Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mushrooms Sign In/Join 
Picture of thebrownthumb
posted
While on vacation, my sister took me to this craft fair. There was a booth with a very novel idea. They were selling logs that had been plugged with Shitake mushroom spores. I bought 2 logs and brought them home. Can't wait for fresh mushrooms.Yum

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments. Janet Kilburn Phillips

Posts: 4431 | Location: Central PA | Registered: Sep 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
what fun. where do you keep them?

Posts: 3816 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted to try that. Good for you. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7825 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a neat idea. Enjoy.

Posts: 891 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Thumbie~~ We want pictures!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12925 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
bana...I live in the woods,in fact the only sun areas are where my garden is and where the pool is. I soaked the logs for 24 hours and then leaned 1 against a tree and the smaller one I just set on the ground. This booth was selling them like crazy.
Right now they are just logs muddy, I'll take pics when I start to get shrooms.(which should be in @ a week)

Posts: 4431 | Location: Central PA | Registered: Sep 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
That's so cool. I won't eat them up DH can't get enough of them! So be sure to give us all the details! I saw mushrooms in the grass this morning!

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Growing edible mushrooms would be so fun! Let us know how it works out.

quote:

Originally posted by muddyshoes:...I saw mushrooms in the grass this morning!
I know you know to leave them be, but here's a warning about those...
My friend's grand-doggy got very, very sick recently. Couldn't figure out why. The granddaughter had picked a big pile of those lawn toadstools before her mom noticed and warned her they were poison and to stop picking them. The GD walked away and the pile didn't get picked up. The pup apparently dug into the pile and landed in intensive vet care. Almost died from liver failure. The vet bill was well over $1000.

So, just an FYI - If you have pets, pick up and dispose of those things in the trash. And definitely, don't be fixin' mushroom risotto for the hubster!

Posts: 4519 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
cool, will wait for pictures.

Posts: 15321 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I smash the grass mushrooms Nettie...sometimes snap pics to learn to ID them but don't even like the smell when I cook them for DH. Wow~~ good to know I should keep doggie away..with all this rain we'll have sooo many!

Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
I checked the logs when I got home from watching my GS. One of them has started to push out mushy's. Will check again tomorrow and maybe take pics.

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
That is something new for the Board & always like to learn something new.

Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
Mushy's

Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
Smile

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Too cool for words!

Posts: 4519 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
So when do you harvest? Keep the log in dark place? I want to see the pics from log to plate! LOL Hope that bear doesn't get them! :>)

Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
When the caps open they are ready. I keep them in the wooded area behind my garden, so I can reach them with the hose.
I bought some button mushrooms that I am going to do in the basement.

Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
just picked this one, at this size it would probably take 3 to make a lb

Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
I should have some more tomorrow or the next day

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
That is so cool!

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7422 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
You should go into business! LOL You must have the perfect conditions!

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Wow...love this. I love mushys....

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Ohhhhhh, shrooms...great job. I want to try that. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7825 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post