Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Environmental Living
  O. T. perscription d-rugs via Canada
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

O. T. perscription d-rugs via Canada Sign In/Join 
Picture of conrad
posted
DH and I are now on a high deductible health plan (retirement plan canceled). We are looking into cheaper options for prescription meds.
I take Crestor and BP drugs and am looking for less expensive alternatives than local pharmacies.
Was hoping someone here might have some ideas?

Posts: 9604 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Conrad,
First, I would be very carefull about getting drugs from Canada, because as far as I know they do not have the same oversite of drug controll or strict requlations as we have in the US.
One way to reduce the cost of your meds is to ask you Doctor to OK the dispention of the genaric(sp?) form of the drug instead of the brand name.There is usually a space on the bottom of the paper perscription for the MD to check that it is all right to use the genaric form of the drug, instead of a brand name of the drug.
Also, please have a discusion with your doctor about the need for the drugs you are taking and if there is alternitive way to modify your diet, life style to eliminate your need for the drugs. IE,cutting down on your salt intake may help to reduce your blood pressure, or more excsise may also help.Also ask your MD to referr you to a dietion or a nutionist(sp) to review your diet and help you make any changes.
The other thing that you might think about doing is to look into other options for a provider of your health insurance. IE. Did you ever serve in the military? Is it possable that you may be entiled to veterians benifits of some sort?Did you ever work for the Federal Goverment in any way? You may be eligable for some kind of federal benfits. IE, My husband worked for the Post office for most of his life, as his widow, I was(am) eligable not only for his death benifets but also to the same health benifits as he was, which include a persciption benifit.
I hope that this information may be of some help to you.
Mary

Posts: 1867 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mary.
I have tried a couple of the generic cholesterol meds and they did not work for me ...unfortunately. (Family history)

I am going to ask to try one generic Statin that was not available in the past. Hopefully it will work better? If not, my only recourse is to get higher dosages of the Crestor Medicine and cut the pills in halves or even quarters to get more dosages per prescription. (Isn't it crazy the same cost per pill, regardless of the milligrams?)
The Blood pressure meds are luckily already generics and are not a huge expenditure. (btw I have been on BP drugs since early college and not related to weight, salt or anything they can find, but just happy the meds take care of it)
And we walk 2-3 miles minimum every evening, lots of hiking while in the mountains too. So fortunately I am in excellent health...as long as I take the medication.

After some on line research, I am also suspicious of many of the Canadian pharmacies, but thought I would ask here anyway, just in case someone had a good source. We just started a Health Savings account, so that will help some too.

Posts: 9604 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conrad, have you tried Zetia? It is not a statin but lowered my cholesterol a lot. I don't know how the price compares to a statin. (I do take both but can't find my receipts right now). It might be something to check out.

I don't know about specific Canada sites. I'm assuming some are good, some bad. I know bus loads of people go from MN to get medicine but I don't know where they go.

Posts: 6994 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Some "Canadian pharmacy" sites are fine. And some drugs ordered through a mail-order Canadian site are perfect. But there's been at least one case where the drugs came from Guyana. There is no pharmaceutical manufacturing in Guyana. Those drugs could have been made anywhere.

Mail order drugs are often counterfit. They may be super-potent, sub-potent, or contain no active at all. Mail-order generic drugs have been found containing dry wall instead of the active ingredient. Even if they started out perfect they may have been stored in bad conditions. Some drugs become toxic when stored wrong.

As to the price of different dosages -
The active ingredient is a small part of the cost to manufacture the drug. The inactive ingredients aren't free, either. And then there's the cost of the mixers and granulators and dryers and table presses. And the building they run in, which has to be be super-clean, much cleaner than any house can hope to achieve. And wages for the operators who run the machines. And wages for the cleaning crew. And the quality control department. And the research department. And the maintenance deparment.

Many pharmeceutical manufacturers have programs to help people who can't afford the drugs they need. Ask your doctor if you qualify for one.

I work in the pharmacetical industry.

