Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plant ID? Sign In/Join 
Picture of *Bella*
posted
Anyone know what this might be? Looks familiar and is growing by our pet cemetery. I don't remember planting anything that looks like it, but then there are lots of things I don't remember anymore. Roll Eyes

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Just a guess here - leaves look similar to my fall anemone.

ve

Posts: 3535 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could it be a tree of some kind? Does it have a woody stem? May be a gift from a squirrel or a bird.

love life

Posts: 1499 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
The leaves look like a squash or melon plant. But, it seems to be growing upright. Hmmmm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7804 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking 'mulberry'.

Posts: 4491 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nettiejay:
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking 'mulberry'.

Looks like there are at least a couple different mulberrie varieties/leaves. A maybe?

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...t=mulberry&FORM=IGRE

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4794 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:
Looks like there are at least a couple different mulberrie varieties/leaves. A maybe?

Right. There is one with a deeply lobed leaf; it isn't that one. But the other has an irregularly heart-shaped, unlobed leaf with a saw tooth edge. That's the one I'm thinking of.

Posts: 4491 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
I tromped out there to investigate that thing again. It's gotten taller and some of the leaves are almost as big as an average person's head. They are furry and so are the stalks which seem to be very moist inside. It doesn't appear to be a tree. I think it reminds me of squash, but it might be too big for that. It's probably at least 3 or more feet tall and grows pretty fast. I didn't see that it was trying to make fruit/veg. and I don't have a garden so the birds must have brought it in. There may be another one peeking out of the grass not too far away. It's really kinda weird.

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Fast growing, furry, head size leaves?? Eek
I give up. Confused

Picture of Luv R Pups
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking it might be a young Paulownia tomentosa, AKA Princesstree, which is an invasive tree which is spreading quite quickly in parts of GA and much of the SE. It has beautiful flowers but makes lots of seeds and spreads much too quickly.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PATO2

Check out the pix here, especially some of the ones from the middle to the bottom that show some of the larger leaves.

http://www.invasive.org/browse/subthumb.cfm?sub=2426

Luv R Pups
~ It's our relationships, with God and with each other, that really count in life. ~
~~ Gardening, a healthy addiction! ~~

Posts: 4368 | Location: E Cent. GA, Zone 8 | Registered: Apr 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Ooooh, it does look like a Princess Tree. Guess that's not a good thing. Frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7804 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Okay, I shouldn't be jumping back in here, especially since I can't ID this.
But the pix I'm seeing of Paulownia tomentosa online don't show a saw tooth edge on the leaves. And they seem to be more elongated than the plant in Bella's photo.
Just sayin'... Unless there are other varieties of Paulownia that have serrated edges... ?

ETA: Ohmigosh. I just checked the Wikipedia entry for "Paulownia", which says there are between 6 and 17 species in the Paulownia family (depending on which expert you go by). So there certainly could be a smooth-edged variety somewhere in the bunch. Otherwise, it all seems to fit - fuzzy underleaves, huge size, etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nettiejay,

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Bella, I have a suggestion...break off a leaf, put it into a zip lock bag and take it to your local county extension office to see if they can give a positive ID. If they can't, they should be able to send the leaf to your state university for a positive ID!
If it's a princess tree, you will want to get rid of it asap or be pulling them up for the rest of your life!

There is one land owner about 10 mi. from me that planted a whole field of those things, at least a couple of acres! It's beautiful when they bloom, but hard telling how many people are now fighting them due to birdie presents!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4794 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Y'all are crackin' me up. Funny you should mention the Princess Tree. There is one about 10' away. There is new growth on one closer to the pond that we thought was dead. Guess it wasn't. Anyway, I investigated the two plants early on since I thought that;s probably what it was. The stalks are different as well as the leaves both in appearance and texture. I suspect it's a weed or something else I don't want growing there. We're still trying to get the sumac tamed from that area. All kinds of crazy stuff growing around here.

Yesterday, I went to get a load of mulch for the front yard and what d you know? There was one growing in a pile of weeds at the greenhouse. Their expert wasn't there or I would have asked. That kind of confirmed the weed theory. I'll need some more mulch, so maybe I'll ask next time.

For anyone interested, here's a couple of shots of the weed and a few of the Princess Tree for comparisons...just for kicks.

This is "the plant" from a distance. The Princess tree is the short tree to the right next to the opening of the little clearing back there. The plant is in the middle of the foreground. Most of the rest are baby sumac trees and weeds that need whacked.

Christie

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Close up of the mystery plant. I don't have small hands it it's way bigger! Furry serrated leaves.

Christie

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Full plant.

Christie

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Furry wet stems. They really do feel a little slimy now that I think of it.

Christie

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Princess Tree growing off the side of an old stump. The one we have has smooth edges.

Christie

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
The new little sprout has a smooth woody single "trunk."

There are also a couple of mulberry trees on the property. I checked them out too. Very different than the mystery plant. Tasty berries though!

Christie

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
As an often-frustrated, impatient, and defeated gardener, my theory has always been - If it's growing like gangbusters in a place you don't want it, it's almost always a weed. Roll Eyes

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Bella - this is driving me nuts..........as I was doing a yarden walk yesterday afternoon, I noticed my Turks Cap. Leaves and growth habit are similar, although my leaves aren't as big as yours appear to be. However, do you have a Turks Cap nearby, or could any of your neighbors.

Just a thought.

ve

Posts: 3535 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
What's the verdict? What's the verdict? LOL
That one picture almost looks like a veggie vine?
These have me up at night! LOL !!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12839 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
The leaves on that thing are at least a foot around now. Still no clue about what it is. I sprayed some grass killer around it yesterday, so I can see what's going on at the base. I suspect it's a weed and wouldn't doubt that it is a relative of my nemesis the poke salad. I hate poke salad. It's just everywhere!

Christie

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Send your pics to your county extension office & ask them.