploaded the pictures, I noticed the squirrel had a white face. I've never seen anything like this, so I emailed a friend. He said it was an older fox squirrel..they turn gray as they age. Who knew! Not me!

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Whoa! That's one big bird! I'd be afraid to get near him.

Posts: 1093 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Great pics VE!

About your fox squirrel...some are gray to begin with! Some of the ones we have here are gray or black with the white noses and ears. Go down at least 4 lines in the pics and start looking from there....

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...+squirrels&FORM=IGRE

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4308 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
beautiful tom! And what an old grey fox squirrel! hey Vera....hummers are going crazy in Hernando! I've got 20 easy. Got four {quart" feeders out now and they are keeping me busy with refills! They say for every one you see you can multiply x 10....happy hummer time in North Ms/Tn!!!!!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Fluff, the wild turkeys are afraid of you and will run off..no need for you to be afraid.

Karen, Thank you for the link. I have never seen a squirrel marked up like those in the link or like some of you post here. That was a learning experience for me. Who knew? Not me!! Smile

Ruby, quit being a piggy with all the hummers and send some this way. So far I have 3, a male and two females...they are zooming here and there to the beds and visiting the feedes often. I now have all of mine out for them. Just tickled to have my 3 and hoping for babies soon.

ve

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
alright VE - how do you know the difference between male and female? You lookin' under their feathers??? Smile
What are they liking in your bed? (oops, that doesn't sound good.)

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Luv R Pups
posted Hide Post
My personal experience with a wild tom turkey is that it will walk away from you, not toward you. We had one when we lived on the acreage and it went up around the church, which was next to a busy road. So to protect it, I went up there and herded it back down into our back fields. I just kept going around behind it and pushing it the way I wanted it to go. It never flew (although they can if they want) but just kept walking away from me. So it just took a little time to get him to what ia thought would be a safer place for him but it just required some walking and some patience. It was a cool experience for me!

Luv R Pups
~ It's our relationships, with God and with each other, that really count in life. ~
~~ Gardening, a healthy addiction! ~~

Posts: 4365 | Location: E Cent. GA, Zone 8 | Registered: Apr 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Luv - yes, they are afraid of you, will often fly away. I am surprised that you were able to walk him to where you wanted him go. Quite the experience for sure. We have a lot of turkeys here (the feathered and the other kind too Smile

Nance, of course I looked under their feathers, how else would you know - LOL.

Actually these are ruby throats, easy to tell. The males have a distinguishing ruby red throat, the females do not. As for my beds (hehee), mostly they are visiting the oxalis and thrift. The honeysuckle is about to open so they'll have that to feed on too. It won't be long until other more hummer friendly stuff will be blooming. Their favorite is the salvia guarantica. Right now it's only about a foot high..but it grows quickly. I have it all over the yarden.

ve

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
LOL!!!! nance!

VE, sent you an email from my yahoo account.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4308 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Ooo that Tom is a handsome fellow. The ones that pass through here have red wattles instead of blue. They usually run off as soon as they see me. I have to hide to get photos.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post