Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

insulation Sign In/Join 
posted
I want to insulate the floor joists of my house and take old saging insulation out and the people that I talked to about doing it want to spray foam it and say it is better but I want rock wool. I want to change out my heat pump and inside unit and also my well bladder tank ,so want to move all the lines and think it would be easier if it was rock wool and could be taken down to move lines .Plus if you have a water leak how would you fix this if you had spray foam .I am paying so thinking of going with another company .I got 4 quotes from different companies and they were the cheapest to rock wool but now are trying to talk me into spray foam .I compared them all to what I wanted .The house is 2440 sq. ft. so not cheap to do either way .Basement is not heated and I live in VA near the NC border but want to make floors warmer .I have tried to push the insulation that is there back up but it continues to sag and has a black vapor barrier holding it up but it still sags down over the last 9 years since the house was built .Am I crazy to reinsulate or is it worth it .I can feel the floors are chilly in the winter .I have also heard some just put up a radiant barrier .That plastic bubble stuff with shiny foil look .I also want to insulate the basement walls .I only use it for storage now but it is plumbed out to be finished .But I am retired but don't need the space .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Why not do your plumbing first? Then look into the insulation...

As to which product under the floor - I can't advise you. However, if you are dealing with experts and not some fly-by-night outfit, you are paying for their expertise as well as their product and labor. Ask them what to do if - rather when - you have a plumbing leak.

With the house being only 9 years old - this sounds like an unnecessary expense to me. The insulation should not have lost it R-value in that length of time. Is there something (screening/webbing/lathe/something) you can attach to the joists to hold the existing insulation in place?

Posts: 16478 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't be very green to trash perfectly good insulation. All you need to do is tuck it back into place and maybe add some wire supports to keep it there. Any out-gassing from the fiberglass would have been done with years ago. If you don't disturb the fiberglass it is pretty benign. You start disturbing it and it can be irritating.

Can you even buy rock wool any more?

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6857 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot get to the insulation as it is covered with a black vapor barrier and that is supposed to hold the insulation up in place .I have used boards to help hold it up and also nail in anchors but it eventually rips through the black vapor barrier .Rock wool you can buy anywhere and is bug resistant and water and rodent resistant and also does not burn .I went with good companies that were listed by the BBB and also buy a rating of insulators .I have tried to find info about spray in stuff and the only thing i got back is if I plan on changing major things in my house that it should be done before it is done .They actually said closed cell soy is better but also said that the rock wool is highly recommended also .I have literally tried everything to push this stuff back in place and it must be cheap stuff because it is very loose and is extremely itchy and it also smells bad ,not sure how to describe the odor .I had to have work done and they had to cut the vapor barrier in several spots and even the heat seal stuff they put to cover the holes did not hold and vapor barrier has sagged more in those areas and I even tried to tape those spots with gorilla tape and that did not hold .It is actually falling out in some of those spots and when I open the basement doors the wind blows it around . .It seems like it is almost not bats of insulation .I am really not sure about this stuff as it is really a dark gold color .Seems like cheap stuff .Asked about plumbing leaks to even the spray foam manufacturers and never got an answer back ,so that concerns me after several e mails to them .I insulated the exterior walls from the outside and also under the slab and wonder If I could insulate the interior walls it would help .But still what can I do about the cuts in the vapor barrier .I just don't know how to seal them .Any suggestions ,there are fifteen of these slices in the vapor barrier .Part of it was done to run new piping for the well .We went to a 1 inch line compared to the half inch for the bigger bladder tank .THANK YOU if you can help ,wish I could post pics on here but can't get them to post .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Edit you pictures in paint to make them smaller. Just open the picture in paint and adjust the size from 100% to 20% and you'll meet the guidelines for HGTV's boards. Then just click on the add attachment link below the text box in the post a reply box.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6857 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done this before and it's kind of complicated to explain but, your best putting most of the work into the research first, and protect your lungs with the masks, first thing. Removing the old insulation is the worst part as you dont know what was used in your home in the oldn days, it could be even more harmful than what your putting in. So make sure you get all family members out of the house during the time your carrying that crap out, and just get it done, wear an astronauts suit, just don't get that crap into your lungs. Here is a link that might help you: https://www.google.ca/search?q...ulation+installation

Home Decor, coming from the soul.
www.decorativesoul.com

Posts: 15 | Location: WA | Registered: Jun 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post