Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  First Hummer of the Fall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Hummer of the Fall Sign In/Join 
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted
I put up two feeders today and within about 2 hours, there she was, just feeding away. She came back several times during the afternoon. Hopefully, there'll be more tomorrow.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6200 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I just saw a Hummer out the kitchen window!!!!
I thought it was a bug again, of course, but it was pretty big for a bug. It was by my neighbor's big tree and an insect would have been much smaller than that. I guess I should buy a Hummer feeder next year! I never saw them before, this year was the first time!

Posts: 2230 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
We had two about a week ago. I think they were leaving town. lol

Posts: 4763 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
My population is still varying each day....5 yesterday but only 3 this morning unless they are coming in shifts.
And I need to fill all 6 of my feeders today. We have just a tad bit cooler weather coming next week...so they may be on the move more then.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had two about a week ago. I think they were leaving town. lol

They did leave town ~ they came to Joisey!! Wink

Posts: 2230 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Their behavior has changed this week. One of them sits on the end of the shepherd's hook that holds the feeder. He (? young male?) keeps the others away but doesn't necessarily drink much himself. Before, they only dive-'b o m b'ed each other, but none actually had perched in a guard position. Funny little creatures, aren't they?

Posts: 4341 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
I have 6 feeders and the males are the ones who will "guard" the feeders. I don't know what they are guarding. I don't have the numbers I did have early this summer, but I do know they are getting ready to migrate and I'm in a 'fly zone'.

Posts: 3139 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You sure are in a fly zone, Barb. How did the hummer festival go over the weekend?

Posts: 6200 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
The festival is always the first weekend AFTER labor day. The festival is this weekend and I know it is going to be great!
I'll try to remember to take my camera!

Posts: 3139 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Mine are also fewer in number.

Posts: 2130 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Mine are fewer also.........now I know where they are.....they either went north to Wavies or else south to FFGs. Ladies, I want them back!!!!

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, there were two here today, a female and a male this afternoon!!!

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vera ellen:
Mine are fewer also...... now I know where they are..... they either went north to Wavies or else south to FFGs. Ladies, I want them back!!!! ve

Not to worry sweetie, it's pretty cool this morning, they won't be staying! I opened all the windows & it's really cool. :O I'm sure they will be heading for FFG's feeding grounds if they're smart! Wink (do they stay there all winter?)

posted Hide Post
No, Wavy, they head across the Gulf to Mexico and South America. We will get a few wanderers from the west like rufous and the occasional anna or black chinned who spend the winter, but its a rarity. We'll have a steady stream through here to about mid-October and then they'll be gone.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Peachy.....that is an awesome picture of your hummer!

I think migration has definitely started....remember my whine about being down to six.....well, yesterday and today I have had the horde back...back to filling feeders twice a day.

Ran into an old(er) friend today in town...She said the Farmers Almanac had predicted seven snows for us this winter. We rarely even get snow, and if we do it's just a dusting. YIKES!

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I've only had 3 the last few days. I didn't fill all the feeders only the 4 on the front porch so I know if they are visiting or not.
They have barely gone down since I filled them but I did see the 3 here fighting over the feeders tonight.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post