Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Real Estate
  My 2nd. house is now on the market.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 2nd. house is now on the market. Sign In/Join 
Picture of indycatCarol
posted
Would you make any changes in the staging? I know the one bedroom could use a nicer looking dresser but I only have so many and I need one here at my new home also.
In the master BR I have moved 1 of the dressers with a light to the wall where you come in as that is where the light switch turns on a light. I have the ceiling fan/light remote on the dresser by the bed.
Any other changes you see to make in the staging?
http://www.easystreetrealty-in...NDX=0&MLNUM=21260575

I don't mind coming to work. But that 8 hr. wait to go home is a drag.
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x189/indycatCarol/

Posts: 3435 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello IndycatCarol!Smile
You have a lovely home. There are a few things I see as I am looking at your home. Every room in the home seems to be updated but the kitchen. Everyone I know today when looking at a home the kitchen is one of the main things they look at. Any plans to do some minor updates like maybe like checking craigslist for appliances if you are short on funds. Doesn't have to be stainless. Or getting discount appliances where they are discontinuing a model or brand? Countertops need some updating too to me. Bathrooms need shower curtains and some decorative towels hanging on them. Some of the beddrooms need either be just empty or borrow from a family member or neighbor stuff you can stage in bedroom until your home sells.Neutralize paint is some if not all of the rooms. You may have loved the paint color when you lived in it but a potential buyer may pass up on your home because of the paint color. Just a thought!Smile Or search Craigslist Hope this helps! Wow! Great home prices in your area!Smile If I can think of anything else I will let you know. Otherwise, looks good. Which room is the master bedroom?

Posts: 168 | Location: Creve Coeur, Missouri | Registered: Jan 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lovely home. Your colors are a bit dark for me but it seems if you would open window treatment to let in more light it might be okay. You will have to see what your agent says after showings. The only room that would bother me with color is the bath. I dislike painting around toilets and such. You might want to consider a neutral there.

I also wondered about the bedroom where the bed was stuck in a nook. The only way it is useable is to crawl over the foot. Is there anyplace else you can put it in the room? It is just a really bad px.

Posts: 6733 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for your comments.
The baths do have towels hanging in them, you can just barely see them in the one bath.
The entrance wall from the front door originally was also dark brown and I painted that the light color. As you said, with the blinds open wide, it is a lot lighter in there than it looks. Surprisingly my realtor, a guy, loved all the colors. LOL!
I put the full size bed back in the "nook" (18" deep) to help make the room bigger although it would look just as well on the opposite wall, I just didn't have any big dresser to put in the "nook". IF I had kids that were in the smaller bedrooms they would have twin size beds but I realize most kids now "need" atleast full size.
The blue room is the master.

There is nothing wrong with the appliances and seeing this is a "starter" community I'm not going to invest in new appliances.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
never part stage with furniture or make do.

Here are my suggestions. If you can't put dressers in spare rooms to complete - remove beds.
Remove red chairs from dining room and living room and red frames on wall. Remove black thing from breakfast bar and add a bar stool.

You have so many competing colors.

Find two decent chairs to match or compliment the black sofa.

Remove lattice work from front and back. Remove pots in front of garage. Add red mulch to front garden area and plant some bushes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9182 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
That looks like a great home for the price. I would remove everything from the house including curtains, furniture, art, etc. I would not do anything else.

The colors will most likely not suit the next buyer, but they can possibly at least see their own furniture fitting in. Good luck with your sale!

Posts: 3036 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Lattice work is there to protect knockout rose bushes from rabbits till they are bigger.

Chairs under red slipcovers match sofa but thanks to cats, the leather is scratched hence why the whole 5 pieces will be slipcovered in red at my new house.

Black thing on shelf is a empty computer to represent a work space as there is a diningroom but it can also be used as breakfast bar.

posted Hide Post
I disagree with REL about the bedroom. When I was looking I just wanted to make sure a bed would fit. You can visualize the rest usually. If the bedroom is obviously large then you need nothing.

Your home is lovely inside and I would not be changing furniture for something someone may or may not like, especially since it does not stay with the house.

Looking again I did wonder about the lattice on the front of the house. It is where people used to use lattice to hide the hitch on a trailer home. If it is not there for a reason (hiding meters?) you may want to consider moving it.

When did your listing start? Have you had any calls for showings yet?

Posts: 6733 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
I believe it went on the market last Thur. and had a showing last Fri. The lady loved the house, flooring, colors, etc. just didn't like the big back yard as she has back problems and didn't want to mow all that. (half tempted to tell her she can have my 36" riding lawn mower for what is left on the loan. Only took me 10 min. to mow all the yard)
I think there was another showing this last week, said it was at the top of their list of places seen so far.
As I stated before, the lattice is to protect the knock out roses till they get bigger from the rabbits.

Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Understand the concept of a buyers' shopping trip, as many buyers want to cram in as many homes as the Realtor can set up and williing to show. After about 4 homes on the tour, it starts to get a bit confusing, and a Realtor will hear comments like..the house with all the different colors,or the house with the twin beds in the bedrooms.
Point being, twin bed denotes small. If the room is big enough for a double, put a double. If not, stage out the bedroom as a bedroom or as a nursery or just leave it empty with nice curtains,or blinds.

