Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  How to get what you want from seed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to get what you want from seed Sign In/Join 
Picture of nettiejay
posted
I just received some agastache (hyssop) seeds in the mail. I researched for weeks, trying to find the best color choice for the spot where they'll grow. I'd look at one site for "Heather Queen", then another. I google-imaged the variety to see an array of different photos of that variety all together on one page. The majority looked the way I want them to be; others looked bright red, radically different from what I want them to be! How do I know what I'll end up with?

So... How do you really know what you'll be getting when you try something new in your garden? Does it have to be by necessity all trial and error? Seed isn't that expensive to waste if you end up pulling it out and starting over; but what about those pricey perennial pots, bulbs, shrubs, trees? Do you trust the photos? I have, and I've been disappointed or surprised several times.

Posts: 4622 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mostly go with the old time favorites and don't spend on seeds unless I'm sure of variety and color. Go to the garden centers when the plants are in bloom and that's one sure way to tell color. Then if you send for seeds you'll be sure of what you get. Other than that, if it's a surprise just transplant it where the color fits. Not just photos that can fool you, but plant tags have been known to be wrong....and that can hurt if it's an expen sive one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jmchab,

Posts: 918 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Since I'm not fussy about colors...it doesn't really matter to me unless it is UGLY!
But I move things from time to time too!
I trust the colors on the seed packets and haven't been disappointed too many times...even if it's not EXACTLY what the picture showed.

But I also have a LOT more space to work with than a lot of you gals.

I'm more into....if one side of a bed has X, the other side also has to have X! And since things don't always grow the same...that sometimes frustrates me! So what is that?...cementrical??(sp?)

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since I'm not fussy about colors...it doesn't really matter to me unless it is UGLY!

I totally agree with Karen. I don't care at all if the color or size isn't exactly as it is pictured on the seed packet or on-line. I just care if the flowers are pretty & HEALTHY!!!
I like surprises anyway so it doesn't matter to me!!

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Well, y'all have seen pictures of my gardens, so you know that I like a riot of colors, so the perfect shades don't bother me...and like Karen, I have a lot more space than a lot of you do.

I pretty much trust seed packet pictures. I've learned over the years that full sun doesn't necessarily mean southern full sun, and that partial shade here means total shade. Take astibille...I love it......but here, even with total shade, it just gets too hot. The plants wither and die. So I think it is a trial and error learning process.

What really fustrates me is when it says all season bloom, and you just get the first flush in the spring and then nothing!

ve

Posts: 3658 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Thanks ladies. Clearly, my attitude needs readjustment. Wink LOL
I'll hope for the best with the agastache. It'll give me something to look forward to won't it?

Posts: 4622 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post