Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Problem w New Guineas - Update
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem w New Guineas - Update Sign In/Join 
Picture of nettiejay
posted
Am using these for the first time this year. Had always thought they need at least partial shade to thrive, but the tag on this variety says full sun - 8+ hours a day - is fine. Even though I was skeptical about that, I decided to try them for a full-sun planter.

No sooner than I got them in, the leaves started showing these spots. (Not the yellow central color; that's normal for this variety. I mean the bleached areas with tan edges and a few holes.) I immediately thought "sun scald", although I guess it might be some kind of disease. If it's sun scald, I'll just move them somewhere more sheltered. If it's a disease, guess I'll have to pull them and cut my losses... ?

Anyone know what it is?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nettiejay,

Posts: 4361 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KarenNY1 zone 7
posted Hide Post
I know the regular Impatiens has a disease this year but I hadn't heard about the New Guinea ones. In fact, my condo has them planted all over our development. Maybe you just got a couple of bad ones. I would cut off the leaves and see what happens.

Posts: 164 | Location: Wharton,NJ Zone 7 | Registered: Apr 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Did you check for slugs. I found 3 huge ones eating my petunias. Never thought I had them.

Posts: 15212 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
that actually looks like sun scald to me, but then, I'm no expert either.

I passed up buying some because they literally looked sick..just all puny and wilted looking, yet the soil was damp, so I know they had been watered.

ve

Posts: 3233 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
For the benefit of anyone who has this problem in the future, I've figured out that it's some kind of disease - probably fungal - that isn't killing the plants, but is disfiguring to the ornamental foliage. As of now, the spots are small and ringed in red. The brown, crusty-looking spots are gone - Must have been a result of cool spring with frequent rains. From a distance you only notice the blooms, so I'm leaving them in for this season, but probably won't use them again.

I used google images to find sun scald on impatiens, and it doesn't look at all like this.

Posts: 4361 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post