Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  "Border geraniums"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Border geraniums" Sign In/Join 
posted
I was talking about gardens and plants with a co worker the other day and she said she had border geraniums in her bed other years. I assumed she meant hardy geraniums.and well it was in the west and sunny I was reminded later and perrenial geraniums are more for shade, aren't they? And that would not be in hot sun. After googling I really wonder if that is what I assumed. She insisted they are called "Border geraniums". I wonder if they are real geraniums and not perennials.
Can you help me.

Posts: 4563 | Location: midwest | Registered: Aug 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I just googled and found that Thompson and Morgan has seeds called Border Geraniums that are hardy perennials. Good for full sun, sun or semi shade.

http://search.thompson-morgan....s/Border%20Geraniums

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12599 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't it seem they show both. Yet the third or fourth one has the words Border and it seems to be a regular annual geranium, doesn't it?

thank Joy luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: loverofdesign,

Posts: 4563 | Location: midwest | Registered: Aug 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thats so new to me it does say half hardy perennial. I had no idea they come as perennials like that. I am going to ask her if hers returns every year. [I know she wanted to redo her bed with something really low.]

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I've not heard of Border Geraniums before. However, I've had geraniums for years that sat on my patio in the sun here in Florida, with only a bit of passing shade. They did get sprinkled, though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Florida Farm Girl,

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6212 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
There are low growing geraniums that spread and prefer full sun to part shade. There are so many varieties of Geraniums and Pelargonium that your co-worker may have been using a generic or popular term. Why not ask her if they were low growing spreading or just low growing geraniums? I wonder if she was using the name Geranium when she was actually growing a Pelargonium. I live in the west and that is how we commonly refer to Pelargoniums. I wasn't sure from your post when you used the word "west" if you were referring to a geographical location or sun exposure. BTW, According to the International Geranium Society a true geranium is a hardy perennial. Here is a link to their website. I checked the site with my anti-virus software and is it rated as OK -

http://www.internationalgeraniumsociety.com/

If you prefer not to click on the link but are still interested use your favorite browser search engine and enter their name as it appears above. That way you can use your anti-virus software to check if the site is safe.

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. it must be the west exposure around her house. I had heard the hardy geraniums were for shade, but I have them on the east side of my house or at least the wild ones and they get south sun part of the day. but otherwise my idea of annual geraniums is as much sun a possible. I go for these in pots and such. And I am able to winter them over inside. I had thought she meant the hardy too, but suspect now it is not those.Thanks to you guys' links.
Sometimes I see the geraniums in sections and don't really zone in to see why they are different than others. other than the difference in leaves and color.

Well I am blabbing and will let it all go now. I don't see her that often. My curiosity satisfied and I have learned something new.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: loverofdesign,

Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
There are over 250 varieties of geranium, known throughout the temperate regions but only a limited number are used in the border. True perennial types known as 'cranesbills' are usually referred to as 'hardy geranium'.
There is one variety "robertianum" that is best admired in a field, not in your garden.

The 'annual' geranium is the pelargonium---often confused with geranium.
But considering this plant can be brought back year after year, it is hard to think of it as an annual.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post