Posts: 8602 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We unfortunately don't qualify for any special programs. Crestor mfger will give me a card that allows a 50 dollar credit per 30 day supply. Kind of a drop in the bucket, but if I quarter the 40 mg tablets (only need 10mg per day), it may be doable.

Wonder if there is a way to find out which of the Canadian mail orders are legit?
Got some literature in the mail about one, but when I looked it up, the drugs came from Poland, and the company had a very poor track record with fraud. My feeling is many of the companies that pursue business via emails/mailings, are not usually a good deal for the consumer. The best ones are known by word of mouth and personal recommendation. Guess that is why I am asking here, in case anyone knows of one of the good Canadian pharmacies.
Thank you for all the information so far. Smile

posted Hide Post
I agree with the remarks about "fake" Canadian sites. Used to be several good legit ones, now fakes have popped up, how do you know the real ones? Can't tell you.

Posts: 2462 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
How much are you paying at your pharmacy? Did you check a membership warehouse pharmacy price? I think you mentioned once that you belong to Sam's Club. This is the mail order price for a 30 day supply of 40mg from Costco online. It's probably cheaper at the local pharmacy because this fee reflects the cost of shipping.

CRESTOR 40 MG TABLET (ZEN) $173.76

Posts: 2649 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Thanks, You all are so nice to take the time to respond, and I really do appreciate it.
It is 167. per 30 days through Walgreens, 181. through local Sams. We have high deductible insurance.
We were paying under (100. for 90 days) on our cancelled insurance...you can see why this is sticker shock to me.

Simvastatin did not work at all for me even at higher doses, but I will ask my physician about any new generics, and her experience with them.
I think the generic Crestor (resuvastatin) may currently only be available outside the US, ie Canada?

Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
I read an article on Bloomberg.com that stated AstraZeneca which is the U.K.'s second-biggest drugmaker won an appeals court ruling that will block generic versions of its top-selling cholesterol medicine Crestor in the U.S. until July 2016.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/...generic-crestor.html

According to this website, which Norton says is okay, the patent rights ended in Canada so the generic version is available there. The article says which generic manufacturer has the approval of the Canadian government to manufacture the generic version.

http://www.gabionline.net/layo...ntent/view/full/1781

This message has been edited. Last edited by: still tryin,

Posts: 2649 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Yep still tryin, same info I have.

Currently looking at Northwestpharmacy.com out of Canada. Found a site that rated the Canadian pharmacies. Many were not so good, but this one may be one to try.

posted Hide Post
I live in Mexico, I stopped at a pharmacy today asking the price for Crestor 10mg, 30 days is $65 converted to US Dollars.
I'm thinking Canada must be about the same.

Posts: 2462 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The generic version of Crestor in Canada is actually 54 US dollars for 100 pills, at the site I am looking at. About 10 dollars for shipping, one price for as many prescriptions as you need filled.

Cannot use the health savings account to pay for Canadian drugs, but with the savings...I sure would not be one to complain.

posted Hide Post
I thought you couldn't use the generic, if you can that will help?

Make sure it is a real Canadian site.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Meisha, Thanks, I know it is confusing. There are other statins (cholesterol lowering) that are Generic (I tried one but it had no effect). Crestor is a brand drug and works differently and very well for me. There is a generic of it, Resuvastatin, but Crestor got the US to extend it's patent. So the US does not allow pharmacies to sell the generic until 2016. They need to make more money off us, I guess.

And yes, there are a couple of Canadian pharmacies that I have found to be very shady. This one seems legit and certified in Canada.

posted Hide Post
So you are saying you will try the Resuvasta, but right now you don't know if it will work for you.

It is worth a try if you know your health can handle the "it may not work" scenario.

If you find a good Canadian pharmacy let us know.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The Resuvastatin has the same compound/active ingredients as Crestor. The Canadian market approved the generic last summer...the US did not, for another 3 years. (The other generic I tried was a generic of another statin drug.)

