Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Environmental Living
  Where Did You See a Magnificent Sunset?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where Did You See a Magnificent Sunset? Sign In/Join 
posted
Please tell us about one of the most beautiful sunsets that you have seen and give us any other details that you would like to include such as special occasions, persons, places, colors, scenery, seasons or pertinent fun details. Thanks.

Posts: 839 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
The view from my front yard...

I entered this photo and a few others in a local credit union photo contest for their calendar. Credit union members voted. This was July. Big Grin

As far as pertinent details. Give me peace and quiet, a sunrise or sunset, my camera, and let me commune with G*d.
I like people. I like being around people. I love my DH, family, and BFFs. But there are times I like quiet: early morning, lunch time at work (I generally eat in the office with the door closed and NO phone or conversation), early evening as the sun sets.

Posts: 17356 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sunset got honorable mention in the same photo contest and was in a collage on the back cover of the calendar.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17356 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
This is very timely for me. Last night as we were playing Mah Jongg and I was facing the window, I pointed out to the other ladies the sun setting on the house next door. Of course the scene itself isn't as grand as just nature but I love that light and have photographed it often.

Posts: 13059 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KeepYourStitches,

You are so sweet to share those fun and enjoyable pictures. I never did see the sunset photo but I loved seeing all of the pictures including your cute G.K.s, your wedding and the canoe photos. Its so nice to put a face with a name. I would love to be on the lake in a kayak tomorrow. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
Keep Your STitches,

Oh my Gosh, NOw I see them. Oh Wow, Do I ever see them. I don't know why my screen didn't facilitate the appearance until now. There they are sneaking up on me like a real sunset. Those are awesome, awesome, awesome. THANK YOU

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

posted Hide Post
Hi Lady, I'm glad that you are able to see the sunset from the interior of your home as it bounces off your neighbor's home. That sounds delightful.

posted Hide Post
Stitches,

What kind of camera did you use for those photos?

posted Hide Post
Smile Thank you for the compliments.
I carry a little Olympus camera in my purse at all times. It's about the size of a deck of cards...maybe a bit bigger.

Olympus FE-350
8.0 megapixel
5x optical zoom

It's several years old, so almost "old-school" by now. Wink The newer versions are around $100 - give or take. I'm sure that there are other brands just as good.

Some of my photos have been taken with an Olympus Camedia Digital Camera C-5050 zoom
5.0 megapixel
F1.8
Fixed lens
It has a somewhat better zoom, but I can't find the x power on the front of the camera.

It's larger, more like a film camera and you can get a good grip on it. I want to say that DH gave close to $700 for it sometime in 2002 or thereabouts. Yes. my bottom jaw dropped when he brought it in.

There's not much difference between photo quality with the two cameras.

Once in a blue moon I'd like to have a camera with a better zoom so that I could get a picture of that "once in a blue moon." Neither of our cameras will zoom in close enough to get that big ol' moon up there. But overall, I am extremely pleased with my $100 camera.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Sunset in Key West from the deck of the ship.

Where we live we don't get a lot of great sunsets, ours are sunrises.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3605 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charming, Thank you. A picture is truly worth a thousand words.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I was in Canada during this Spring and sprained my foot while there. Ouch doesn't cover it. We drove through an area on the shore in search of beautiful scenery at the end of day light. My husband pulled onto a dead end street. I got out of the car and hobbled down the street to discover an idyllic path down a long steep set of rustic steps to the shore. My husband was birthing a whale because of my compromised mobility. I'm sure he wouldn't have chosen that street if he had seen the stairs. I'll cherish the adventure and it will become more lovely in my memory...but I haven't seen my photo's yet. My husband was making too much noise for me to take more steps. There's no way I could have done that. Stupid Sprain!

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I've seen lots of them, but this one really sticks in my mind. It's on the island of Kauai in Hawaii. We were staying in a cottage right there on the beach. The colors changed minute to minute and day by day. Taken in early April 2009.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6812 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are awesome splendiferous photo's Florida Farm Girl. I love the quilts too and admire your patience for such wonderful needlework.

posted Hide Post

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Leafly, thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you enjoyed the visit.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6812 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are welcome