Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Environmental Living
  Need advice on air conditioner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on air conditioner Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
I have a 30+ year old GE Carry-Cool window air conditioner. It worked fine until last year when it started leaking water into the 5" gap between the inner and outer window (see photo). I noticed that the side accordion panels are starting to split vertically which may have contributed to the malfunction. I am debating whether to have the old unit serviced, buy a new window unit or a portable unit. I did look at info for both - consensus is that although portables are easier to move and install, they are less efficient, noisier and draw more power than a window mounted appliance. I looked at some window units online, but few show them with the accordion panels. I asked at a local appliance store and the clerk said he never saw a window air conditioner with side panels. When I asked how they are installed, he said that the store comes to your house and installs it. Then when I asked about removing it in the fall, he said that you don't - it stays in the window. I want something that is owner installable and uninstallable, easy to transport (for an old lady). Any suggestions?

Posts: 596 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I would replace this unit. It is not worth repairing a 30 year old window unit. A new one would be more efficient. Recycle the old one, I could drop one off here at my town collection point for $9 and they would reclaim the refrigerant and recycle the metals.

That said, if you can swing it I'd opt for a ductless mini-split instead of another window unit. You can get them as AC units only or as a heat pump to give you year round comfort though in your northern climate I'd use whatever fossil fuel powered heat source you have on the coldest days.

The mini-split puts the noisy part outside and just mounts 1 - 3 inside units that have a coil and a fan. They are very quiet compared to even the best window unit.

Here are few links on the subject:

Department of Energy. http://energy.gov/energysaver/...ini-split-heat-pumps

Lennox http://www.lennox.com/products/mini-split-systems/

Mitsubishi http://www.mitsubishicomfort.c...ons/product-showcase

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6955 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I would replace it too.

However, the purchaser can install a unit with fixed side panels and remove it each year. You might let an installer do it first, tell them you plan to take it out each year so do not screw anything in.

Posts: 17138 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
The other big advantage to a mini-split ductless is you get your window back year-round. You don't need to uninstall or cover and insulate the window unit for winter and they are quieter and more efficient. They are more expensive, but they also would be considered a permanent improvement when it comes time to sell the house. A window unit is considered personal property. Another option would be a through the wall unit as found in hotel rooms. Several neighbors here used those for their finished attics. Personally, I like the mini-split better.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6955 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post