Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  what to plant with this canna?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what to plant with this canna? Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
I have a dark brown wicker planter that's 18" square. What would you plant with this canna?
I have red petunias and alyssum sitting in the garage waiting for our cold weather to move out to put elsewhere. Whattaya think?
(84 degrees on Tuesday...yay!!!!)

The canna looks like this with dark brown/bronze leaves almost the color of the pot.
I think in our temps, it will take awhile before those canna flowers appear, so in the mean time, thought I'd put some color in the pot.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Here's the plant in the pot... I just set it in there for the pic. No dirt in there yet. We're still growing inside for now. Smile

And would you just put one canna plant in there? It says it is a fast grower to 24-30" tall x 15-18" wide.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Bump! I'm not good with this kind of thing! Several of the gals are super at it!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4314 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think your additions sounds wonderful.I have the very same container and love it. My cannas usually fill out quite nicely, so I think one with your other plants should do the trick. Would love to see a follow up picture of this.

Posts: 647 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I got two cannas this weekend and put them out with NG impatiens that can take sun along with some potato vine. It was a bit cold last night, but they looked okay this morning. ~fingers crossed~

What color are they?

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
bet: I will post a pic when I get them potted up. What do you put in your container? How does it weather?

Wanda - they are red with bronze leaves exactly like the picture in the first posting.
Your combination sounds wonderful. Post a pic when you can. I'd love to see them. It's hard finding the NG Impatiens around here. They all say the trucks have been held up because of the unusual weather we've had. How cold did it get for you? It went down to 35 here.
The 10 day forecast will be in the 50's at night, so I'm going to pot them up and get them out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was going to take pics yesterday but I was so busy getting the yard/pots/gardening done that I ran out of time. I especially wanted a pic of my flowering almond, which is un-flowering at the moment Smile

I just read that we may have a frost tonite! Doesn't it just figure? I just got everything finished!!! Out come the plastic bags I guess.

Wanda

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
oh no, WWanda! Where the heck are you?
We've got a hot spell coming tomorrow in the mid 80's and I think we might be done with low night temps finally. All my plants are STAYING out, come heck or high water. Smile

posted Hide Post
I plant sweet potato vines, lantana--the red, yellow or orange types, verbena trailing and petunias with them. How many depends on the pot size, etc. I've even thrown in a celosia with cannas.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nance, I just got my container this year, so I don't know how well it will weather. I have Picasso petunias, some purple wave petunias, and sweet potato vine. I am hoping it will fill out nicely in a few weeks.

Posts: 647 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I'm in northern Mass. I usually put the bright green potato vine in, but it hasn't come in yet I guess.

and I love lantana, another one not in yet.

Wanda

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
oooooh great combination ideas for you Nance. I'm like Karen, not real good with container combinations, but I like the yellow/lime green colors suggested to go with the reddish bronze canna. I do think one canna would be enough, they get really big you know and make a good sized tuber. What about yellow lantana with lime green sp vine?

ve

Posts: 3174 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wanda, Where in northern MA....can't get any more north than Lawrence/Methuen area....or maybe Tyngsboro???or Dracut, or????
By the way, I put my cana in my pond.....they flower so beautifully there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jmchab,

Posts: 656 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Rowley Smile

Wanda

Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the lime green contrast with this leaf color, like a sweet potato vine or creeping jenny.

I also have one this color from last season.

I think I might try the pond idea this year since I can break it up into 2 plants (multiplied A LOT last year) and add some height to the pond to contrast with the floating water hyacinth and lettuce.
Thanks for that idea!

Posts: 3243 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wanda, Go to Country Gardens on Central Street every year. Lived in Newbury for a while many years ago....

Posts: 656 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just planted 4 large containers with cannas like that (they're not up yet). There is one canna, one Red petunia, lime colored sweet potatoe vine and a white calabrachoa. It's not much to look at yet since I only planted things a few days ago or else I would show a picture.

Happily married and mom of 4
Central maryland - Zone 7

Posts: 7650 | Location: Maryland, USA | Registered: Jun 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Small world huh? Country Gardens is right up the street from me. We go there to get supplies for our Koi pond.

I know what you mean about your cannas FM. Mine are all small too, but I'm hoping they'll look spectacular when they grow up. Smile

Wanda