Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vera Ellen Sign In/Join 
Picture of patty louise
posted
On Forensicmom's post about her fountain KG mentioned having a solar fountain. I have a friend who has one & it works great.

No electricity needed for that! That's what you can do.

Posts: 10349 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Wow, good idea..thanks. Are they very expensive, or do you know? Guess I could check Gardeners Supply or google them.

In a normal year, we certainly have enough sunshine to keep one running Smile

Thanks

ve

Posts: 3174 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Be careful & get a good one. I paid $50 for one to put into an exsisting (sp) fountain or bird bath & it didn't last one whole season.
But mine was also one of the very early solar ones...maybe they have improved a bunch. ???

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4308 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
I saw one on QVC.It was so pretty and had 5 ways of water directions and also can sit a flower pot on top.QVC has 1 yr.warrenty.I'd think it was worth it to get it.Take it down and bring inside the garage or out building.

Posts: 2991 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I did a Google search........lots of suppliers out there and quite the price range too...anywhere from 39.99 to 300.00. I think I'll wait and look locally where I can talk with someone.

Are we talking about just the pump, or the entire fountain with pump included? I think I'd prefer the entire fountain, because otherwise, I'd have to figure out how to configure the rest of it.

ve

Posts: 3174 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Ok, what is a solar fountain?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trygardening
posted Hide Post
I have two solar fountains and love them both. One I bought from QVC a few years ago,the other one from Grandinroad which was heavily discounted. They only work when the sun is out or maybe a bit cloudy. But I can switch them off and save the solar power for the evening if I want to.

There is nothing more pleasing than watching the birds sipping water or taking a bath in them.
Thinking of getting another one.

Posts: 846 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Jan 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nance425:
Ok, what is a solar fountain?

It is a yard fountain that is run by solar power instead of using electric to run the pump.
They have a little solar panel that you have to direct towards the sun.

Mine was one you put into an already established something....like a bird bath or even just a deep saucer with water. It had the solar panel, the pump and the water director or which you had 4 choices of how the water came out/up....a bubbler, a straight up stream or 2 different sprays.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4308 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post