Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Environmental Living
  Husband is Recycling!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husband is Recycling! Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
It's been hard...DH has not 'bought in' on the recycling issue. I finally told him that I was not inconveniencing him so just leave me alone. I've dug coke cans and other recyclables out of the trash.

Faint and fall down! Earlier this week when I put my 2-3 bags (small bags) in my Tahoe to take to recycling, DH had placed something on top of the bucket I use for my recycling!!!! I did not tell him that it was the wrong kind of plastic for recycling. I just tossed it in and then dropped it in the work dumpster. He made the effort!!

(I'm mainly posting to get the junk off the top of the page!)

Posts: 17383 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My husband will stick stuff in recycling but cannot seem to understand that some things cannot be recycled. I just gave up trying to explain. Our county re-sorts them and tosses what does not recycle.

Posts: 7291 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We recycle all except for pop cans. I know, we should, but when we do, we find them all over the yard. The garbage men seem to lose them as they toss the cans in the truck.

love life

Posts: 1569 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
We sell our aluminum cans...soda cans, cat food cans! DH takes a big load in the PU a couple times a year. We store them in those BIG construction garbage bags until he has a load.
We get close to $100 a yr. from that, so it pays for a little gas!
Our area doesn't recycle YET!
But we sell a lot of other scrap at the scrap/junk yard all yr. too.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5125 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's two problems with saving up to sell aluminum...a place to stash the cans and twice in the way-back-when I picked up a nail or screw at the scrap metal yard and wound up with a flat tire. Definitely not worth it for me. Besides...I don't drink canned cokes. DH drinks 7UP but probably not more than 4 twelve-packs a year. No cats here. It just wouldn't "pay" to save to sell.

Posts: 17383 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
There's two problems with saving up to sell aluminum...a place to stash the cans and twice in the way-back-when I picked up a nail or screw at the scrap metal yard and wound up with a flat tire. Definitely not worth it for me. Besides...I don't drink canned cokes. DH drinks 7UP but probably not more than 4 twelve-packs a year. No cats here. It just wouldn't "pay" to save to sell.

We don't drink that much soda either, but we pick them up along our road where folks throw them out of their vehicles...beer cans too.
The mention of the cat food cans was to make others aware that more than just soda/beer cans can be collected for selling.
We have never had a problem at the scrap yard with nails or anything else. Ours keeps the areas where the public drives clean & swept up.

But it is not something for everyone. My DH does construction/remodeling work and often brings home things from jobs that can be sold too....like old windows/screens, etc. So he may have a whole big trailer load when he goes to the scrap yard...besides a PU load of cans.

And just a bit of info about how much "can" be made from selling scrap...last year he brought home over $2000 from his few trips to the scrap yard.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5125 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought a house with 10 acres in 2004. There's some big trees, but over half the land was overgrown with brush and "trash" trees. We found the previous owner's dump (old bicycles, swing sets, washing machine, etc. DH cleared the land with a bulldozer and moved all the junk plus more he had- to where it could be seen from the windows/doors of the house. eyeroll

Several times he said he was going to get someone to clean it up...give them the metal for them to haul off everything else. We all know how that would work...they would divide the junk from the metal, haul the metal off, and they'd be through.

Finally my DS moved back to the area. He kept eyeballing that junk pile and made the deal with my DH to clean it up for the metal. He got about $160 from the metal. The rest was burnable or non-toxic and buried with the ash from the burned stuff.

posted Hide Post
It takes a while to educate every household when it comes to recycling and waste collection. I visited a friend’s place in Belgium earlier this year and they have a singular flyer given to households to educate them. Should the instructions not be followed, there are penalties and fees to each household. Some penalties should work!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: McKennon,

Posts: 5 | Location: Bromley | Registered: Sep 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It takes a while to educate every household when it comes to recycling and waste collection. I visited a friend’s place in Belgium earlier this year and they have a singular flyer given to households to educate them. Should the instructions not be followed, there are penalties and fees to each household. Some penalties should work!

Posts: 5 | Location: Bromley | Registered: Sep 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post