Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Soil alternative ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soil alternative ? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi, I have a huge planter. Well, it's huge to me. I just measured it 21 1/2 inches deep & 21 1/2 inches wide. That's a lot of soil. I was thinking about using shredded paper as a filler. I thought about this idea when I was shredding my mail. Does anybody have any thoughts about this idea ? Pros and cons ? Thanks

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If you are planting in it, that will take a lot of planting soil to fill, I agree. I think the paper will break down when wet and compress to nothing much in just a short time.

Some ideas to take up some space? Capped, empty, Plastic water/soda bottles could partially fill the bottom, or even large chunks of styrofoam if you have any around.

Posts: 9433 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I use an upside-down plant pot in my largest round container.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12604 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I had a large planter I took a piece of thick styrofoam and cut it to fill half the dimension of the planter, i.e., the bottom half was completely empty. Planter was heavy glazed ceramic so didn't worry about weight. Just filled the top haf with dirt and done. It also helped with freezing in the winter...it never cracked.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Some folks have used crushed/smashed soda cans and Styrofoam peanuts too.
Whatever you use, just make sure that it can drain so you don't have a puddle sitting in there.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4349 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Shredded paper will decompose quickly but I would still mix some throughout the soil because it is organic material. Be careful with the peanuts unless you don't mind them being eventually being mixed all threw the soil. I like the empty upside down pot and empty bottles.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the peanuts a few times but put them in plastic bags so the wouldn't get mixed in the soil. All my pots had drain holes. Good luck

Carlene

Posts: 1382 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Water bottles are everywhere so instead of throwing them in the wherever you dispose of them, use them for your pots. They crush very easy and fill the small areas you still don't want soil to be wasted.
Pop cans, small pots turned over---yes they are a very idea too. Just be sure the plant's roots are in soil and the planter drains well.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank You everybody for your ideas. This time next year, I hope to take pictures along with what method I choose. It's starting to get chilly where I live. I appreciate your feedback & will keep you posted.

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post