Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Environmental Living
  Satellite Dish Signals going through Bedroom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Satellite Dish Signals going through Bedroom Sign In/Join 
posted
Our neighbor put up a small satellite dish in his side front yard. He's had it there at least a year, maybe longer. We weren't happy about it but didn't say anything. At least it's small. I grew concerned about sleeping in the signals this week. Hmm someone should write a song "Sleeping in the Signals". I briefly read a little research about health problems caused by satellite dishes. I didn't see any official research saying that it was harmful but I didn't look far. I did see a blog in which people commented who also had signals going through their bedrooms. Several of them said that they had insomnia and now I've forgotten what else they said....I sure hope it wasn't short term memory loss. LoL Do any HGTV message board regulars or visitors have information on this. I get a little nervous thinking about the signals passing through my head. ---Don't want to sleep in the basement. It's colder.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

Posts: 755 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked up the symptoms that I had read about. Included in those were fatigue, ringing in ears. restlessness, sleeplessness, and dermatological problems like a feeling of bug bites. One person also said that things had a metallic taste.
This was on a blog, not official research, but common sense does prevail especially over research being sponsored.

I read info at a site written by scientists. The wave received by small dishes is circular, my term, I've forgotten the official name of a circular wave. It's like a flashlight. They say that most citizens do not get enough of a concentration of these to be harmed. I think that scientists are not thinking about folks who sleep beside of dishes aimed at their body every night. If they set up the calculating equipment beside of a home where the waves go into the headboard of a home every night they would get different figures. To me that is a lot more concentration than the general public receives. I would state that strongly. We need ordinances about the closeness and aim of dishes.

Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Broadcasting or receiving? It makes a big difference.

If its receiving only - Dish TV - the dish didn't change anything. You aren't getting any more exposure than you were before he put in the dish.

If its broadcasting - internet using a dish - the signal is quite weak. And its only on when your neighbor's computer is communicating with the internet. He probably sleeps the same hours you do. Talk to him about your concerns,see if you can get him to disconnect from the internet when he's not using it.

Also, Dish to Satellite systems are notoriously vulnerable to being blocked. The walls of your bedroom probably mess-up his signal. He has probably got it aimed to go right past your bedroom, just far enough out that you don't notice.

If you are still nervous consider new wall paper for your bedroom. A paper with nice, shiny, metalic flecks in the paint. Going through that will foul-up his reception so bad he'll have to move the dish.

Posts: 8582 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
JoW,
I seriously doubt anything you applied to the walls would have any impact on his uplink signal.

Excellent point on the receive signal, the signal is all around, along with cell phone, over the air radio and TV signals, microwave communications signals, wifi signals from your own router and wireless devices in the house, police and fire bands, etc.

Even with all the RF energy that has been added to the atmosphere in the past 150 years our life expectancy is growing not shrinking. Oh and there is a lot of natural RF energy in the atmosphere as well.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love you guys. Thank you for the information and comedy. I know that it receives for the TV. I'm not sure about the internet. The dish company here does advertise for a connection for TV, internet and phone. I'll have to ask the neighbor. Rarely see him around. I feel like a dinosaur on some of this stuff but I do learn bits and pieces by not trying too hard and more if I make an effort. Thank you again. You have made me think about additional things to puzzle me.. for a while. Just kidding. Thank goodness I'm not one of those people who has a cell phone glued to my ear. I like land lines.

posted Hide Post
JoW,

I tried to put up a post about putting multiple layers of aluminum foil on the back of our bed's headboard. Unfortunately, that post must be reviewed. I also mentioned a fairy g__ mother zapping a big tree between us and the dish. So I think that the G-- word stalled my post. Love your idea. Thanks

Picture of radiolady
posted Hide Post
uh.. what???? Are you sure you're posting in the right forum? You DO know a satellite dish is a RECEIVER, right? Not a transmitter, it can't "transmit" ANY thing to you or into the air, or anything like that. Whether they put up a dish or not makes NO difference what so ever- in other words, the satellite in the SKY thousands of miles above your head is still "beaming" the signal across North America and beyond. That dish in neighbors yard does nothing except COLLECT that signal into a cone shape, you are STILL "receiving" the satellite signal whether that dish is up or not.

Do you even know what a satellite dish IS? If "signals" bother you so much, maybe send a letter to the satellite transmission company responsible for the satellite in the sky, sending those "beams" to North America. Shoot, why stop there? Why not send letters to the White House ?
There IS one thing you can do, you can wrap tin foil around your head, that will keep those pesky signals from entering your brain cells...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: radiolady,

John 1:8

Posts: 8 | Location: Houston | Registered: Jan 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
radio lady, Rough night? Bad morning? Wink

Most of us tend to share and encourage all sorts of info and concerns here. OP asked about a concern/question. I think it got answered. No need to belittle.
Peace.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conrad, I read her/him other posts and they are of the same tone. Too bad!

Posts: 6718 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Didn't bother to check.
Thanks metwo.

Some of our most interesting threads have come from what a few may think is a silly question. There are no silly questions, knowledge is power and asking is empowering.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conrad, You're the greatest. Thanks
Thank you too. metwo. Hey that rhymes.
And thank you too JoW and Sparky.

Today is a lovely day.

