Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Real Estate
  How people find a real estate agent
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How people find a real estate agent Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm a numbers guy - curious how people decide on the right agent (non-agents only), what info they rely on, and if real historic info was available would that be used?

Question:
What is your age?

Choices:
17 or younger
18 - 20
21 - 29
30 - 39
40 - 49
50 - 59
60 or older

Question:
What is your highest level of school you have completed/highest degree received?

Choices:
Less than high school diploma
High school diploma or equivalent
Som college but no degree
Associate degree
Bachelor degree
Graduate degree

Question:
Have you ever used a real estate agent for the purchase or sale of a home?

Choices:
Yes
No

Question:
If your answer to question 3 was "Yes", how did find the agent(s) you hired?

Choices:
Friend Referral
Professional Referral
Yellow Pages
Internet Search
Print Advertising
Television Advertising
Other
Not Applicable

Question:
If you answered "Yes" to question 3, did you interview multiple agents to find a "best fit" for your needs?

Choices:
Yes
No
Not Applicable

Question:
If you answered "Yes" to question 3, would you consider the real estate agent that you selected as the best selection?

Choices:
Definitely
Probably
Unsure
Probably Not
Definitely Not
Not Applicable

Question:
If you answered "Yes" to question 3, in reviewing your previous transaction would you use the same agent if you had the opportunity to complete the same transaction again?

Choices:
Yes
No
Not Applicable

Question:
If a source based upon historical data was available to assist you in hiring a real estate agent, would you consider this a valuable resource?

Choices:
Definitely
Probably
Unsure
Probably Not
Definitely Not

Question:
If a source based upon historical data was available to assist you in hiring a real estate agent, would you be willing to pay for information?

Choices:
Yes
No

Question:
If you answered "Yes" to question 7, how much would you be willing to pay for such information?

Choices:
Less than $10.00
Between $10.01 and $20.00
Between $20.01 and $30.00
Between $30.01 and $40.00
More than $40.00

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you're planning to go into business...yes?

Posts: 113 | Registered: Mar 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caroln242:
Sounds to me like you're planning to go into business...yes?

Bingo. And, it would be a "source based upon historical data (that)was available to assist you in hiring a real estate agent."

PS I would not pay ONE penny for this service. I can find a good agent on my own.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5285 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree, ridiculous. Besides the fact that it's not how most people find agents - too much data readily available.

ETA: Funny - a blank poll results form.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SurfNow,

Posts: 499 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
There are tons of realtor referral services out there. The major leagues like ReMax, Century 21, Prudential who are international have very active international referral services. No need to fill out a poll.

Posts: 9253 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not touching this thread with a ten-foot pole or even a short post! Big Grin

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of my HGTV message board friends! Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the moment i am simply looking to answer some questions after a number of anecdotal stories as well as my own experiences. Some can find an agent on their own through personal contacts and I would hope they would indicate that through the survey.

This survey serves as a litmus test to see what type of info is even important, since it is a market of imperfect information if real data would help your decision.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An experience is the key source of learning. The experience of a businessperson in real estate business can help newcomers, as they are new to the market.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Aug 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, brother.

posted Hide Post
Okay, I said that I wouldn't touch this thread with a 10 foot pole but, since it is still up after such a long time with very few responses, here goes:

You find a qualified real estate agent to represent you exactly how you find a lawyer, accountant or doctor! What is so hard to understand about that, folks? Razz

You ask other people who have used professionals in the area of your concern, check their credentials on-line re licensing boards and, then arrange some sit-down, face-to-face time. Big surprise - the professional might just reject YOU as a potential client or vice-versa.

Doubt that fancy surveys or polls really play a big role in this situation. At least it doesn't seem so given the lack of response to this thread...

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier01:
At the moment i am simply looking to answer some questions after a number of anecdotal stories as well as my own experiences. Some can find an agent on their own through personal contacts and I would hope they would indicate that through the survey.

This survey serves as a litmus test to see what type of info is even important, since it is a market of imperfect information if real data would help your decision.

Just curious, do you choose your Dr. in the same manner?

Posts: 4996 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what a rediculous thread.

posted Hide Post
Finding a good and right real estate agent is not this difficult the way you are thinking...It's easy the only thing is you have to have little faith on them..

Posts: 2 | Location: Portland | Registered: Oct 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I think that before selecting a real estate agent you have to do a market survey. This can give you a better idea about real estate agents. Generally a good real estate agent should have qualities like area knowledge, price of the properties and good contacts for selling and buying properties.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doris Lira:
Finding a good and right real estate agent is not this difficult the way you are thinking...It's easy the only thing is you have to have little faith on them..

quote:
Originally posted by skyavenuerealty:
Well, I think that before selecting a real estate agent you have to do a market survey. This can give you a better idea about real estate agents. Generally a good real estate agent should have qualities like area knowledge, price of the properties and good contacts for selling and buying properties.

