Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Mrs. Whaley & her Charleston Garden
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mrs. Whaley & her Charleston Garden Sign In/Join 
Picture of patty louise
posted
Just finished reading - what a delightful book!

Lots of life lessons in that book! Loved it!

Posts: 10352 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I am so disappointed.......our library does not have that book, so checked a library in another county, they don't either. It's not a free download on my kindle and I'm not paying 14 bucks to Amazon for it. Bummer!

I'm glad that you enjoyed the book...I've been searching for it ever since someone first posted the garden pictures on this board.

ve

Posts: 3201 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Vera I found a used copy on Amazon for $2.00 or maybe Abe books. I always buy the used ones!

Posts: 10352 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Ok, I found the book at Abe books for 3.49....free shipping. Since you use this, I'm assuming this is a safe website and my Visa card number will be protected, right?

I did find a kindle version on Amazon, but they wanted 9.99....not paying that...no freebies or cheapies at all on Amazon. I would have preferred a kindle version.

Thanks again

ve

Posts: 3201 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
I'm so glad you liked the book. I still need to get those pics posted. My sister sent them to me but I guess it's a different format because I couldn't post them. I'll have to get my DH to help.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
vera ellen.. when using your credit card online, look for the little lock icon at top right. also, the URL at beginning of address bar will say https which tells you the transmission in encrypted. if it says http (without the s) then its not secure.

patty louise.. you make the book sound delightful. now i want to get it.

Posts: 3552 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm assuming this is a safe website and my Visa card number will be protected, right?

I have been using Amazon & Abe for at least 5 years & never had a problem.

I have put pencil marks in the margin of mine to mark things I want to remember that she said. I would love to have met her!

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
I love how she called her husband her "Pearl of great price." Also, when she said "there is only one gardener in a garden." I love that because DH and I have very different ideas about gardening and since I'm the one who has done all of this work, I have to remind him "Mrs. Whaley said......."

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
oh my, I like the one gardener to a garden saying...and I'm glad that others have spouses with different opinons. We are constantly arguing over my shrubs. He wants them all pruned and up out of the way of the rider when he's mowing.....I keep trying to tell him that shrubs are not single trunk trees. Mind you, he loves my gardens and brags on them, but everytime he mows and has to dodge branches we have this "conversation". HA!

ve

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vera ellen:
oh my, I like the one gardener to a garden saying...and I'm glad that others have spouses with different opinons. We are constantly arguing over my shrubs. He wants them all pruned and up out of the way of the rider when he's mowing.....I keep trying to tell him that shrubs are not single trunk trees. Mind you, he loves my gardens and brags on them, but everytime he mows and has to dodge branches we have this "conversation". HA!

ve

Gee, my DH & I have that "conversation" too!! Big Grin I made him happy this past week. I cut back a lot of stuff...so no excuses for not mowing close to things now!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4349 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh my gosh, I saw that womans pics of garden many years ago. and I loved it. I had it in mind when I planted my front beds, only it evolved too much. I was using yellow and white and then the layers of height. I want to see the book. Imagine a whole book.!!

google reader-http://books.google.com/books?id=olduWmJYCP8C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_atb#v=onepage&q&f=false

This message has been edited. Last edited by: loverofdesign,

Posts: 4563 | Location: midwest | Registered: Aug 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Yes, one gardener to a garden! I will ask DHs opinion sometimes & he says "that's fine". OMG how I hate that answer.

He mows the lawn but I use a push mower around my flower bed at the white fence & I do the weed eating. I don't trust him. He flies on that mower!

"Though there are other ways to finance your gardening, one successful way is to choose carefully whom you marry. A good and generous man is needed, one who knows how to make money and enjoys sharing it....." LOL! Love this woman!

FYI There are no pictures in the book.....I wish there were, but it's still a wonderful little book.

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
"Though there are other ways to finance your gardening, one successful way is to choose carefully whom you marry. A good and generous man is needed, one who knows how to make money and enjoys sharing it....."

Now, did she have things figured right, or what??? Smile

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6224 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
i MUST get this book.. it sounds delightful.

i'm the gardener in my family. DH's idea of gardening is to plant concrete and paint it green. no kidding. he would probably do that if i wasn't around.

Posts: 3552 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
Seems like an interesting book. Lots of nice pictures too? I found these online.
http://www.google.com/search?q...1112&bih=859#imgrc=_

Posts: 3243 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Jvelo, aren't those pictures great? And it's not a huge garden.

No, there are no pics in the book. Just reading.

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
DH's idea of gardening is to plant concrete and paint it green. no kidding. he would probably do that if i wasn't around.

LMAO!