Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Real Estate
  Tried everything under the sun and won't sell
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tried everything under the sun and won't sell Sign In/Join 
posted
I keep thinking there is something wrong, but I am not seeing it with my home as I am too close to it possibly. We are building new and are stuck with the old. The clock is ticking now. If you can see anything wrong or have any recommendations, I would love it hear from you. Not sure where to go from here. Thanks much.

http://www.remax.com/realestat...gid600022890239.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gcristo,

Posts: 7 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
How long has your home been on the market? What have potential buyers told you as far as feedback? What is the selling price of comparable homes in your neighborhood?

Generally price is the problem if the owners feel they've "tried everything" and the house still hasn't sold. Proper price solves a lot of woes (such as condition or location). Also, not listing the home with an experienced realtor cuts down on the potential buyer pool and lengthens the seller's days on market.

Your home may be lovely, updated, and sparkling clean, but the interior photos need re-done as they are almost all far too dark. Turn on all the lights! Take the interior pictures on a sunny day! There also needs to be a picture of the master bath, another bedroom, and the backyard.

Also -- hate to say it -- but the black & white wallpaper bedroom will turn a lot of buyers away. It's a very personalized pattern & color choice AND buyers hate to immediately have a "to do" list that includes removing wallpaper. I suggest you take it down and paint the room a nuetral color.

Stay tuned for more input from other posters...

Posts: 8200 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input. It is listed with a professional. Sorry for not posted the agents site.

Posts: 7 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Why do you have the different season pics on, kind of makes it look like it has been on the market for a l-o-n-g time (even if it has).

I like the bedroom wall paper. Maybe put a solid white spread on (or even a solid black) and change the black lamp shade to solid white and take the 2 pics off the wall and possibly remove the floor lamp on the other side of the bed. Having more white would help neutralize the wall paper a little more. Paint the purple wall white

In the living room, remove the books and pics on the cabinet by the fireplace and maybe just have 1 lamp centered there. Just the pic on the mantle. Maybe remove pillows on sofa and also those in the corner seating area in the kitchen. Just gives a little more "space".

Kids playing ice hockey, is this on your property or a park across the street?

Nothing on the white table cloth, you already have a light above it so don't add more clutter.

Make sure price is where it needs to be. I really like the house.

I don't mind coming to work. But that 8 hr. wait to go home is a drag.
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x189/indycatCarol/

Posts: 3459 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input. I might take my listing off craigslist and just let the agent do her job on Remax. It has been on the market 55 days now. In about another week we will be on the pond skating!

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Ask your agent where the listing can be found other than the MLS. I hope the photos are personal photos and not the ones your agent is using.

If the agent's photos are as dark and unfocused - ask about using a real estate photographer. They are relatively inexpensive and all they photograph is houses.

IF you leave it on Craigslist then photo #8 is the one that should be first.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3572 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
http://www.remax.com/realestat...gid600022890239.html

These pics look alot better.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: indycatCarol,

I don't mind coming to work. But that 8 hr. wait to go home is a drag.
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x189/indycatCarol/

Posts: 3459 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I'm looking for a house, I'm not looking for pictures of common area landscaping. I'm also not looking for pictures of dining room tables or porch furniture. I want to see a few pictures of the house exterior and property and the rest of the rooms showing space, closets, windows, walls and how the rooms relate to each other. When the camera is pointing down at furniture and accessories, it is not showing us the house.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
CS - You have no idea how many listings I see where you have to determine if they are selling furniture or the house.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3572 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I agree with hiring a professional photographer with a real estate experience. You have to get people to want to see your home in person, in order to fall in love with it.

Suggestions?
Turn the lights on?! The photos of the kitchen and dining look dark and abandoned, rather than light and welcoming. Pictures of the WHOLE house, rather than cut off roof sections from the outside. Neighborhood activities and perks are nice pluses but people are going to be buying your house first.

Posts: 9656 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
The various pictures of your house with seasonal decor would be great to put on the kitchen counter for potential buyers to view.

Posts: 8200 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
OK, maybe you switched pix when I was not looking, but what I see is a gorgeous home that is well staged. It allows me to see the bones of the home and exterior, as well. The photographs are excellent. Great curb appeal.

Furnishings are important to help a prospective buyer comprehend the dimensions of the room. Contrary to what most people think, an empty room looks smaller than when it is appropriately furnished.

I don't know your market at all, so I can only hazard a few guesses as to why your home is not selling. Most likely it is the asking price that is out of whack.

Also, there may be other factors not visible from the photos: Are you near a loud busy highway? Or, disruptive commercial businesses? A nearby railroad?

Is this an HOA? How are the fees and the amenities? How is the school system? How is the local economy?

Are you in competition with new construction nearby?

What does your agent say?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5324 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I was looking at (and commenting on) the original pictures from the OP's first post. The ones that indycatCarol posted are much better.

Posts: 9656 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
What is your Realtor telling you?

Where is the pool of buyers for this type of property? Your Realtor knows that answer. If corporate, where is that corporate pool, what is the largest closest city and how far..too far?

Get to the root!! Location, location, location...and or price..usually the two biggest reasons homes don't sell.

Throw away pictures in craigslist and use the professional pictures that your agent is using in MLS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9274 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Pictures are coming off Facebook now.

posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be in competition with your Realtors efforts in posting on Craigslist, etc. Let them do their job and ask outright~~ why is my house not selling? What are the SOLD comps? Price price price and location location location. Get to the root.

posted Hide Post
Very true. I was just helping out. I did take them off Craigslist. We will wait and see what happens. I think it's been on the market now 60 days. Smaller homes are going fast. The mid range like mine... not so much.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Whose pictures are the ones that IndyCarol put in her post? are those the house of the original poster? or are these different houses.

Posts: 5010 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are my agent's photos. I took off the photos on craigslist.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
You have a beautiful home, I couldn't find anything wrong with your home.
Therefore, if it doesn't sell, it has to be pricing. find out what your agent says about the comps in your area.

Posts: 5010 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. You are probably correct. I might have to rent. At this point, we don't want to take a $70,000 loss. I think that's what most are doing now in this area at our price point. Little homes are going quickly as are town homes. We will see what happens. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

posted Hide Post
Surely when you listed your home, your Realtor presented a marketing plan. What was that..and what has been done to date. Open houses? Scheduled advertising? Broker Opens? If you price
is within range of market, and if marketing has been done - I would think you would be getting offers.

Again --what is your Realtor telling you?