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I believe with the advent of internet over these networks the dishes are actually both a transmitter and a receiver. Early versions of internet over TV satellite were hybrid solutions with the uplink being over the phone lines. That has changed. That said, there a lot of signals in the air of various frequencies and power levels. Of all the things to worry about in life, I'd put this at a .5 on a scale of 0-10.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Sparky,

Thanks for the reply. I've heard that explanation from a scientist family member. I do know that trees will block the reception, even clouds can interfere as well as weather. I keep wondering about focus. My scientist does not have an answer for the focus. If the signals leading to the dish were flashlight beams they would take a path through the middle of our headboard which is about 80 feet from the dish. Mainly I'm curious. I'm not extremely concerned. Small dishes aren't like large electrical substations. I've read research about the health effects of living close to those. It's old research from several years ago so I won't go into that.

Since I sleep so close to a dish I do wonder about it.

Thanks to the well mannered folks here for your replys.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Leafly, all the symptoms that you mentioned can be caused by many other things. And don't forget, as we age our sleep habits/needs change as well as many other things in our bodies.

The folks that are complaining about ringing in their ears...ask how loud they used to listen to their music when they were young and do they use headphones now for any electronic appliance?...then decide what is more likely the cause of that ringing. Also, shooting guns without ear protection at younger ages can contribute to some of those problems.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4299 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carpe diem, for us as we all age with or without satellite dishes, ear ringing, restlessness, home grown food, or pureed mush inserted via feeding tube.
I can dance, I can dance, I can dance. Just cutting up.

Karen, thank you for your contribution. I'm going to tell my young adult child not to use head phones. I have a friend who has a chronic ear ringing condition. Last time she discussed it, the doctor could not pinpoint a cause. She wasn't person who did the things that you discussed. There are cases of patients with ear ringing that are not related to high decibel exposure. Some medicines, nerve stimulation, and even lack of sleep can cause it too. I haven't talked in person to anyone who complains about satellite dishes. I found a blog where people wrote about their health symptoms since living within close range of them. A lot of medical complaints are related to emotions and many other factors. I'm sure stress is a big factor too. There are many mysteries that will be unlocked in the future. In this big universe so many things are unknown. It's awesome.

Thanks again. Have a wonderful day.

posted Hide Post
Satellite's are fantastic in multiple ways. We used my son's GPS for a quick trip to a large city recently. We visited multiple locations there with ease for the majority of the time. We never got the GPS to freak out though. I want to hear an electronic device fuss at me.

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Leafly, Last week the county extension agent told me that he and his son were following GPS instructions and asked it to find a specific eating place. It could not understand, please repeat. He said he tried several times. His son tried several times. So he finally said, Kiss my but-t. The female voice answered, "That is not appropriate."

He said that they just about fell out of the seats laughing so hard.

Posts: 16451 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stitches,

I love, love, love it. Gotta tell my family about that. FOTFLOL. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
Leafly, Last week the county extension agent told me that he and his son were following GPS instructions and asked it to find a specific eating place. It could not understand, please repeat. He said he tried several times. His son tried several times. So he finally said, Kiss my but-t. The female voice answered, "That is not appropriate."

He said that they just about fell out of the seats laughing so hard.

That is too funny!

A few months back, I went to the at&t store. Ok, I have to admit, I am not up with technology. Anyway, I went to the store because I wanted a new cell phone. Stupid, because I go months without ever turning it on but I wanted to try to get "with it" and I thought a new phone would help.

Oye, I about fell over when the salesman was showing me his phone and "siri." I had never even heard of siri before. He told me he can ask siri anything and demonstrated right there, "siri, what is my name?" And siri said, in perfect intonation, "You're asking me, Phil?"

That's the phone I bought. Of course, I still go for months without turning it on.

Ok, anyway, Leafly, would it help at all if you rearranged your bedroom or is there another bedroom you could switch to?

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Charcoal's Mom,

Sorry I'm so late responding. I love your A T & T story. I have a lot in common with you. Why kids want to text rather than talk beats me??? ...But I do text so that I can keep up with my offspring and I actually text my husband and others but that's passe now. I've never heard of siri...so my expiration date is stamped across my face. One year equals ten.

I did consider a new bedroom arrangement.
There is one arrangement that would pass but the current one is the best. I did sleep in a basement bedroom a few days during the winter but not for long. In my fantasies I might dream of smashing that satellite dish but I have no memory of that. Hmm, I need to be more devious. (Wink)--just kidding. (Light bulb - HGTV could redesign of my bedroom) Hmmm......

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
And here I thought satellite dishes were aimed at the sky. Your neighbor's dish is aimed at your house? Must be hard getting reception through your house.

I'm so confused. Frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mgt:
And here I thought satellite dishes were aimed at the sky. Your neighbor's dish is aimed at your house? Must be hard getting reception through your house.

I'm so confused. Frown

You must be a good person too......

Don't waste the space with negativity.

Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mgt:
And here I thought satellite dishes were aimed at the sky. ....

All satellite tv signals come from satellites in geosyncronus orbits. That is, orbits that keep the satellite above the same location on the ground at all times. The only place that works is directly above the equator.

The dish has to be pointed at the satellite. If you nort of the equator thats south of vertical. Depending on how far north you are it could be 45 degrees or more off vertical. For a dish mounted on or near the ground, a neighbor on a hill or with a 2-story house could easily have the signal passing through the neighgor's house.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoW,

Posts: 8582 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
This morning, we sat on our deck. My hub noted that one neighbor has Dish TV, the other neighbor has Direct TV. We laughed because...one is directed southwest, the other is directed southeast. We're caught in the middle. lol

We have had a lot of fun listening to radio hosts trying to figure out how these systems work. Especially when he thought tv antennae were supposed to be outside. Our's is "unattractively" hung on the living room wall. We figure it provides for conversation when people come for a visit. We still get to watch football and many cool shows.

Posts: 5043 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JoW and trish 212,

Love your input.