Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Environmental Living
  Just found a recipe for ICE MELTER--easy to make!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just found a recipe for ICE MELTER--easy to make! Sign In/Join 
posted
On our local TV channel--there was a discussion about stores getting low on salt.
They gave this recipe that is so easy to make and to multiply---AND it's SAFE for plants and concrete!

Dawn dish soap with rubbing alcohol and warm water: Melted ice almost immediately. To make it, mix about a quart or a half-gallon of lukewarm water, a teaspoon or two of dawn, and a tablespoon of rubbing alcohol.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I can only imagine bubbles in the spring. lol

Posts: 5173 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not an ice MELTER per se, but I use the CHEAPEST, clay cat litter to add GRIP to icy patches. Seems to be something in the clay (some form of natural salt?) that actually melts?? Can be a bit messy, but then so is salt.

Posts: 5634 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Clay litter eventually turns to mud. Alcohol and dish soap aren't as hard on plants as salt, but they aren't good for plants, either.

I move as much snow as I can, then wear ice cleats on my shoes. They hook over the sole of your shoe and dig into the ice as you walk. They are sold at sporting goods stores, near the ice fishing equipment.

Posts: 8610 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post