Plan is to order it and give it a try and make sure it is working with a blood serum test after a month or two of use. I actually have a couple months supply yet of Crestor, so I plan to order the BP drugs first (it can take over 2 weeks for shipping), and make sure those work as well. They are also less expensive from Canada, but not as dramatic a cost savings. Anyway BP is easy for me to check myself, and will get a good idea of how the pharmacy works without too much risk. Just have to get the written prescriptions from my Doctor.

I will let you know about my experiences with the Northwest Pharmacy.

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I just bumped into this thread by accident while looking for something else.

Conrad, I have successfully dealt with universaldrugstore.com based in Canada. I was unable to get a suitable thyroid drug from any company in the US and was forced to try Canada to get the one that works best for me. I bought from them for about 3 years, until finally there was a US drug available again.

If you deal with a reputable company - and that's the key - you don't have to worry about counterfeit drugs. In many if not most instances, Canada buys their drugs from US companies at drastically lower rates from those supplied to US pharmacies. They are the very same drugs, just not uber-exhorbitantly marked up in price to assuage Big Pharma's need for greed.

Just do your homework on the retailer you're considering. Any pharmacy that purports to sell meds without scripts is, of course, not to be trusted.

Posts: 4491 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your comments and recommendation nettiejay...I will also look at the one you used, universaldrugstore.com.
Talked to my neighbor yesterday, and she also used to order from Canada while on a very expensive drug in the past. And yes, I do know about how they are rated and licensed... prescriptions required.

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
One of my daughters took Nexium for quite a while, a month's supply was $358.00.(#30of them) I ordered it from Canada, 90 pills for 46.00** (three month supply), exactly the same medication, so I think it's OK to order medication from Canada, it's safe.... my husband looked into it and says it's safe... if he says it's safe and thinks it OK for our daughter, I believe it's safe as well.

Posts: 951 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all comments/suggestions.
northwestpharmacy.com is going to be the one I try. Highly rated, certified and cheapest by far on the drugs I need to order.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Just to let anyone know, who may have been interested?

I have been very pleased with the Northwest Pharmacy, and the prescriptions I have received, and especially since the money I am saving is substantial.
The only issue is keeping track and ordering every 3 months, (at least 3-4 weeks in advance of running out) to make sure they get here on time, as needed. Not really that much different from the mail order pharmacy we used in the US.

posted Hide Post
Good to hear it is working for you.

posted Hide Post
Thank you for letting us know.

Posts: 6994 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Conrad until we got a medicare supplemental plan that covered med's I got them from Canada.

Don't remember the name of the pharmacy but it was in Calgary. Now we find that the generic version of our meds is so inexpensive that we just pay cash.

Posts: 12538 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conrad:
Just to let anyone know, who may have been interested?

I have been very pleased with the Northwest ********, and the ************s I have received, and especially since the money I am saving is substantial.
The only issue is keeping track and ordering every 3 months, (at least 3-4 weeks in advance of running out) to make sure they get here on time, as needed. Not really that much different from the mail order ******** we used in the US.

Interesting Topic

Posts: 773 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
My two BP scrips and Crestor only cost me 413 dollars total last year, as they ship free. The Crestor alone could have been that much for one month here!

Two BP d-rugs actually ship here from a pharm-acy in the northern US, the Crestor separately from Canada.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,

posted Hide Post
Costco has very good prices on some ****s in my area. We had a dog who needed pills for epilepsy that were $75 at Costco and $378 at CVS. The ****s for dogs for epilepsy are the same ones as humans use.

Our senator used to take busloads of senior citizens to Canada for ************s. There isn't any reason why ****s are so expensive here other than the obvious political nonsense.

Posts: 3180 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Absolutely it can pay to shop around. Got an anti fungal script for toenail fungus, (Lamisil generic, Terbinafine).

CVS was, as I recall 57+ dollars for one month on the generic?, Walmart was 10 dollars for 3 months!, or 4 dollars a month. Bet you can guess where I went. Wink