Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Environmental Living
  The Ogreenic frying pan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Ogreenic frying pan Sign In/Join 
Picture of Gypsyroro
posted
I am considering buying one of those environmental ly safe green frying pans. But I am not convinced that it's any safer than the old teflon ones. Has anyone tried them or have any info? Thanks for any comments.

Posts: 153 | Location: Upstate New York | Registered: Jan 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't waste the money.
I bought the "diamond" type pan, the only differnce between it and Ogreenic is the color basically.

It doesn't quickly release food, it doesn't brown, it needs fat to cook, AND the handle is falling off after just 3 months of very light use. maybe just 6 times total.

Get a nice silverstone pan or similar.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1580 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gypsyroro
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for your response...it really helps. You made my decision.

Posts: 153 | Location: Upstate New York | Registered: Jan 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wondered about that too. The main, important difference, from what I can tells is that the Orgreenic cookware is designed with a ceramic surface. Apparently, ceramic can stand very high heat without emitting dangerous substances. Ceramic cookware heat up faster and retain heat longer than other types of pans. Ceramic is known as the best cooking material and has been used for years for even and non-stick cooking.

Those who have tried Orgreenic cookware report that it actually works well in their experience. It does make cooking fast, safe and healthy as it promises. Supposedly the food does not stick and comes off the pan effortlessly - but some people say this is not always true. Some people report reduced efficiency after heavy and continued use. The trick is to improve the sticking part by seasoning it again with vegetable oil. It is recommended that this gets done 1-2 times in a year to keep the pan in good condition.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
You just can't beat cast iron. When you get it properly seasoned, it is just about as good as non-stick. Be sure to purchase an American made cast iron. I find it much easier to season than the foreign made junk. Check second hand stores, thrift shops, garage sales, antique stores, etc. Or buy Lodge brand.

Posts: 17419 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a Lodge Logic cast STEEL, not iron, frying pan that came pre-seasoned. It is the most non-stick pan I've ever used and it doesn't have any coating. You do have to be sure it's thoroughly dry after use.

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Oct 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
I have been meaning to get one of those preseasoned Lodge Logic pans after seeing a feature on how they were made. Nice stuff! I would never buy a teflon pan again period. Have made do with normal nonstick pans and have a couple ceramic coated pans that have done nicely...not as good as former pans but don't want those nasties emitting in my home's air. Some newer one I have seen say no dishwasher...well then I might as well get a cast iron....Wink. I use my 12" Allclad fry pan and after a bout in the dishwasher and an occasional scrubbie it's good as new.

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7479 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only question I have for orgreenic is how long will it last. Ceramic pans are built for high temperature cooking and that's what makes them expensive. I love their non-stick ability but not their price. It is expensive but if it can last for years I can say that it is worth it. Most non-stick pans like teflon only last for 2-3 years and that's with proper care already. -ana_b

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ana_b,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gypsyroro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your suggestions and comments. I cannot use a cast iron pan, too heavy for me. I purchased a Valerie Bertenelli fry pan that is very nice. Who knew she had a pan line? Hopefully it will last.

posted Hide Post
My mother had to get rid of her cast iron because of the weight. I have her chicken fryer. Smile

Posts: 17419 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I had Ultrex for many years, and now buy Calphalon non stick pans for my smooth top range. The gas range, anything goes.

My teflon always lasts for decades as I never put it in the dishwasher (it literally wipes clean) or heat a pan above medium burner heat. The only ones that did fail, were the ones that DS used when we were out of town. ERRgGGG!

The old cast iron pans are the best. They are smooth both inside and out. Seems a lot of the newer ones are bumpy.

Posts: 9681 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Anyone interested in buying Lodge pans, check the prices on Amazon & remember, anything over a $25 order (if it qualifies) is free shipping. Lodge pans qualifY!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5139 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the bumpy interiors of Lodge cast iron. A reviewer on Amazon stated that he took a grinder to his and smoothed the inside bottom.

The BEST outlets for cast iron are resale shops, garage sales, places like Good Will and Salvation Army, antique and junk stores. I use the new cost of Lodge cast iron as my basis when I'm "shopping." I recently found two of the sectioned cornbread/scone skillets for $12 each - in two different stores. For some reason, I passed them by. After checking Lodge...that was a good buy. I have one and have given one to my stepD. I need one for my son and my stepS.

I set aside all my "new" acquisitions until it's time to run the self-cleaning cycle then I put the cast iron in the oven during that cycle.

Picture of linda weeks08
posted Hide Post
i have the green frying pan got it for my birthday in nov... i love it its very easy to clean and i keep it well seasoned

linda

Posts: 137 | Location: mayfield ky | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belle_N_Lex
posted Hide Post
My brother has that green pan. He got it about 1 year ago, and it works very well. Nothing sticks, easy to clean up. He has used it quite a bit, and so far so good. He has a gas range. I'm waiting to see how it holds up over time before I get one, cause they do costs a pretty penny. Nothing can replace my beloved cast iron skillets and revere ware copper clad bottom pans!

Belle

Posts: 627 | Registered: Sep 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I have the green frying pan (so does my son) and we LOVE it. The kids like eggs over easy and they just slide right out of the pan. I think I'll be buying the larger size also.

I bought mine at Hancock Fabrics with a coupon. They also accept other stores' coupons. Nice, huh?

No cast iron for me....ever! When I was growing up and had to wash dishes it seemed my mother used that horrible, heavy pan almost every day. My sister & I swore we'd never have one, and we have kept that promise.

Posts: 3646 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This might be a good solution for your frying pan hunt:
http://www.amazon.com/Telebran...Y?tag=donations09-20

Is 10" wide enough?.

Home Decor, coming from the soul.
www.decorativesoul.com

Posts: 15 | Location: WA | Registered: Jun 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be sure to check the Amazon reviews. Only a 3 star rating out of 5 stars.

Like everything else...some people like them...some don't