I am not sure where you got your staging advise, but your best shot to get the house sold is presenting a neutral palate. Understand buyers are trying to picture their furniture in your house. The paint colors are too taste specific. If the staging is tacky, it will only detract from the showing. The wall colors you chose makes it difficult for staging...so you have several problems going on here.

It is realized that you are trying to work with what you got so to speak, and that is understandable.

Try this, to open the floorplan up, move the sofa to the area where the red chairs are, along with the cabinet behind, get a new lamp, or remove the blue by repainting. Get an area rug for the living room area. Go light. Find another sofa similar and black and run along the wall If you insist on using red, use it as an accent color. The chairs need to be, tan, or a print which includes the green. Can you return the red slipcovers?

Personally, I would just remove all furniture and wall hangings existing. I like the drapes.
While I know you worked hard on staging, I think it would show better vacant.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9182 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You just went on the market and you had a showing already. I would not change anything at this point.

Keep us posted, please.

Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
The dark brown livingroom/diningroom walls, green kitchen/diningroom walls, blue master bedroom walls and red bathroom walls are what I liked about the house, I'm 66. My daughter also liked the colors, she is 41. A young lady across the street that is house sitting her sister's house came and looked at the house one day when I was working there said she wouldn't change any of the colors, she is in her mid 20's.
I have a question, so why on HGTV when they stage a home do I see HARD uncushioned straight chairs in the livingroom that look like they would only be comfortable to sit in for maybe 5 min.? That doesn't sound like inviting staging to me. Maybe they should leave the room bare, but then I always hear staged houses sell faster.
I guess the way I look at it, no matter what color the walls are, the new owner will more than likely repaint them anyway.
Sure sounds like a wide range of ages like the colors.
When I painted my house that just sold neutral colors my daughter hated it, said it was boring.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: indycatCarol,

posted Hide Post
You have a lovely property. I would pull the beds out and center them on a wall.
I would also move the pots from in front of the garage and take down the lattice even if you replace it with some mesh that wouldn't jump out at you.
The only other thing I would think about doing is painting the green walls...for some reason in my opinion they are detracting.
Good luck selling

Posts: 503 | Location: mi, usa | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pull the beds out into the room and remove the thing the microwave is sitting on in the kitchen. Just put it on the counter or take it out completely. Open the curtains and shades for showings. Remove the pots by the garage. I wouldn't paint but would give them a painting allowance if that's what anyone looking seriously at the house complains about. Very clean nice home.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kayhil,

Posts: 1115 | Location: North Carolina Close to Charlotte | Registered: Apr 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Just spoke with my realtor. We have had 8 showings since Oct. 18th. One lady loved the house but has a bad back and the huge backyard was too much for her to cut. One couple wanted something closer to work but otherwise liked the house. One person thought the house was overpriced for the neighborhood, 2 other couples, it is at the top of their list but they have just started looking.

No mention of room colors not liked.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Look your house looks wonderful, and if the price is right, I don't find any faults.
don't worry about the pain, people are not that picky, if they don't like a color they will change it.
Good luck. and simply wait. is a nice house.

Posts: 4905 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Since I am wishing I could move into a single story home, and I have a son looking for his first home I will give you my impression. First I like that the home is on the "newer" end and not 40 years old. I wouldn't mind the lattice, but you should remove the pots as I would want them moved to see that the garage door actually opened. You don't put cars in there? I don't mind the red inside. I think in that location the extra cabinet & microwave bring attention to perhaps a smaller kitchen. Can that be moved to the end by the slider? I would add a bar stool & remove the object on the floor there. It would be a perfect home for my son & his critters would love the yard. Good luck!

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7386 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
KG in CA, where does you son want to buy, maybe we can make a deal. LOL!

I have removed the pots in front of the garage. And I already moved the freezer and microwave (both of them can stay with the house if the buyer wants them) to the end of the cabinet by the slider.

The bar stool area is set up as an "office" area hence the cabinet for supplies and paper shredder. (paper shredder was removed after the pics so it doesn't "walk away".

Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Update on this house. I'm suppose to close Jan. 10th. So just under 3 months from listing to closing. And will sell for $4,000 more than the house just like it 5 houses down from mine sold for. That house was on the market for atleast 6 mos. Not one mention of room colors by anyone that looked at it.
Soon I will be down to just 1 house. Went from 3 houses to 1 in 1 yr.

posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Out of curiosity, did it sell to the woman with the bad back or to someone else?

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
GOOD FOR YOU! Congrats!!!

I also think decorating and always painting neutrals is a waste of time and money. The right buyer will either like it as is or see beyond what is there, to make it their own.

Posts: 9433 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Metwo, I don't think so. My realtor did say she had been to see it 3 times. She is a single lady and seems to be young. (checked her on on the internet.) I was going to give my new 36" riding lawn mower to my daughter and SIL (even though they live on a postage stamp lot) but I may see if she wants to buy it and if not, try to sell it.

I'll be happy to have most of my furniture back. LOL!

Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
House closed today. Back to 1 house that I have no intention of selling, atleast not soon. LOL!

Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
Wonderful news, indycat. I'm still emptying out my dad's place.

piney

Posts: 3110 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post