Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recycling Sign In/Join 
posted
Kitchen destruction
In watching all of the remolding shows, I have seen, there seems to be a trend of destroying all of the useable components of the room. I know it makes better television seeing home owners take a sledge hammer to cabinets and appliances. With all the low income,and substandard housing, I think a lot of viewers would appreciate seeing all useable materials recycled.
There are Habitat for Humanity donation locations in many local areas that do a great service for generating funds for low income housing. With all the current Federal budget cut, and Federal money becoming hard to get, I think donation recycling would be a great statement for the network.
I hope other members and guests will voice there support for this effort.
I became a member just to post my view that has been bothering me for some time now.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
check out on this old house..recent project was recycle reuse...and it also added to the project cost (which most people can't afford)

if you have seen the quality of some of the current cabinets the minute you try to take them down, the presswood shatters...

also as you know, older toilets arn't not up to code (extra water usage)...

i do agree, however, if the quality is there, no reason to toss...

Posts: 8538 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just hate to see soo much wasted good stuff being destroyed and thrown in a dumpster to fill up our over full land sites!! I realize that some of it is junk and needs to be tossed but a lot could be saved and donated for a better cause. I re did my kitchen and when they demoed it, the guys saved some of the cabinets to be used in my carport. I gave my old refrigerator to a needy friend and the oven was about 30 yrs. old and didn't work so it got tossed but all in all, not much waste!! Sure wish I could see some salvaged stuff on house crashers and bath crashers!! Thanks! Just my 2 cents worth!

Posts: 2 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: Aug 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Particle board (not "pressboard") cabinets can survive the removal process if removed carefully. The makeover shows rarely carefully remove anything, they're going for the drama and frankly they don't allow enough time to do it in a more thoughtful manner. If a homeowner is able to do their own demolition when redoing their kitchen the cabinets can be salvaged and given to a local Habitat for Humanity Reuse store or other used building material reuse store. HFH does not use used stuff in homes they build. I served on a HFH board a number of years ago and the policy was to use all new materials.

About 6 years ago we built a kitchen at our church with used cabinets from a member. Her contractor carefully removed them and we installed them in the new coffee house kitchen in almost the exact same position they had in the previous installation. It was a win/win she got a tax deduction and our coffee house got a very serviceable kitchen for next to nothing. We had to buy a new sink & faucet, dishwasher, and microwave. Everything else either came from her kitchen or we had already.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6954 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post