Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Some Fencerow Bloomers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Fencerow Bloomers Sign In/Join 
Picture of vera ellen
posted
Snapped these the other day...the wedding is 22 days away. These are the flowers along the fence that borders the open area where the wedding will be. The butterflies are loving this row of bloomers.

Posts: 3733 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
and another

Posts: 3733 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Butterfly on Mexican Sunflower

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
and my trusty garden companion who came to help me water.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
How beautiful!!! Plus, I love your helper!

Posts: 3273 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous! I love the 'unplanned' spontaneous look to your fencerow.

Cute pup! Love how that type of dog always has their nose to the ground - scent is everything to them.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12758 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4_seasons
posted Hide Post
Vera, I love it!!!!! So simple, yet lovely. That rustic building in the background really sets it off. Smile Willie is such a sweetie.

Posts: 186 | Location: Illinois 5a | Registered: Mar 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!!

What are the white flowers in the top px?

Posts: 7291 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Thanks ya'll...it will be a rustic wedding, in front of the barn - pews will be placed where Willie is sniffing...fence will be to the left of the pews...so it needed to have that "wildflower" look.

metwo - actually those white flowers are green zinnias. They just look white because of the light reflection I guess. This is my first year to try them, and they are really pretty.
Here - I took a picture of them while snapping the others.

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Oh lovely!!! Has the bride been keeping track of how it looks? I bet she's over the moon about it.

Did you direct sow the seeds ... or plant nursery seedlings or your own? Every plant looks so healthy, no signs of the August shrivel mine always have.

Posts: 4686 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
you have a great eye for composition and beautiful gardens to shoot. everything looks so natural.. like mother nature did it all herself. can't wait for the wedding pics!

Posts: 3905 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Lovely, lovely. My favorite kind of garden.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6828 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Everything is turning out perfectly! So pretty.

Posts: 5025 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Wow What a wonderful country look! You must save all your seeds from year to year? I love gardens that tend to sprawl! TFS!!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13165 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Thanks y'all. Actually, my DIL Cindy and I planted those plants from bought seeds this year. We planted groupings, trying to get complimentary colors, then repeated the process. Granddaughter wanted the wildflower look, not structured at all. Well, that's what she got. Son and hubby tilled up the bermuda grass and hard barn lot soil in front of the fence, we amended it with some manure and bought top soil. I am actually amazed at how well it turned out. The kids bought soaker hoses to make watering easier on me, since they can't get over here daily to water. Yes, the granddaughter bride has been here to help as well....she comes home on weekends and comes over to help weed or whatever needs doing. We are just so afraid that the sunflowers won't last until the wedding. I may end up buying artificial blooms and wiring them to the sunflower stalks Wink. Wouldn't that be something - LOL

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm really glad to know that all that work and planning to get that 'unplanned look' is paying off so well. Goes to show how much you know what you're doing, VE. Also glad to hear the young'uns are helping you out with it.
I just love weddings. Can't wait for the photos to come.

Posts: 4686 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I concur! It looks GREAT! And planning an "unplanned" look is quite a feat!
I'm glad you are getting help too and hope it all makes it for 20 more days!

AND THEN....YOU "NEED" to take a rest! Are you listening???

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5125 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very pretty VE. I want my DS to plant wildflowers just scatter seeds along his fence row for his bees.

Carlene

Posts: 1814 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KarenNY1 zone 7
posted Hide Post
Just beautiful, Vera, as always. Can't wait for the wedding photos.

Posts: 185 | Location: Wharton,NJ Zone 7 | Registered: Apr 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Everything is so pretty, I just love that look, especially the sunflowers! Your Zinnias came out great, mine so-so. How many guests are you having at the wedding and are ya'll doing the cooking yourselves?? (just thinking about that makes me nervous) You go girl, this is a wonderful memory (and your granddaughter is so lucky to have wonderful grandparents nearby (and willing and able to do something like this) Not everyone is that fortunate, count your blessings!!!!

Posts: 2549 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
OMGosh that fence line is simply charming!

Posts: 10426 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
thank y'all. Wavie, I chose all the seeds because they can take heat and drought, although without the soaker hoses, most likely they wouldn't have grown so lush. The wedding is catered...son and DIL are paying, not me - LOL

She should have gotten married this weekend because the sunflowers are peaking. Crossing my fingers that they will hold on until the 30th. Only 13 more days. I was deadheading the zinnia's to keep them blooming....Cindy (DIL) is coming over this afternoon to do that since I can no longer do some of the maintenance.

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
i'm SO GLAD to hear the wedding will be catered. that is such a load off your plate for that day!

Posts: 3905 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
beautiful

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful, I love all the colorful flowers.

Posts: 3275 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Love all the different flowers! Perfect for an outdoor wedding! I grew zinnias too because they bloom so fast. Love the green ones too.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7577 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post