Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Environmental Living
  Clearing Negative Energy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clearing Negative Energy Sign In/Join 
posted
I would like to get some feedback from others about the energy in homes. I do Energetic house clearings and work a lot with local Realtors who have homes that will not sell, not because they look bad or have bad curb appeal but because the feel bad when people walk in. We rarely have discussions about this topic but I would like to hear from others who have experienced this.

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
IMHO a building or any other inanimate does not have "energy" - either negative or positive.

But that's just the opinion of this country girl.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17003 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I have done some energy clearing in the past, whenever it was needed. (I "saged" our mountain home and property after closing, as the prior owner was a little odd and not much liked by many of the neighbors) My DH, who is much less open to this type of stuff actually said he was glad I did.Wink

I've also helped others use Epson salts and alcohol to burn/clean energy in a place. And it does make a difference in atmosphere to many.

KYI Stitches, have you never walked into a room right after a heated argument between other people, and felt the tension in the room itself? That is probably the best example of room energy I can think of. But it is true that not all people tend to have the same sensitivity to atmosphere.

Posts: 9605 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not unless the people were still in the room. An empty room? No.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
There was a home we once looked at years ago, back in the early 80's. One of those homes that were not selling, great neighborhood, looked very interesting to us and the price had dropped a lot. Away from the home, it seemed like such a great deal/bargain, but when we were in it...nothing specifically stood out as an issue...but just did not feel comfortable/right. When we finally told our realtor we would NOT be making an offer on it, she sighed with relief & told us the story of the house.
The prior couple went into bankruptcy and were divorcing, the owner before them hung herself in the garage. And another prior owner also had severe financial issues, divorced over it and ended up very ill before selling.

Eventually I talked to new the owner (was at a garage sale at the house). She said they completely cleaned, repainted everything, and remodeled the home and were very happy there. Maybe the house just needed to be loved?

Anyway, perhaps Energy Shifer has a good niche after all.Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,

Posts: 9605 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. But I am amazed at how many people do. I have worked on many homes this past year where people were actually sick from the energy in there homes. It takes a long time for them to get up the courage to call. Glad to hear yours were successful.

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course it does. It has the energy of the people who built it, the tress or metal it came from. It also takes on all of the energy of the people who inhabit it everyday. I have been to some Real Estate clearings where the home stager brought in a object that had very bad energy and once it wad removed, the house sold. I think it is good to broaden your perspective and think of all the people and living things it takes to make a building, the land has it's own energy, the trees, flowers and schubs on the land have their own energy and all the creatures living on the land call that place home before the building is put up. Then we have all the construction workers and their energy and contractors et. Here is a link to a true story about a building we cleared for PDC in Oregon.

Word DocKalberer_Building.doc (25 Kb, 6 downloads)

posted Hide Post
So, is this an advertisement?...which is against HGTV rules...

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Agree. Discussion is one thing...advertising a specific business on this site is another.

posted Hide Post
and advertising a c*ckamammy business is beyond my patience.

Posts: 1777 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cleaning a home means clearing it from negative energy. This is the most basic step to allow positive energy in your home. Clean the house, remove all the clutter and arrange the furniture.

Sea salt is the most commonly used clearing element by the feng shui. You must mix 5-6 tablespoons of sea salt in a bucket of water and mop the floor with the solution. You must also place a bowl filled with sea salt on the northeast and southwest direction of your house. Which must be replaced every 2 months. Smile -M.C.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mary_castro,

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: May 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huh. I usually just walk in and pass a little gas. The room clears in seconds...

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Whats amazing to me is that some people actually believe this nonsense.

Posts: 8603 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
But JoW...have you been in one of Jim978's rooms after he does what he does?

I try very hard never to pass judgement on others beliefs or personal truths. Wink

posted Hide Post
I totally believe in this type of thing. I can't really feel the energy myself, or I'm not aware that I'm feeling the energy, but I do believe in it and have read a few feng shui books on the subject. I actually had a feng shui person come and clear the energy in this house not long after we moved in.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBTrendsMag
posted Hide Post
I believe that there can be left over negative energy in a house that new homeowners can feel. I have heard similar stories of a death or tragedy that previously happened and the emotions seem to be trapped in the home.

From an interior design stand point, change the lighting with simple small fixtures to make the rooms feel brighter. Add mirrors to bounce the natural sun light through out the room. Find bright colored small accessories to place on tables and counters in the house. Using design tricks to make the room seem more cheery might mask the illusion of any negative energy.

Kitchen Bath Trends
www.kitchenbathtrends.com

Posts: 25 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Sherry, I'm with you on this one.

I think much of this so called negative energy is bad paint, dirty carpets, a little mold and a few other goodies thrown in.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3487 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with you on this one too, Charming. Again, I am not an expert but have read that the correction of the yukkies you mentioned does wonders for clearing negative energy. A house that has been lovingly cared for should have more positive energy in it than a house that is dirty with mold, etc.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
KYI Stitches, have you never walked into a room right after a heated argument between other people, and felt the tension in the room itself? That is probably the best example of room energy I can think of. But it is true that not all people tend to have the same sensitivity to atmosphere.

