Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Real Estate
  Considering a Career in Real Estate
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering a Career in Real Estate Sign In/Join 
posted
I am planning on relocating to a new state in the next couple of years. Being in a new area (Houston or Austin, Texas) I have considered a career in Real Estate. I am not sure if I want to so this full time or not. Also I have considered selling homes in planned communities and from what I have been told is you do not need a Realtor license for that? Please correct me if that is not true. However, I am interested in real estate hopefully becoming a broker. In addition, commercial real estate interest me as well. Which would be better? What advice would you give a person that is interested in a career Real Estate?

Thank you for your input!

Posts: 67 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Depends on the state as for the license to sell for a builder/developer. In SC you have to be licensed to sell real estate. Going into a new area it would probably work in your best interest to work with a large agency. They would have the time and staff to teach you the area.

Living in an area with a transient population we have many people who think its a great idea to get their license to sell real estate when they can't find their way from one end of Myrtle Beach to the other.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope you are being serious, OP, and not just posting a thread to jerk our strings. Seriously, you "think" that you might like to be a real estate agent (part-time or, maybe full-time) but, most of all, you would prefer to be the broker?

Do you have any idea, at all, of what those positions involve? I doubt it; in fact, I'm not sure that you even have a clue what it will take to become even a part-time real estate agent. But I wish you well ~ stranger things have happened and, if you really want to make it real, go for it and post back.... Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IR, I think you were just a little rough on her. She has been posting for some time and there is no reason to think she is not serious

Geeezmarie, are you just thinking out loud? Remember that people looking for homes deserve someone who knows the area very well as well as the legal stuff. Were you not thinking of moving to Toronto?

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
IR, I think you were just a little rough on her. She has been posting for some time and there is no reason to think she is not serious

Geeezmarie, are you just thinking out loud? Remember that people looking for homes deserve someone who knows the area very well as well as the legal stuff. Were you not thinking of moving to Toronto?

LOL. I feel sorry for him because HGTV is reviewing their responses I posted to him because of some trigger words that were in that response! LOL!
Toronto is way too expensive and I just got totally confused with all the immigration stuff. I also considered Vancouver BC as well. Even though Toronto is a lot closer to Indiana, I decided to stay in the US. I fell in love with Texas and saw my possibilities of success in any field I choose to go into. Plus I am at an age that it is all about the lifestyle I want to live. in the Houston and Austin area, the cost of living is more workable than any other place I researched.
Real Estate is something I have been wanting to get into -but in the area I live in, the market is really conservative and so small. I prefer to start in a larger market. I know people in my area that do real estate part time and full time.
What irritates me is people that are interested in things that are on HGTV, some people like Idaho Resident think that is why we want to get into that particular field. Well, I did "Interior Design" (more like interior decorating) in the RV industry -but HGTV was not the reason, A lot of people in that industry immediately assume most people have the HGTV bug and want to do what they see on TV -that isn't true either. I bet that Idaho Resident think that is why I want to go into Real Estate -uh,no. HGTV makes the home buying process not a good experience for the Realtor because of all the drama and craziness the home buyer puts them through. Also looking at some jobs, I saw that sales positions for some home builder companies that one of the requirements was for someone that is in real estate must be willing to surrender their Real Estate licence. Not understanding that part. So I have a couple of years because Texas is a go.
I'll visit Toronto and Vancouver again because they are such cool cities!

Posts: 67 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Resident:
I hope you are being serious, OP, and not just posting a thread to jerk our strings. Seriously, you "think" that you might like to be a real estate agent (part-time or, maybe full-time) but, most of all, you would prefer to be the broker?

Do you have any idea, at all, of what those positions involve? I doubt it; in fact, I'm not sure that you even have a clue what it will take to become even a part-time real estate agent. But I wish you well ~ stranger things have happened and, if you really want to make it real, go for it and post back.... Cool

You are really not worth my time to truly respond. Seriously. I do not need to justify my post. If HGTV decides to approve my original posts you will see how honest I got with you and you might think twice about making replies in such a rude way. I hope your Real Estate career improves because this is probably why you responded in such a manner. Or is it that you feel intimidated and chose to intimidate me as a result? I don't intimidate easily -namely from Basic people.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your future plans. IR can be sharp with her responses, but I think like many of us who have been in real estate at some point in their lives have had the "joy" of trying to close a deal with a part-time agent.

