Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

praying mantis Sign In/Join 
posted
Wow. I've never seen one this big. the siding it is on is 7" wide. I'm watching him. He's above the hummer feeder.

Carlene

Posts: 1822 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
PLEASE, RELOCATE HIM ASAP!
I think you've heard me say before that they will kill a humming bird. I saw a "horrible" video on the net a few years ago of one killing and then eating the hummer...I don't want anyone else to have to witness that!
I relocate them to the woods down here, but over your fence might be far enough away...just watch to see that it doesn't fly back.

ETA...additional thought...it was over for the hummer in the video in just a couple of seconds, they are FAST!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5146 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Odd that you should mention this. We had the biggist I have ever seen a few days ago.

I did not know they would or even could eat a hummer.

Posts: 5034 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
I had heard several years ago that a praying mantis could kill a hummer, but I hadn't seen the evidence of it, myself.
So, I googled 'praying mantis versus hummingbird'. Anyone who does not believe that a praying mantis can and will kill a hummer needs to see this video. they will also eat a hummer, it's disgusting and horrible to think it can happen, but it does and can.

Posts: 3244 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Well, I thought they were good in your garden as
they eat the evil bugs? I wonder how common it is that they attack a hummer? I see one or two every summer.

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13189 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I just saw a baby-sized one the other day. I've always left them alone, thinking they do more good than harm. Now I wonder.

Posts: 4699 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
i will take your word for it and NOT watch the video. don't wan't that visual imprinted on my brain.

Posts: 3917 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
They are good for bugs. I don't kill them, I just relocate them to a different area.

AND, if you do this...USE GLOVES...heavy gloves. Those razor like things on their front arms can cut us too. That is what they use to kill the hummers.
For one as big as SB's, I would get some kind of container and sweep it off into the container and carry it to a different area. I wouldn't take any chances of getting hurt if it's not necessary!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5146 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I seen the big ones and baby ones around here, and are always glad to see them. I think they are cute, but I'm just strange that way. Wink

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7577 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
I used to find them on the bottom of my Hummingbird feeders all the time. I always got my gloves and relocated them. They are very good predators for "bad" bugs. Useful and really cool to watch. They are quite stealth.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1180 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post