Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Real Estate
  HOA- Humorous story
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOA- Humorous story Sign In/Join 
Picture of conrad
posted
I heard a story (supposed to be true) about a homeowner who retaliated against ridiculous decorating rules of her HOA. She looked for a way to get even and checked very carefully and her CC&Rs allowed sculpture in the back yard, no height/size restriction that she could find stated. Also any backyard sculpture/art piece could be spot lit from below.

She found a fiberglass "Bob's Big Boy" at a local auction (restaurant chain dissolved). You know the 40 foot, chubby boy holding the hamburger in the air with one arm? (comes apart in sections and bolts together) She bought it and installed in her back yard. Lit it up too (could be seen throughout the hood). THE HOA board went CRAZY but could not do anything as there were no violations they could find. She eventually took it down after a few months but they no longer told her the linings of her drapes were the wrong color! Wink

Posts: 9432 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
If true, I bet her neighbors got a real big kick out of that. (eye roll)

Posts: 5166 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I am not totally against the idea of an HOA and some reasonable rules that are agreed upon, but when it gets anally ridiculous and everyone's home needs to look like cookie cutter twins (inside drapery linings and all), I can sure appreciate someone doing the above. Wink

Oh and to amend: DH said it was not that large (40 ft) (I was thinking of the "Happy Chef, holding the big spoon" size statue size wise. Big Boy usually was either out front or even on the roof of the restaurants...so maybe 7-8 feet tall? Still big enough for a statement, I would say.

As far as the neighbors...with all the homes the same colors, landscaping, overall appearance, it was probably easier for guests to find their homes. "Just look for the lit up Big Boy", we are two houses south" Smile

Posts: 9432 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
It's folks like that who should stay far, far away from HOAs. For their sake and their neighbors' sake.

How about the poor next door neighbor who is putting their home on the market and has to deal with that crap.

I've lived in various HOAs in different cities for more than 20 years and have never come across outrageous or unreasonable restrictions. Maybe I was just lucky or maybe it's because of my due diligence. Who knows.

Bottom line: some folks are just not cut out for HOA living.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I posted this story with light hearted smile, please take it as such. I also understand certain HOA covenants are helpful in keeping property values consistent for the owners investment reasons.
There are some however whom even state what type and BRAND your shades and draperies must be, as well as the colors and types of annuals (flowers) a homeowner can plant in their front beds. What type and size/weight dog you can have.
We have also lived and do live in neighborhoods with HOAs and some very good, reasonable rules. We did look them over before we purchased to see if we had any issues with the rules. That is the best idea for any buyer, I agree with you there.

Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I love the story whether true or not...I also love our HOA...so far...Big Grin

We moved into an HOA to escape purple and lime green homes, 18 wheelers on the street 2 doors down, radio towers on roofs,etc. We do have to "clear" modifications, but they are reasonable.

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7385 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
I posted this story with light hearted smile, please take it as such.

Of course; I knew that. OTOH, I'm just getting started. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:
quote:
I posted this story with light hearted smile, please take it as such.

Of course; I knew that. OTOH, I'm just getting started. Smile

Hmmm, aychihuahua, I think you must have left your sense of humor somewhere in the past as well as your common sense as this is not the first thread where you have delighted in throwing cold water upon light-hearted topics ~ guess you want everyone to see the world as you do ~ a dark dim place where you better get "them" before they get "you" without ever once thinking to take an opportunity to laugh.

Thankfully, most of us do have a sense of humor and found the story related by conrad to be funny and ironic ~ think most of us can identify with over-reaching HOA rules and regulations and laugh when it comes back to bite ~ but in a gentle way.

Sorry that your way and your world is so rigid, achychihuahua, most of us are a bit more flexible, enjoy the humor in human situations and wake up to meet the world with a smile on our face ~ expecting good things, not bad! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is funny-wish I could try something like that here, though who knows what would happen!

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is hysterical! I would have loved to have seen that. :-)

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
There is a "creamsicle" color home in my neighborhood. There are hot pink drapes in the front window. All other curtains are white. Of course, you can see this from the street. What is just as bad the drapes are 3/4 length. My left eye gets a pain everytime I pass that house. LOL

However to each his/her own.

Posts: 9182 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I've seen some HOA's that can be a bit overbearing. When I lived in northern VA (suburban DC) the "Countryside" HOA in Sterling VA fined a guy for changing his outside light fixture without prior approval. They didn't object to the design he just didn't get it approved.

My own HOA got a complaint about a neighbors paint color after they rebuilt from a major fire. Thing is, it was the same color as before the fire. The color had faded a bit in the 4 years from being built until the fire but it was the same color. It was pinkish, but not Pepto Bismol pink. Then, when the proved the color was the same someone (likely the same person) complained about their backdoor color. This was a full "light" door with maybe 8" of painted metal around the window. Really people? A door that is facing their backyard, and the nearest homes are 100 wooded feet away are complaining because the backdoor was blue?

Our HOA architectural review board had a busy buddy on on it for a while. She'd want to disapprove a front porch addition because the homeowner wanted to use a standing seam copper roof. But... but.. the house has shingles. Yes, but, standing seam copper is used for porches throughout the neighborhood. Shingles were inappropriate because you couldn't get enough pitch to the roof because of the space between grade and the second story windows.

For the most part our HOA is pretty low key and the homeowners all do what it takes to help maintain property values in the neighborhood.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6860 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post