Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Real Estate
  Cleaning hairspray build-up off vinyl floor tiles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning hairspray build-up off vinyl floor tiles Sign In/Join 
Picture of sunnysunflowers
posted
Hello!

Does anyone know of a good non-abrasive cleaning product that will remove dirt and hairspray build-up off vinyl floor tile in the bathroom?

Thank you!

Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sunny, I have no idea whether or not this would be a good solution but, for the floor, think I would combine a very weak nail polish remover solution and vegetable oil, shake well, spray and wipe. Rinse and then do it again and check if it is doing the job... Razz

No doubt, someone will be along soon to suggest a better solution and for the mirrors? A vinegar solution should work fine - be sure to rinse and wipe dry immediately.... Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting idea, Idaho. Personally, I wouldn't use either of those two items on a floor. In particular, the veg. oil, combined with a b/r's moisture, could be very dangerous, IMHO.

Sunny, when I saw your post earlier, I immediately thought of a vinegar solution. (We're thinking alike there, Idaho!) For general cleaning, try a 50/50 solution of water and white vinegar. That, combined with a little elbow grease for the dirt, should take care of it.

If you need something stronger (I doubt it, BTW), numerous recipes are also available for a version of vinegar windex. Typically, it's less vinegar plus 1/2 - 1 tsp. of liquid dishwashing soap, depending on the quantity desired. If you'd like one of those recipes, post back. Or, you can find tons of them and other info on the web.

Incidentally, the white vinegar's extremely cheap (by the gallon) at big box and warehouse-type stores.

Take care -

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 484 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LA's AWESOME is a great product, available at Dollar tree, Dollar General, WM, etc. Cheap and good.

Posts: 1954 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a couple more thoughts about this, Sunny.

1/2 & 1/2 would be for your (current) big job. You'd probably need less vinegar for maintenance, going forward.

After cleaning, evenly mop floor with warm water to prevent streaks and open windows to air out.

Good Luck!

Posts: 484 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
My DD's would get it on the painted bathroom door, and the thing that took it off was a Magic Eraser. Obviously this was not a large build-up, but nonetheless it did the job!

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure I cleaned it off with Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner. (Back when DD used it in her bathroom)

Most general cleaners (even shampoo) I think can clean it on vinyl flooring? Careful with the use of Mr Clean eraser if you have a gloss finish on your vinyl, as it is prone to dull/abrade some plastics!

Posts: 9608 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I moved into a house once formerly occupied by a "big hair" woman; regular (blue) glass cleaner removed the (way)overspray. The main ingredient there is ammonia.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post