Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Went South yesterday....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went South yesterday.... Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
DH had an appointment at the VA clinic in Tallahassee yesterday so we headed out early so that I could do my shopping first & have that out of the way.

On the way, just a couple miles down the road there were pink blooming magnolia trees in FULL bloom, and all the way to Tallahassee. There were also a few red bud trees starting to pop and I even saw a few azalea blooms coming open.

So for those of you in the north, there is hope! Spring is starting for us down here & we are supposed to get another cold snap next week that may damage everything that has started awakening! Frown I sure hope not, I hope our extended forecast is wrong!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4845 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Great news to hear.

We are doing ok now, but lots of wind which makes it imposable to go outside.

Posts: 4906 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Geez, I hope it doesn't get cold there again. I just read on line that the Polar Vortex is rearing it's ugly head again. Supposed to be lower than average temperatures for the midwest, south and northeast.

Wanda

Posts: 4863 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WWanda:
Geez, I hope it doesn't get cold there again. I just read on line that the Polar Vortex is rearing it's ugly head again. Supposed to be lower than average temperatures for the midwest, south and northeast.

WW, they keep readjusting ours UP! There for awhile, they really had me worried...saying we were going to go below freezing again...but that has changed now & nothing below 37º. Those low temps won't last long for us, maybe an hour or two.

I forgot something yesterday. The empty farm fields have wild mustard & henbit blooming all over them!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4845 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Your post gives me such great hope. It would be awesome to see redbuds and azaleas in bloom again. Magnolia's aren't too common here, other than a few in the older historical homes in town. Still, such eye candy when you go by.

As much as I hate henbit, even a field of it blooming would be welcome right now.

Joy, I agree. We had two glorious 70+ degree days this week, but the wind was so terrible you couldn't enjoy the nice temps.

Thanks for the spirit lift.

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3580 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Oh would love to see those trees! I think the deer in my yard might have been after my magnolia buds! :>(

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12915 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post