I think you both should know that the professionals on the boards do not use links to their businesses on the boards.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3495 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and as a result of you posting your links you have been reported to the Administration of these boards. Rules include "no advertising".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by real estate lady:
...and as a result of you posting your links you have been reported to the Administration of these boards. Rules include "no advertising".

Twice!

Fun and Info

Posts: 3495 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First the agent should be licensed by relevant expert bodies including the national Association of Realtors. Registered agents pledge to follow the ethics code of conduct concerning their business practices. One more aspect you may rely on includes the referrals from happy customers, clients, close friends and colleagues.
miami beach realtors

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's another one that didn't read the rules.-

Picture of Sunny Daze
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, brother.

Big Grin

Posts: 2544 | Location: usa | Registered: Sep 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is it better to have your own agent or go with the agent that has the property listed?

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, This thread was buried months ago because it was started by an individual who didn't read the rules and didn't care as it was simply a mis-guided attempt to advertise.

I did read your question and think it is a good one. Please start your own thread using your question as the thread topic. If you don't know how to start a thread, no problem. Post that fact and I'm sure others will be happy to "walk you through it" ~ it's easy BUT the one thing I do know is that regular posters here are tired of the "wann-a-bees" and most likely will not respond on a thread that has been discredited.

Start a new thread on your own behalf ~ bet you receive a lot of sincere and helpful responses when you do. Cool

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odisius:
is it better to have your own agent or go with the agent that has the property listed?

You want to have your own representation in the negotiations to make one of the largest purchases you will make in your life. The listing agent of the property is working for the seller. Their loyalty is to the seller first. That does not mean they will not be honest with you - just their job is to get the best possible price for the seller.

Here in SC a dual agent (working both sides of the transaction) must disclose this info to you. Plus let you know that you can not or should not share anything with the agent that you do not want the seller to know.

It is always better to have someone working exclusively for you.

Fun and Info

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are tons of realtor referral services out there. The major leagues like ReMax, Century 21, Prudential who are international have very active international referral services. No need to fill out a poll.

REL - Did you hear about Prudential? They were purchased by the parent company my brokerage is with and they just spun us both off into a new partnership with Berkshire Hathaway!

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
Is it better to have your own agent or use the agent that has the property listed?

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odisius:
Is it better to have your own agent or use the agent that has the property listed?

Please look above a couple of posts and you will see your question was answered, at least IMHO.

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
I've bought and sold many properties,I prefer to use the listing agent when buying.
I would not suggest this for a first time or inexperienced buyer.
If one needs to ask the question, it is probably best to hire your own agent.

Posts: 2463 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charming... so what's the new name....

Prud Hathaway...hahaha...okay just kidding!!!

I think if I ever left ReMax after "all these years..I would call my new company "Real estate Lady" hahaha

oh, we could meet up in Ga. and open and call it "Two Real Estate Ladies"... okay..okay..I'm done.
luv ya..Charming..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

posted Hide Post
I think you have to do market survey before the meet real estate agent. in this way you get many useful information...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: schell,

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schell, while you mean well, many propective buyers get Realtor referrals from the friends
who have bought. Others sign up on a lead system
in order to view homes in the area/city of interest. Then a Realtor in that area will call
the lead (buyer) back to help.

Any buyer could be offended asking about the educational background..age, etc. In addition your survey refers back to differnt questions which are not numbered..and presents confusion.

Good luck with your endeavor... but to be honest I would say - forget it.

Picture of JamesBarker
posted Hide Post
Thats interesting ... you keep in mind of personal security and monetary security and be sure of the critical solutions in the future.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JamesBarker,

Posts: 1 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are so many realtors who provide real estate services. So before finding a trustable and faithful real estate agent you should take recommendations from others. Last year when I was having a problem in selling my home in Utah, I searched a lot for realtors in Utah then someone recommend me Keith El-Bakri from Southern Utah Realty who helped me out in solving my problem and I got a good profit by selling my house in Utah. So before relying on any real estate agent you should make a proper research about real estate agents.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we contact the correct real estate agent who had more experience in real estate field, then we have more chances to sell or buy the property quickly. Agents are useful for advice and they have more knowledge about housing details. They deal with neighborhoods and prices every day so, know the best areas to live and what you should be paying or be selling for.

pspc

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Real estate is the fastest growing profession because of the high demand in necessity of living. When we contact the correct real estate agent who had more experience in real estate field, then we have more chances to buy the property quickly. Agents are useful for advice and they have more knowledge about housing details. They deal with neighborhoods and prices every day so, know the best areas to live and what you should be paying or be selling for.

Luxury Apartments Developers Bangalore

real estate developer

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any business person cheating on the rules of a message board is sure to cheat their customers.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post