Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Environmental Living
  Shoe Polish in a Can
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shoe Polish in a Can Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
Kiwi brand I think...

I really needed to polish some of my shoes so I opened the black and brown cans only to find that both were cracked and in pieces. My son said, Hey, just bring some water to boil. Turn it off and drop the bottom part of the can on top.

So I got a little skillet and poured in a little water. Brought it to a hot simmer. Turned the fire off. Dropped the brown polish can in...then the black polish can. The brown polish immediately starting melting. The black polish did not. I'm watching them both...brown melting...black not. Brown melting. Black NOT. ???

So I picked up the lids. The black polish has silicone in it!!!

Sam decided he wanted fish for lunch so I left them. When we got back they had cooled. I had a smooth can of brown polish. And bits of cracked black. Huh.

I took the cans out. Sealed the brown polish and put the skillet back on the stove with the black polish can in it again. I took a toothpick and realized that I could poke the black pieces and they fell apart. So I did. Poke. Poke. Poke. They got soft, but did not melt. So I took a plastic spoon and smoothed them over as well as I could. When cooled, it was still lumpy, but stuck together and usable.

All three pair of shoes look pretty decent now.

Posts: 17419 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had mine get that hard but will have to remember this trick. Silicone in shoe polish, eh?

Posts: 7307 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
lol..i can't remember the last time dh bought polish! he just keeps using it..it's amazing how long it has lasted...and his dress shoes can take a beating in the winter with smow, ice and salt...

Posts: 8593 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Husband has a pair of black dress shoes and a pair of black boots. His other leather casual shoes are more of a rough leather. He never polishes his work boots.

I have more leather dress shoes than I can count. I don't like synthetic materials if for no other reason than my feet sweat in closed shoes (as opposed to sandals and open-toe shoes).

Next time I place an order on Amazon and for just a few dollars more I can get free shipping, I've got to order some boot/shoe cream. I specifically need some red cream for my boots! And some neutral for a copper-color pair. Oh...and I don't have any navy. For now the re-worked black and brown polish will work on the black and brown shoes.

Posts: 17419 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
My husband recently showed me his trick in polishing his shoes: he lit a match under the can. He said it softens it and makes it easier to polish. Simple!

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you can do this, this kind of polish will do damage to your shoes

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
KYIS, I was just thinking that I'm not sure I would use a polish with silicone in it.
Wouldn't that be a lot like what was a "big thing" back in the early 60's...putting floor wax on shoes..Klear Floor Wax...and the shoes eventually cracked from using it...good leather shoes ruined!
???????

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5139 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beats me. It's what husband had in his kit. My black loafers are about shot anyway, but I can't find any. I need to hit a couple of 'real' shoe stores and not the shoe department in other stores. I guess no one wears loafers any more, but I like them with my Lee slacks.

I've already bought shoe/boot cream to use on my shoes.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:
KYIS, I was just thinking that I'm not sure I would use a polish with silicone in it.
Wouldn't that be a lot like what was a "big thing" back in the early 60's...putting floor wax on shoes..Klear Floor Wax...and the shoes eventually cracked from using it...good leather shoes ruined!
???????

HUGE difference between using a Kiwi-in-a-can shoe polish and a floor wax. The Kiwi penetrates the leather and won't harm the shoes at all. The floor wax doesn't penetrate and relies on creating a layer on the surface. That layer doesn't stretch/bend so when you wear the shoes and the soft leather flexes, the wax cracks.

People in the military have been heating up cans of Kiwi for decades to "un-cake" it. You don't even need to do the water trick. If you have an electric stove you can just put the can right on the burner and use a low heat setting. You shouldn't ever try that on a gas stove though. The polish is flammable so you can set the whole can on fire.

If you want a military "spit shine", apply the polish to the shoes/boots and heat it so that it penetrates the leather faster, deeper and more evenly. I did this on my combat boots weekly when I was in and I always wore the soles out long before there was ever any issues with the leather uppers.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have never thought about using floor wax on leather. Like Jim stated...it is a wax and coats but does not penetrate...