Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Real Estate
  Building Contractors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building Contractors Sign In/Join 
posted
I bought a piece of vacant property about a year ago, but I am having hard time finding a builder/contractor to build a new home for me. A lot of them seem to be over-charging, in my opinion... Where can I find a good, reputable and reasonable contractors in Clearwater, FL area? Is there some kind of website I can search through? Any suggestions will be appreciate it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
You might consider buying a one year membership on Angie's List. I've been using it to research contractors for remodeling jobs and found reading other's reviews very helpful.

Posts: 8187 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you seen names around town, I would start there. Talk to people, ask people who they know, I see signs in my area.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kayo78, Welcome to the real estate boards! Wave

Very interesting thread you have started ~ made me think of a number of responses. First one, are you ready to build NOW and know what you want? If not, take time to study blueprints and decide on the layout of the house itself, then the amenities you absolutely have to have, and then, the ones that would be nice but aren't essential.

Next, get your construction financing in order so when you do find the right contractor you are ready to roll....

If you are simply inquiring into some ideas, no wonder that you may be receiving over-inflated estimates. They have to know that you are serious and know what you are doing before they will take you seriously.

In the meantime, narrow down the list of possible builders by viewing open houses and, here, we have an annual Parade of Homes where contractors show off their skills by entering in the exhibition which includes homes in a number of price ranges. Check them out...

Then, when you know exactly what you want and have the financing in order, ask your top three choices for bids using the same specifications for all of them. Competition in business can be a great equalizer when it comes to inflated bids!

Good luck and let us know how the journey goes. Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
If you see an area of homes that appeals to you perhaps you could inquire with the homeowners. Most homeowners would be flattered to know that you like their homes and would likely share info with you.

Check with the local code office. They should have a list/knowledge of builders because they would inspect the homes as they are being built. Word of mouth is very helpful in these instances.

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As contractors ourselves we've found that some people who we price a house for seem to think they're being robbed which isn't true at all. Even though the market is down building materials have gone up. A piece of plywood that was 7.00 is now 17.00. A lot of plants have closed so in some areas the housing is starting to pick up so there's no back log of materials thus the prices are higher. Check around and ask those who are building a home and see who their contractor is and look at construction as it's going up.

Posts: 1115 | Location: North Carolina Close to Charlotte | Registered: Apr 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post