Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Real Estate
  Turning 5 bedroom into 4 bedroom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turning 5 bedroom into 4 bedroom Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello all Smile

We are in the process of purchasing a 5 bedroom/2 bath cape. The house is already dormered upstairs with 3 bedrooms and a bath.

The 2 bedrooms on the first floor are where we are contemplating something. We are thinking of turning the 2 bedrooms into one and adding a big walk in closet, since there isn't a huge closet in any of the rooms (the house was built in 1948)

My concern is the value of the house if we go to sell it one day. I'm concerned that people may not like having just one bedroom on the first floor or they like all of the kids on the upstairs floor. Or the fact that its now just a 4 bedroom house.

Do you think it's a good idea to turn those 2 bedrooms into 1? Will it be less attractive someday? Is this considered a nice upgrade?

Thanks, looking forward to everyone's responses.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Depending on your market and the square footage of the house I would take it a step further. I would make it into a true master suite on the first floor. Depending on where the bathroom is located I would convert it into a 1/2 bath and convert the 2 bedrooms into a master with walk in closet and full master bath.

If not feasible to convert the existing first floor bath into a 1/2 I would skip the tub in the master bath and put in a very nice shower.

I don't know your budget or what is most popular where you live but a 4 bdr with 3 baths is much more sellable here.

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming:
Depending on your market and the square footage of the house I would take it a step further. I would make it into a true master suite on the first floor. Depending on where the bathroom is located I would convert it into a 1/2 bath and convert the 2 bedrooms into a master with walk in closet and full master bath.

If not feasible to convert the existing first floor bath into a 1/2 I would skip the tub in the master bath and put in a very nice shower.

I don't know your budget or what is most popular where you live but a 4 bdr with 3 baths is much more sellable here.

The house is approximately 1500 sqft on a 10,000 sqft lot (a quarter of an acre). I'm on Long Island, NY. We were originally looking for 3bdr 1-2 bath houses, but this one just happened to be a great bang for the buck. I've only briefly looked around our neighborhood and it seems to vary. I will have to research more.

I never thought about having a master suite, since the bathroom is right next to the bedrooms already. It's something to think about, but that would be a big budget item.

Ultimately, its going to be a long term project, since we are just getting into the house and will need to save up for these things (along with tearing down the wall between the kitchen and living room to have a fully open concept house). There's so many upfront costs when purchasing a house that you never think about.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I think you have the right idea - one project at a time. You have a perfectly functional bathroom and you can make the changes as you go along. At 1500 sq ft I think a great master suite would be a good selling point down the road.

Good luck and keep us posted as you go along.

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I will Smile

posted Hide Post
okellies, First, Welcome to the Real Estate Boards where you will find many, many opinions (some directly opposite from others) but all well meant. Razz

I completely agree with Charming to take each project one at a time. For myself, a 1500 sf house with 5 bedrooms says that the bedrooms must be quite small indeed, so I think turning two into one with a nice closet might be an excellent idea even if there is no money or room to include a master bathroom. Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
The feasibility of it not being a budget breaker down the road will be the floor plan of the first floor. If it is like my SIL's first home, a cape probably smaller than your house, is the location of the existing bathroom. Her bathroom was not well located to make the best use of combining to two rooms. If your floor plan works better you can always rough in the space when you get to the bedroom changes to do the work down the road. Smile

posted Hide Post
The downstairs bedrooms are definitely small. Two of the rooms upstairs are quite large, one of them even has a walk in closet! My better half had even suggested the master be upstairs, but I'm not into the master on the second floor. :P

Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
An owners suite on the first floor is a big selling point here,as this suite is also requested for baby boomer parents, or inlaw suite, who may not be able to walk the stairs. Be careful about the bathroom as this plan calls for at least a 1/2 bath in the hall and a full bath in the owner's suite, ideally.

Posts: 9179 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by real estate lady:
An owners suite on the first floor is a big selling point here,as this suite is also requested for baby boomer parents, or inlaw suite, who may not be able to walk the stairs. Be careful about the bathroom as this plan calls for at least a 1/2 bath in the hall and a full bath in the owner's suite, ideally.

It's funny you mention that since I had thought about the future in case my better half's parents need a place to stay and can't walk the stairs.

The bathroom would be the tricky thing, if we decide to do that particular project in the future.