Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  From Potted Up to Grounded...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From Potted Up to Grounded... Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
It has been so rewarding to watch these Border Dahlias grow...

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Oh my, those are super pretty! Love that orangeish one!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4332 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
thanks ga.karen. The purple ones are really gorgeous. I just didn't catch them at the right time. I think they're getting the wretched PM, (Powdery Mildew) tho.

Gotta find out what to put on those leaves....

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So gorgeous! The flowers are so beautiful.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
Pretty! Do you ever cut them and bring them inside to enjoy?

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very pretty. I like the orange too.

Carlene

Posts: 1379 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
beautiful. you have wonderful success with seeds.

Posts: 3546 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Those look fantastic.....I love the purple one too. I had good success with my dahlia seeds this year **THUD**, but all I got was the yellowish one like you have. The package said mixed colors..bummer...but the yellowish is pretty.

ve

Posts: 3183 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Thank you all...I potted these up as tubers.

When I thought we'd never get spring and when we did, I figured the ground wouldn't warm up in time to get many flowers....so I did these. Smile

When I get a chance I'll post a better pic of the purple ones. I've never grown that color before. I really do like the lil border dahlias (peach color).

p.s. SSTR, This is only my 2nd year growing dahlias. I'm just pleased to see all of them outside. I just stand at the railing of our deck and look down at them for hours...(O.K.) They are really coming into bloom so I will have some to bring in. Want some? Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
VE: It sounds like yellow is not one of your favorite colors. Not mine either. Peach is my next least favorite color, so I was so happy to see the purple ones bloom. But they all make one smile and say "purdy." Smile

Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just stand at the railing of our deck and look down at them for hours..

I can certainly see why. They are such pretty plants - flower & leaves!

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Good Work Nance! Love to see your work from start to finish! Those are beauties! I have some just budding...(didn't start them until weather warmed.) I was excited about the first opening bud just today! I just love the bright colors~~Don't you?

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12455 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
How nice! Love the peachy orange one too.

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments. Janet Kilburn Phillips

Posts: 4384 | Location: Central PA | Registered: Sep 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
LOL - didn't mean to sound so negative...actually I love yellow in the garden. I was just disappointed that for a package of mixed colors, all I got was yellow. The others must not have germinated.

You know how you have these visions of what the containers are going to look like...well, mine all have yellow dahlias - Big Grin

ve

Posts: 3183 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a lot of work. Well worth it though. Very pretty dahlias. I never grow them because they have to be dug up in the fall....and I stopped storing bulbs in the cellar.

Posts: 660 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jessicasews
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing. The Dahlias are beautiful.
I asked my daughters to go shopping for Annuals with me and when we got to the garden center, one daughter went straight to the Perennials section and the other went to the 'showy' bulbs. I loved seeing their excitement and at the end of the day, I bought a mix of Blues and Purple Annuals, Pincushion Flowers and Dahlias! The DDs are taking lots of pictures - each time there's a new bloom, it's a little different and another beautiful picture.

Posts: 3147 | Registered: Jul 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
jessicasews - Now we're all waiting to see YOUR picures. Smile

Picture of jessicasews
posted Hide Post
Okay, in a new thread!

Edited: Ooooh, I should put my eye drops in so I see what computer keys I'm hitting!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jessicasews,

Posts: 3147 | Registered: Jul 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post