ITA with this. I grew up in a home fractured with many scenes and arguments. (not the kids) I could walk into the house after school when no one else was there and tell immediately if there had been a recent scene. No amount of feng shui or whatever would have helped. I hated that house but it wasn't the house itself, given different occupants it could have been fine.

OTOH, I know someone who bought a house that had housed someone who left that house and committed a murder. The energy in that house is just fine.

Posts: 12545 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think much of this so called negative energy is bad paint, dirty carpets, a little mold and a few other goodies throw

well I wouldn't say that one would preclude the other. For instance my home was very carefully cleaned, high standards for all chores. In fact such attention may well have attributed to the stress. Sometimes people are simply not personally equipped to meet the high standards they set for themselves.

Here's an example of what I mean. DH used to joke and say we were going to do his type of job, not like my family standard of polishing the nail before we drove it into the wall!

Posts: 12545 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot: For instance my home was very carefully cleaned, high standards for all chores. In fact such attention may well have attributed to the stress. Sometimes people are simply not personally equipped to meet the high standards they set for themselves.

Here's an example of what I mean. DH used to joke and say we were going to do his type of job, not like my family standard of polishing the nail before we drove it into the wall!

I think your DH nailed it. Wink

Thanks to television and the likes of June Cleaver many women seem to think they are slaves to their homes. The horror stories I've read in this part of the website is down right frightening. I'm exhausted after reading them..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3487 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
quote:
Thanks to television and the likes of June Cleaver many women seem to think they are slaves to their homes

Well June Cleaver was long after the time I am speaking of and it wasn't the wife it was the husband in our house! Not that Mom did not have high standards but not like my Dad who had us kids all line up and walk across the yard looking for any stray whatever!

WOW! I thought my family was odd, but I guess we all do. Eek

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim978:
Huh. I usually just walk in and pass a little gas. The room clears in seconds...

DH, what are you doing posting here???!!! LOL!

Posts: 2863 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
quote:

ITA with this. I grew up in a home fractured with many scenes and arguments. (not the kids) I could walk into the house after school when no one else was there and tell immediately if there had been a recent scene. No amount of feng shui or whatever would have helped. I hated that house but it wasn't the house itself, given different occupants it could have been fine.

OTOH, I know someone who bought a house that had housed someone who left that house and committed a murder. The energy in that house is just fine.

After buying my first house, I found out that someone had died tragically ...but it was his fault...he was cleaning the basement with GASoline and there was a gas furnace there!!!!

I lived there many years and never felt anything 'weird' about it.

Posts: 2863 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never felt bad energy in a house but in my last house I could tell immediately if someone had been there. Not by anything I saw, I just felt it. Turns put I wasn't locking my patio door and some kid was coming in each afternoon. I got it locked properly and the feeling went away. I only saw evidence one time. He turned over a plant in my bedroom and copyrighted it but didn't sweep up the dirt.

Posts: 2185 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Sis2 - I don't think you were picking up on "bad energy". It is my opinion that you were reacting to tiny, almost invisible, changes to the house. Things like the dust on the door frame being shifted a little, or a slight shift in the fibers in the carpet from being walked on. A lot of little changes like that could put you on edge without you really noticing any of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoW,

Posts: 8603 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may be right but I can promise you it spooked the heck out of me. I noticed it the minute I walked in the house and I used a different door. I even wondered if I were losing my mind. That was a long time ago but I still remember it.

Posts: 2185 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with the idea of clearing negative energy from a home, or feng shui, or holding a ceremony to bless a house etc. A home is a very personal place and some people pick up on certain vibes that others miss.

Posts: 7178 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sis2 and JoW
When I was in the 6th of 7th grade, we walked back into the house after movie night and I told Mama - Something's wrong. (Mama, two brothers, and me - Daddy was a truck driver). She asked "What?" I said I didn't know...but something. She told me to go on and get ready for bed. When I walked into my room, I KNEW something was off. My world globe bank was moved and my "choo-choo" bag was opened...both sitting on my dresser. I yelled, MAMA! At the same time brothers yelled "MAMA SOMEBODY'S BEEN IN OUR ROOM!"

The screen had been lifted off one of their windows and dirty footprints were across the bed that some kids had crawled through.

We walked through the house. Nothing was missing - except my bit of money. A bag of stale store bought cookies that were evidently store brand and we didn't like had been sampled and thrown under a kitchen utility cart.

Walking back into the living room Mama asked me what was out of place. I no longer remember what, but a chair or coffee table or something had evidently been bumped and moved slightly out of place. No bad vibes - something was out of place.

We pretty well knew which kids in the neighborhood had done it. Two girls had spent the night together. A few weeks later one of the girls told me she knew who broke into my house...it was 'that other girl'...I asked tattletale ratfink breaker inner "wasn't that the night you slept at her house?" End of conversation. Fast forward to a year or so ago - the tattletale friended me on Facebook! She's probably forgotten it and I haven't brought it up. Wink