Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Real Estate
  renting while relocating
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

renting while relocating Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi, all.

I mentioned in another thread that I'm moving for a great job opportunity in the Bay Area (San Jose). I'm making a trip next week and have appointments to view apartments in larger complexes through property management companies. The market is very tight there so I'm also looking at condos or apartments listed on Craigslist. It's been years since I was a renter and I've seen stories about rental scams on various news sites. I have to move quickly and am stressed out about finding a place -- what is the best way to approach rentals that don't go through property managers and may be individual landlords? Is there due diligence I can do to make sure they have the rights to rent the place? What's the best way to protect deposit money? Any advice or California-specific resources would be appreciated!

And happy Friday!

Posts: 638 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Just in general, word of mouth or personal reference is often always the best.

Does the company or job place you are moving to have any information resources?
Whomever hired you, can maybe direct you to some possibilities? Some companies have an online info blog, for buying/selling items, that could possibly be a resource.

If you need to find a secure place fast, you may not luck out on the best deal. In that case, I'd try to find a lease agreement that is shorter term, so you can possibly find better/cheaper substitute digs after you move?

Posts: 9635 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I live in a small town so maybe my info will not pertain to "city" living. In our towns rentals must be registered and inspected. If you go to the muninicipal office ( code enforcement) they should be able to tell you if a rental is legit.

Posts: 3197 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Go to a Realtors office with a rental dept.

Scams here include stranger meeting people at the property, previously breaking in the backdoor in preparation and collection of move in funds on a home they don't even own.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9271 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's sort of resolved itself because some places I was considering have been rented. I'll probably stick to a regular lease in a larger complex since it's less hassle; it's very pricey to do a shorter lease -- in some cases up to $1,000 more a month. Coming from a much less expensive area, there's definitely sticker shock.

The way my relocation works is I get an allowance but have to do everything myself (mover arrangements, housing, etc.). I can check with the relocation company contact, but it seems like I'm on my own. My soon-to-be manager gave me some apartment recommendations since she also relocated semi-recently so I'll see how it goes.

Posts: 638 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would rent your house in Austin if you can for now to help cover expenses, as higher cost of living in Cally. Use a good property management div. through a Realtor. Just a thought...I know you love that house after all the sweat and tears.

Picture of BMichel
posted Hide Post
Social sites and friends are not always reliable. I remember relocating in the past and using a site that seemed reputable. Imagine my surprise when I was peeping through windows of properties that were either never on the market or were on the market over a year ago! Relocating is stressful. Use a reputable agent to make the transition smooth. You do not want to get settled in and in 6 months receive notice that you have to move.

Posts: 10 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Nov 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Gee, sorry, San Jose is beautiful but really expensive.
Perhaps the advise of REL is really the best, rent your house in Tx and rent in San Jose. untill you really know what you are going to do in the future.

Posts: 5009 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think your house is a good investment in Austin, and I know prices are rising there.I think rental may be smart.