Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Environmental Living
  New Snow Removal Ordinance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Snow Removal Ordinance Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
Our community had enacted a new regulation this year that says homeowners that live on the main street within village limits are required to keep the public sidewalks in front of their homes free of ice and snow. Any homeowner that doesn't comply within 24 hours of a snowfall will be fined $50 for every day of non-compliance. Of course, living on the main street means the state snowplows throw a frozen, compacted bank of snow on these sidewalks making it an even more cumbersome chore. I am a single female living alone. I don't have a snow blower (that would only be something else that wouldn't work when I went to use it) and I get skippy heartbeats when I exert myself in the cold. I've tried contacting village authorities but the consensus of replies is that there are no exclusions or exceptions and if I can't do it myself, hire someone. I can't find anyone that will shovel the walk for me (by asking neighbors and contacting the community center and church) and guys with plows are only equipped for driveway clearance, not driving up on the 4ft wide sidewalk. We are supposed to get a significant snowfall tomorrow and then temps below zero. This is a heart attack waiting to happen. Any suggestions?

Posts: 605 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have gotten lots of suggestions on your other post.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I just posted something for you on the cleaning forum. Hope it helps.

Posts: 3641 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Your ordinance isn't new in our area. It's required that the sidewalks get cleared.

We have neighbors with ATV and an attached snow plow. The young kid LOVES driving the sidewalks with it. It's about the only time neighbors DON'T complain that he is. lol

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ilvmicki2
posted Hide Post
Check with your church. Some scout and youth groups volunteer to help out with snow removal for people that aren't able to do it on their own.

Posts: 937 | Location: kcmo | Registered: Feb 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post