Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impatients Sign In/Join 
Picture of trygardening
posted
Have not been on the board for a while and I am very happy to see the all the familiar names.

I would like to know what everyone is planting instead of impatients this year.
I usually plant them around trees. Planning go to the nursery this weekend and see what they have.
I sure will miss my impatients.

Posts: 846 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Jan 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I don't know yet for sure...I may go with begonias, they were a nice addition last year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7702 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I've done begonias & geraniums so far and I'm trying some new stuff, but don't ask the names. The little tags are out in my garden house & I don't remember.
I did get some mini zinnias, they are in pots & doing good so far.

Our Lowes has impatients, but I wouldn't buy any, not after last year.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4332 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I was at Lowe's a few days ago and they had tons of impatiens. Wasn't interested so I didn't look closely to see what kind.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6219 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I'll do my usual million bells and bacopa for pots, along with geraniums and begonias. For shade I'll stick with my caladiums.

ve

Posts: 3183 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
VE: do you have to plant the caladium tubers every year? Or will they over winter in the ground? I potted up about 20 of them last week, hoping to get a head start up here.

We still have snow on the ground and it's pretty depressing. But I get dreaming as everyone here talks about what's coming up and all the pics. Keep em coming. A northerner can dream....

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nance, Not Vera, but you're in MN which is cold-don't think they'd ovewrwinter. I believe she's a z7 and you may be a 5?....

Posts: 660 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Correct Jan..but even for me, they do not overwinter. I dig my bulbs in the fall before frost and let them dry in brown paper bags over the winter...in late Feb I start potting them up again. I usually buy a bag or two each spring at Wal Mart and pot them up too. Just love them and mine never seem to multiply enough over the summer to have all that I want.

I think you have to be very tropical, like where Z9 lives before they are winter hardy.

ve

Posts: 3183 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Most of my shade pots I have planted with Coral Bells. I have totally fallen in love with them. They stay in color through the winter & I won't have to plant those pots again.

My neighborhood green house is loaded with impatiens. I am taking a chance & buying some. I didn't have any problems last year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patty louise,

Posts: 10350 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I generally only buy the New Guinea ones and I don't think they are the ones with the problems.

Posts: 15205 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vera ellen:
I think you have to be very tropical, like where Z9 lives before they are winter hardy.

ve

You're right. I leave the caladiums in the ground...they come up every year in May. I bought about 14 large white impatiens for the wedding in 2011. They are still growing in the same pots. I cut them back and feed them, and they just start all over again.
If it gets below 30 for a night or two, I put them in the shed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
When I had ash trees in the backyard I planted torenia. They have cultivars in colors other than purple. The link is to Google page of images of torenia.

fficial&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=qiRvUfm8JIPTiwLuv4GwCg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1467&bih=622" target="_blank">https://www.google.com/search?...oAQ&biw=1467&bih=622

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post