Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  getting started
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

getting started Sign In/Join 
posted
Pergola garden is getting a little color added to it.

Carlene

Posts: 1754 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few little zinnias orange not red. Planted HBV up one post, DH cucumbers on one, Cardinal vine and Mandeville on the others. Should have color before long. We've had so much rain the things are struggling!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silly bird,

Carlene

Posts: 1754 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carlene, love the butterfly weed. Can't wait to see mine and the butterflies.

Posts: 926 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
How tall is that butterfly weed? I scattered some seeds & I can't find it? It doesn't like my yard!
So pretty.

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13115 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the butterfly weed.

Posts: 3228 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Muddy it is about 2' tall. I bought it at the nursery.

Carlene

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
the butterfly weed looks happy in your garden. like muddy, i sowed seeds and got nothing.

Posts: 3886 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
muddy and bana, I wintersowed mine and planted in the spring. They have a long tap root so if they ever take wherever you want them, don't move them. Can't imagine why they didn't come up....
did you sow the seeds in the fall?

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
yes, jan i did sow them direct in the ground last fall. its probably just as well they didn't take because if they have a tap root, they'll probably take over and this is too tiny a garden for that. i have daylilies, callas and feverfew where they would have been and am happy with the bed as is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bana,

Posts: 3886 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Pretty! And will really look great when it all fills out!

Jan, the wild orange ones I've dug up don't just have a tap root...they have a big tuber along with the root!...but they never last more than a couple three of years for me.

I got some of the seeds that Barb sent me to come up, but the plants have really been slow to grow once I planted them out.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4997 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Very pretty. Love the colors.

Posts: 4979 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Karen, DO you have your butterfly weed planted in real rich soil? I think they are considered a wildflower. The two spots mine are in have lean, well drained soil...one in full sun, one in part shade. Poor, dry soil....

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmchab:
Karen, DO you have your butterfly weed planted in real rich soil? I think they are considered a wildflower. The two spots mine are in have lean, well drained soil...one in full sun, one in part shade. Poor, dry soil....

No, they are planted in the concrete blocks I have around my big raised bed. I filled those blocks from a pile we had...not rich at all! Most of it was clay that the fire ants had brought up when they built a big mound in my pile!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4997 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Looking good. When it fills in, you are going to be so proud.

My butterfly weeds came from the neighbors pasture..and ditto on the tuber/tap root. They thrive here along roadsides...and seem to enjoy poor soil...although they are in my beds with amended soil now. They are still doing well.

ve

Posts: 3663 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post