Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  What would you plant in this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you plant in this? Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
Isn't this cute? Picked it up at Menards on clearance. Any ideas what to plant in it? It's 6" wide at the top. It does have a drainage hole in the bottom.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
A salmon-colored geranium. Wink

Posts: 4341 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Salmon colored geranium would be awesome!

Posts: 656 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
It might look nice with dry/silk white flowers
inside the house. You would have to put an additional pot inside with a plant for outside.
A hardy annual ~~maybe something blue?
Some blue forget me nots while they are in bloom would be cute for an outdoor patio table.

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12448 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
a little shamrock plant?

Posts: 3535 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Something that will get taller than the pot is high...and spread out at the top...the geranium should be good. Have fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I like all these ideas......how about a salmon colored shasta daisy? Adorable pot!

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Are these the salmon shasta daisies recommended?
Having a hard time finding them.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Nance, I'm such an idiot......I meant Gerber Daisy...Shastas are outdoor plants and get waaay too big. You should be able to find Gerbers easily right now. How about a bright yellow one to contrast with your blue container?

Sorry for the confusion..old age and stupidity.

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KarenNY1 zone 7
posted Hide Post
I think Lobelia would stand out with the blue in the pot. It has such a blue intensity. One of my favorite plants.

Posts: 163 | Location: Wharton,NJ Zone 7 | Registered: Apr 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
I love that pot/planter and I would plant something in it that won't get too big. Shasta Daisies get really big and they only bloom ONCE the whole entire summer. I like flowers that bloom all summer long. Anything not too tall would be fine. Geraniums are a good choice I think! I think it could be planted outside, it's very cute. Show us what you planted, after you plant it!!!

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Ah, VE you're forgiven. After seeing pics of S.D. and seeing how big they'd get, I thought the same thing. I do like the geranium idea, tho.

I will post back once I plant something. I'll have to wait a bit to do the geranium, right? Cuz we're only getting highs in the 40's. I think next week is s'pose to be warmer.

I was also considering putting a Rosemary plant in I bought a week ago, along with some trailing veggies. I also have Italian Parsley. I s'pose I could put the parsley with the Rosemary, eh? But I have never planted veggies before. I'm branching out.) I'm trying to keep them alive til I can plant them out.
I do like flowers though. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Nance, my rosemary needs SPACE...and the water needs for it (drier) and the parsley are different. I wouldn't plant them together.
Go for a pretty flower that one of the gals suggested.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
You could always plop some silk flowers in it & use it in the house for summer.

Posts: 10349 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks Patti Louse. I'm going with the geranium when they come out. Would you do zonal or the regular ones?

So, Rosemary likes it dry? Parsley more moist?
No wonder my parsley keeps drooping in the house when I don't keep up with the watering.

I got excited one day when it was very nice and brought Rosemary, Lavender and Parsley home with me. I thought our weather would warm up faster and I'd at least be able to put them out for a few hours a day. So now, I'm trying to keep them healthy inside.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I've killed more rosemary than I can count and I think my problem was over-watering it. It is a Mediterranean type plant and that area doesn't get much rain in the summers...sort of like parts of Ca.
Parsley likes regular moisture but not dripping or soppy...just more than a rosemary needs.

I have both planted in the same bed outside, but if I have to water, I don't water the rosemary.
I cut it back last week, it was almost 5' tall and 5' wide! This is the first one I've ever gotten to grow and it was a really pathetic rescue, nearly dead when I bought it for almost nothing.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post