Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Is this an Elderberry???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this an Elderberry??? Sign In/Join 
posted
I was walking on the hill above the pond snapping shots of eventual landscape areas to develop and found this guy. There was an elderberry bush at one of my previous houses and this reminds me of it. It's out in the middle of nowhere so it must have been a "gift", but if I remember right, the elderberries at the other place bloomed earlier in the year and would have had fruit by or before now. What do ya think?

Christie

Posts: 3972 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sick of IDs yet? Big Grin

Here are the leaves, etc.

Christie

Posts: 3972 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
It could very well be elderberry. Looks like it to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Bella - this is my Elderberry, Black Lace. Your flower looks similar.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
closr pic of flower

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
let me know if you want any other pics??? Smile
Black Lace gets a lot of "oo's and aw's" from the neighbors! Smile

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Looks like it to me too! Here's a link to images.....

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...elderberry&FORM=IGRE

There is a gal on another board that makes wine from hers! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
My mom use to make elderberry pies. Can taste them now.

Posts: 15197 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the old house, I used to pick them and give them to my mom. She made pies from them too. Elderberry bies are one of the few specific childhood memories I have.

Yesterday, I went up there looking for one of my missing cats and gave the blooms a sniff. I remember the smell from the old house.
They're definitely elderberries. How they got there is a mystery to me. We killed off all the brush and nonsense on that hill last year, so I guess they're birdie gifts.

Christie

Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I love birdie surprises. I have been waiting on a bird to drop some rhubarb seeds. But then I don't think there is such a thing.Guess I will have to buy a start next year.

Posts: 15197 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by owie:
I love birdie surprises. I have been waiting on a bird to drop some rhubarb seeds. But then I don't think there is such a thing.Guess I will have to buy a start next year.

Yes, there are rhubarb seeds...available at Crosman Seed Corp. I've gotten them a couple of times...I get little plants and shortly after I set them out down here in our heat...even in the shade, they die. I've also spent $25 for hunks (starts) and they died also. Guess I'm not supposed to grow rhubarb down here. And those starts were supposed to be for hotter areas. Roll Eyes
Just like my horseradish is VERY small. Been in place for over 3 yrs. now and I dug a BIG hole and loosened our clay down over 1 1/2' before I planted it. And I've fertilized it and it still isn't doing much. Some things just won't grow down here no matter how much I want them to or what I do.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I went and goggled after that post of mine and found rhubarb seeds. Then I read they were difficult to germinate. I know our little family Ace hardware sells starts in the springtime. I am going to try that next spring. My mom had no problem growing rhubarb or horseradish. Both grew like weeds. They gardening in Central PA. Little different climate than you have Karen!!