Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Environmental Living
  Mouse Deterrent?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mouse Deterrent? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted
Is there a product or home made remedy to deter mice? I don't want to kill them just keep them out of our camper that sits up for months at a time. TIA...

Posts: 2217 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have heard to put Comet all around the base of the tires as they will not cross this. Do not know if this really works. I have also heard that that dryer sheets repel them but I have had mice in the same place as dryer sheets.

I have done the Comet thing. It is hard to get it behind the tires. We did not have mice in the RV but that could have just been a coincidence. But I was willing to try anything.

One of my mice stories. Our motorhome was stored in a polebarn and we started it every month. I was standing by the rear. As my husband started it up, a mouse came shooting out of the tail pipe. The force sent him and his nest material halfway across the barn. I walked over to check and felt quite bad about the poor thing. Then the mouse got up, shook his head, and ran away.

Posts: 7017 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Best advice is to keep them from coming in, in the first place.
Search out and stuff any vent holes, or loose weatherstripping with steel wool (they won't chew through that). Friends who store their sail boat seasonally, have the whole thing "shrink wrapped" in heavy plastic, as it keeps mice, spiders and other insects out too.

Heavily scented Dryer sheets and bars of smelly soap (Like Irish Spring) are supposed to help deter them. But eventually these loose their scent, especially if the critters have an access to get in and out.

Posts: 9608 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thanks --

I've never heard of using Comet or the Dryer Sheets and I'm ready to try anything!

Funny thing is that we have 2 campers stored side by side. We have no problems with the mice in the old one which has been across the country and has been shook and rattled and bound to have airholes! The new camper with a basement compartment is the one where these little rascals have taken up residence! I've caught two in traps and released them so I'm hoping their gone for now! I have dogs, barn cats, cows, and horses etc and I just don't want to take a chance with one of them ingesting poison.

Cute Story Metwo! On our last trip to North Carolina DH and I were watching TV and a little mouse came crawling out of the air vent! He sat and looked around and climbed back through it! He rode from South GA to NC and back I suppose!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Posts: 2217 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend a cat, but having 4 of the darn things didn't prevent $600 worth of damage to the wiring in my car.. Sigh..

I find a little headless critter at the base of my stairs every few days, and STILL get evidence of them.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1559 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Kathy,
Your reply made me smile Smile
GP

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
He's not in to mouse catching Smile

posted Hide Post
We have taken a mouse for a trip too. From michigan to Vermont. We knew because some of the dog food would be gone each night. Figured he needed to meet his country cousin.

Do you have any smell in the old trailer? Just something very faint. It would not just be the smell of human because they don't care about that.

Posts: 7017 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
We have taken a mouse for a trip too. From michigan to Vermont. We knew because some of the dog food would be gone each night. Figured he needed to meet his country cousin.

Do you have any smell in the old trailer? Just something very faint. It would not just be the smell of human because they don't care about that.

Do you mean like an animal smell? We don't travel with our pets so I'm not aware of a smell but the camper is several years old and was used when we purchased it so maybe animals have been in it? The campers are parked under a shelter and the newest is parked next to the peanut hay bales so DH thinks that may have something to do with the mice coming inside the camper. We are finding peanut hulls in the camper. We are in the process of building a new shelter which hopefully will remedy the situation. We have owned campers and motorhomes for many years and this is the first time we have had this to happen.

posted Hide Post
I think your husband is right. Try the comet thing and see if it works meantime. Or anything that stops them from climbing the tires.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Ga. Peach, do you have any wild catnip growing in your area? It's those tall weeds in fields and along the roads that will have small purple blooms on it...google images of it.
It will deter MOST of them, but not all. Before we had outdoor cats, DH used to put it around the floor edges in his shop every fall and throw it out in the spring. We just cut it close to the ground and laid the whole thing on the floor.
I don't know if the commercial catnip will work or not or catmint...might give either or both a try?
And I discovered this way back when I was reading some guy's writings who lived out in the woods, I think he was some kind of a ranger or something like that. He used it in all his sheds/storage buildings.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4823 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I know of a safe to human's way to rid them, but some may think it inhuman. In any event, it worked in our basement. The problem with trapping and releasing is that they can find their way back in. Besides investigating possible entryways as small as a pencil eraser, check what is drawing them inside...food, water? Steel wool makes a great stopper.

Do a google and you will learn what plants repel them. If memory serves, spearmint may be one but I am not certain.

Posts: 18667 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I trap them dead. I do not want the disease carrying vermin returning! I do not invade and tear up their homes, eating their food, and pooping all over the place. There's plenty of outdoor space for them, there's no need for them to invade my spaces.

However, keeping them out is first and foremost.

My mother put mothballs in my dad's old Model A as a deterrent.

Posts: 17033 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
A little info about moth balls....

quote:
In addition to repelling or killing insects such as moths and silverfish, mothballs have been suggested for use as a stovepipe cleaner, a snake repellent, and to keep away mice or other pests.[2] However, a major concern about the use of mothballs as a snake, mouse, or animal repellent or poison is their easy access to children, pets, and beneficial animals. Leaving them in a garden or in a living space unprotected makes it very easy for unintended victims such as children and pets to gain access to them. Mothballs are highly toxic when ingested (they have a sweet odor and taste, making this more likely),[3] and will cause serious illness or death.[4] In addition to this, using a large quantity of mothballs in a basement or a living space may cause serious respiratory problems in people living in the space.[5]

Mothballs have been promoted as a squirrel repellent, and are an ingredient in some commercial repellent products. They are generally ineffective, and are no substitute for physical measures to exclude squirrels from building interiors.[6][7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothball

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4823 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your suggestions. DH finally trapped two and we haven't seen any signs of new ones gaining entry. Of course, it's not been parked in it's spot either so now that it's under the shelter again we will keep a close check to make sure the little varmints don't return. He sprinkled sevin dust around the outside so hopefully this will help. GaK, I'm sure we have catnip growing in our woods. I'll have to start looking.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I bought a little plug in thing at Target that emits a sound, that is so high humans can't hear it, but mice and bugs can. Anyway it is supposed to deter pests, as they don't like the sound. I have a couple of those in the basement to deter mice, and they seem to be working. We live near some open land and so we get mice trying to come in for winter. this year I have seen no evidence of any mice. I also put one in my bedroom to repel spiders and I haven't seen a spider for about a year. I know there is a debate going online over whether these plug ins actually work, but they sure seem to work for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cocok,

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Cocok, I've seen these advertised. May have to try one. Thank you.