Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Anyone Put On The HEAT Yet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Put On The HEAT Yet? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
I am proud to say that I still did not turn on the Heat! We had such a gorgeous, mild (even downright hot for a few days early in the month) October. Had very little rain too. It was just perfect! Believe it or not, I am still sleeping with only a sheet to cover me!!! It's gonna get colder the rest of the week. But I saved some $ by not turning on the Heat yet!
Anyone turn on their heat?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2247 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Darned right we did. 3 days now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7706 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Today was the first time, when I got up this morning. Overnight temp was in the mid-40s, and it was very cloudy today. No sun to warm the house.

Posts: 4349 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
I turned mine on last week, when it dipped down to 39 degrees.

Posts: 3145 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
From 3:00am to about 8:00am. I can feel the cold coming in and get up to turn it on.

Posts: 4774 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Ours goes on at night & off in the day time. I just had to turn on the air while ago since I'd had the oven on for supper tonight...but the heat will be switched back on when I head to bed.
We are "supposed" to drop into the 40's tomorrow night! And remember, we are used to HOT weather, not COLD!
I try to keep the house at 77º year round.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4354 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
We generally have 2 seasons in our house. Air conditioning and heating. There are very few days when nothing is on. Generally keep it 75 year round. We are old fuddy duddies!!lol

Posts: 15207 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've had ours on but only a couple days when it rained.Ours is always off at night we like sleeping in cool. It's set at 68.

Carlene

Posts: 1384 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Darn right........in fact, heat is on right now....ours has been off and on for over a week now. Usually I turn it off during the day if it's sunny and warm in the house, and back on at night when the temp drops.

ve

Posts: 3208 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
You best believe its on.. Too darn old to sit in layers and freeze.. It only comes up in the a.m. and then is off for the rest of the day. Just can't take a cold house first thing.

Posts: 3353 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Wow, I can't believe it. You Southerners (sp?) had cooler weather than I did! I haven't put it on yet, although the house was 72 deg. this morning. I start running around in the morning making coffee, cleaning the cats' bowls, etc. and then I am sometimes even warm and open the windows just to get a little 'air'. I haven't opened the windows today since it has gotten cooler outside. I always turn off the heat &/or A/C when the last person goes to bed. It's just TOO EXPENSIVE to run all day & night time too. I am amused that all you southern gals are so warm and toasty already with the heat on & coolish weather!! It was cool today so I haven't opened any windows. This time of year I love opening the windows!
Edited to add: Yes, I forgot Southerners are used to warmer weather. I remember visiting my aunts in Fla. and the natives wearing coats & gloves during a cold (for them) snap! You guys have thinner blood I think. So yes, you do get colder faster!!

Posts: 2247 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I had a wood fire in the stove this am and the thermostat is set at 60 so the furnace doesn't come on but it's toasty warm. Didn't really need a fire but like to look at it! It's very sunny today so the house will be warm all day from the solar gain. Some days I leave the front door (south side of the house) open for fresh air and it stays warm.

Fall weather has been great so far – sunny with highs of 60F outdoors and my house is well insulated so stays warm. Haven't even had frost some nights.

Have turned the furnace on if it feels cool early am or late afternoon a few times in the last few weeks, when I'm too lazy to start the stove. House feels too warm to me when it's over 72F.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12604 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
No heat here yet but it hasn't been that cool at night. Today is gorgeous, about 75 and sunny outside and only 49% humidity. That's perfect weather. I think its supposed to be down in the high 50's tonight. We'll close the windows after a while but I doubt the heat will be turned on. DH may put it on this weekend, though. I'll definitely need heat where I'm going to be visiting.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6229 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Well, all us "southerners" better get ready for a shock to our systems....

quote:
The coldest air of the season so far will settle over the southern United States later this week and bring the first frost and hard freeze of the season.

Sub-freezing temperatures are expected Thursday night across the lower Ohio Valley southward into the Tennessee Valley.

Locations such as Springfield and Cape Girardeau, Mo., and Lexington, Ky., will dip into the upper 20s and officially bring the growing season to an end.

http://local.msn.com/frost-har...he-south-late-week-1

There are a couple of maps at the link that show what we "should" have & what we WILL have! I think I may miss the frost, but just barely!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4354 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Heat is on right now......it's a chilly 40 outside...but our real need is coming this weekend......cannot believe they are predicting high 20's for us this coming Saturday night into Sunday morning. Now THAT is cold for us this time of the year.

ve

Posts: 3208 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
No heat yet, this morning it was a chilly 44 deg. I will admit I am surprised about your cold weather. I really didn't know you get such cold weather so early in the season to boot! I thought those in the south had mild winters with no snow to speak of. (if it melts the same day it snows, you're lucky!) You now have cooler weather than I do. I hope ya'll bundle up and stay toasty warm somehow, some way till it passes!!! I think this year the weather is just CRAZY, is this right?!
Right now, I am comfortable and not cold in the house at all with no heat on. Guess I am used to colder weather generally speaking (unfortunately!!!) Wink

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
They had us forecast for 36º last night but we didn't drop that far. It was 45º when I got up this morning....way too cold for this early in the year for us anyway! Supposed to be "down there" again tonight!
Our high today was only 73º!

And Wavie...my heat is ON! Big Grin

Picture of KarenNY1 zone 7
posted Hide Post
Yes, today and yesterday morning for about 15 minutes. It was 65degrees in my apartment. Don't have it on at night because I have a nice warm blanket under my covers.

Posts: 163 | Location: Wharton,NJ Zone 7 | Registered: Apr 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
My Heat's On!!! Frown The house was 66 deg. this morning. Last night it was cold outside. Winter is here I think.
Those in the south, I am sorry you are having such abnormally cold weather. How weird is this! When do you normally get NICE, SPRING-LIKE weather? Once we're into winter we won't see spring-like weather until middle or end of April usually. There are exceptions but that is the usual.....(but not warm enuf to plant then, just feels NICE!!!)

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Snickering here.......so you finally turned the heat on. Regarding our "usual" spring like weather....I've planted daylily sprouts & iris in mid February....we are usually pretty warm by mid-March. You still shouldn't plant annuals at that time because we are subject to still getting frosts until May (even though plants are already out in most places). That being said, one of the largest snowfalls we've had came in March of 2011 (I think). We awoke to 9 1/2 inches of snow......a real blizzard for us southern folk. Wink. when the snow melted, the hot weather came fast and stayed, with no appreciable rainfall...that was a drought year.

Rambling above I know, so I guess there is no such thing are a "normal" spring here.

ve

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
We did get down to 37º night before last and it was 40º this morning when I got up. But we made it all the way up to 77º for awhile this afternoon....and currently at 60º!
So this time of year down here you dress in layers...that you can take some off or put some back on! Big Grin
No frost here yet but I did put the winter comforter on the bed the other night...it's a cozy, warm one and BIG!
We are usually warm enough in mid to late Feb. to start planting things. This past Feb. I planted tomatoes and I got to cover them a couple of times when we had some late frosts and one freeze...but they did fine.