HGTV Message Boards
Pigweed!

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7184011632/m/1033935077

May 13, 2013, 10:59 PM
tande
Pigweed!
I have this prolific weed in my garden. Help!
I am not keen on using Roundup and would prefer to use alternate weed control methods. I have been pulling the babies up, but can't keep up. It grows faster than I can pull. I am getting the roots each time, there are just lots of seeds. Could I hoe or till and break the roots? Or would that spread it further? I am going to do a heavy mulch this winter, but have already planted vegetables. What should I do to make it through the summer?
May 14, 2013, 12:09 AM
mgt
Tilling the young plants is one way of control...so they don't grow up to flower & set seeds. Try a google search...there are lots of sites there for pigweed control. Good luck.

Please try not to use round up, it is SO bad for the environment. Maybe a spray of vinegar would work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."
May 14, 2013, 06:27 AM
owie
Heavy dose of vinegar is suppose to just kill the top of the plant. I still am going to try it this summer.
May 14, 2013, 08:00 AM
KimmSr
Pigweed, "Amaranthus spp", is sometimes used as a green manure or cover crop and is known to aid in accumulating nitrates from soils. Like other members of the "Amaranthus" family these produce a lot of seeds although they sometimes have been known to regrow from bits of root left in the soil.
Is your garden soil well mulched?

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.
May 14, 2013, 12:15 PM
Loonie
If the area is not so large that you can see yourself laying down a carpet of control, then you can try
laying down 10 pages of newspaper over the entire area. Dampen it so wind wont blow it away while you then put some weight on the edges to keep it down before you then layer 4" of soil over the area.

The aim of this is to deny sunlight to the ground the weeds are growing in.
Another method is to use in place of the newspaper--black heavy plastic which will draw the sun's rays and cook the weeds.
Another method is to use old windows (in frames) that will also draw sunlight and will fry the weeds---and anything else growing there.

All this control does make the need to remove the dead material before any planting.

You're right, if you just cut off the weed--as by mowing, it will just bring the weed back stronger than ever. It can, however, often stop the weed from producing seed.
May 14, 2013, 04:20 PM
owie
I use cardboard. It decays also.