Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  not happy with New Guinea impatiens ths year
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

not happy with New Guinea impatiens ths year Sign In/Join 
Picture of owie
posted
They looked beautiful when I bought them a week ago. Today I went out to plant them and a lot of their leaves are off and they have white stuff on them. The leaves on the plants look alright. do you think they will be alright? I planted some but I am not sure.

Posts: 15197 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
The white stuff sounds like a mold or mildew...douse them good with vinegar water and see what happens.

I was at Home Depot last evening and looked at their New Guinas...theirs looked terrible and certainly not worth the 3.97 per pot they were asking.

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Vera, how do I do that?

Posts: 15197 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure how often you watch the news but there have been MANY reported problems with downy mildew on Impatiens this year. A quick Google search will turn up numerous stories.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Find your receipt and take back a few to show them (or if you paid by credit card, they will have a record) and get your money back or store credit. They should refund cost, as they sound sick/diseased.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted May 18, 2013 06:10 PM Hide Post
Not sure how often you watch the news but there have been MANY reported problems with downy mildew on Impatiens this yea

Jim, I thought it was just with the "regular" impatiens, not the NG. ???

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found it on many of the NG Impatiens as well as on Wax Begonias this year. (I suspect that's because they are often displayed next to each other in the garden centers/stores.) I ended up not planting as many annuals as I normally do and even then, only planted what I can grow from seed myself.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I thought it was just the regular impatiens also. That is why I got the New Ginuea. Just my bad. Still wondering how to do the vinegar thing.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Owie, I'm sorry...just failed to get back to this post.

What I'd do is fill a spray bottle half and half with vinegar & water, then practically drown the plants with it, being sure to get the undersides of the leaves as well. Let them drip dry then check to see if the mold/mildew is still there. If possible a dousing under the kitchen sink, spraying with vinegar first, then rinsing off with the water.

This is how I do smaller houseplants that look fugly and in need of cleaning. The larger ones I set in the tub then use the hand held shower head to rinse the vinegar off.

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Oh lawsey, don't use vinegar, that may kill your plant. It's an acid. Used alcohol and water for your spray. 1 TBSP rubbing alcohol or even mouthwash with alcohol & a quart of water.

That's what I use...kills all sorts of nasty bugs, scale, mealy bugs, fungus gnats, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The disease does not affect the NG impatiens. It also does not affect begonias. It specifically targets plain old impatiens. If the NG have problems it is something else. Take them back and get replacement plants. Just Google impatiens online for further info.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Are you sure they didn't get a bit of frostbite? I've got several that look that way too and I thought it was because of the cold. I hope it's not a disease!

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I cleaned mine up the day I first posted this. I have not had a problem since. They all look healthy at the moment. They did not get frostbite because I moved them into the garage the night we had frost.