Plus, I have had the joy of working with people who just relocated to the area and have little knowledge of the market, the neighborhoods, the infrastructure, government, taxes, etc. Plus they are not familiar with the attorneys, home inspectors, hoa's, insurance requirements, etc.

Even more important, whatever you learned about real estate laws in Indiana you can forget when you move to Texas, each state has their own laws and conventions.

PS - don't hold your breath waiting for your original post to be approved. If you used a trigger word then your post will never be seen again. IR was blunt with you, no need to be rude.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming:
Good luck with your future plans. IR can be sharp with her responses, but I think like many of us who have been in real estate at some point in their lives have had the "joy" of trying to close a deal with a part-time agent.

Plus, I have had the joy of working with people who just relocated to the area and have little knowledge of the market, the neighborhoods, the infrastructure, government, taxes, etc. Plus they are not familiar with the attorneys, home inspectors, hoa's, insurance requirements, etc.

Even more important, whatever you learned about real estate laws in Indiana you can forget when you move to Texas, each state has their own laws and conventions.

PS - don't hold your breath waiting for your original post to be approved. If you used a trigger word then your post will never be seen again. IR was blunt with you, no need to be rude.

Thanks Charming.

However Idaho Resident was rude. She didn't even have to respond if She had nothing to say that someone can take away as good advice.But She was rude. I see this as she was having a bad moment in life, but if it happens again, I have no other choice but to call as part of her personality that I cannot tolerate. Poor lady. Her response that is being seen as blunt,has tainted this thread and taken away from the subject at hand. Sadly this is a sign of the Evil Eight Signs of a Sociopath. No insult, it is a real list. I don't know what her personal experiences are that will make her the way she is, but that was absolutely uncalled for. She is on the verge of being blocked.

Back to the subject: I know that it will be a process to learn the area that I will be moving to but I am up for the challenge. Oh I agree on the fact that the Real Estate laws will be different and one thing I was told is to learn the Real Estate Laws of Texas and not Indiana. To me, it is like learning any new career. I will have a pretty good network of people that will point me to the right direction that will point me to the right resources. Like I had mentioned in a earlier response, I want to hear different responses from others -that is how I am about anything *sigh* Blame the Libra in me!

Have a wonderful Sunday!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geezemarie,

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Geezmarie, welcome to Central Texas. There's never been a better time to jump into the real estate business: home sales are through the roof in the Austin-Round Rock market. The slump is over. I work as a freelance marketing consultant for a local agency just north of the Austin area, and I can tell you it is hot-hot-hot...and not just the temperature.

Because you are new to the area, it will take some time to get the lay of the land. One way to get started is to look for a real estate assistant's job with an agency. It's basically a go-fer job, but you will learn a lot about the local market this way.

If you have good internet and MS Office skills, especially Excel, good customer service skills and are reliable and organized, that will go a long way.

If you are a quick study, energetic and industrious, you can get the agency/brokerage to sponsor you and arrange for the proper licensing training, which in Texas is about 210 hours of instruction.

Back in the 80's, I took my RE licensing training in DC and got my license. But, I was working full-time and couldn't afford to leave that job to work full-time as an agent.

You really cannot be a successful agent on a part-time basis, as I found out to my chagrin.

Here's some basic info for you: http://www.trec.state.tx.us/

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Posts: 5331 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeez, Geezemaeie. I'm getting sorry I defended you.. Sociopath? Really?

It is best to stay on topic.

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
Jeez, Geezemaeie. I'm getting sorry I defended you.. Sociopath? Really?

It is best to stay on topic.

No I wasn't referring to you. I apologize you thought that. That wasn't the intention. Idaho, caused a reaction from me and that was directed towards her. I do value you and the
others insight and advice on Real Estate.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:
Geezmarie, welcome to Central Texas. There's never been a better time to jump into the real estate business: home sales are through the roof in the Austin-Round Rock market. The slump is over. I work as a freelance marketing consultant for a local agency just north of the Austin area, and I can tell you it is hot-hot-hot...and not just the temperature.

Because you are new to the area, it will take some time to get the lay of the land. One way to get started is to look for a real estate assistant's job with an agency. It's basically a go-fer job, but you will learn a lot about the local market this way.

If you have good internet and MS Office skills, especially Excel, good customer service skills and are reliable and organized, that will go a long way.

If you are a quick study, energetic and industrious, you can get the agency/brokerage to sponsor you and arrange for the proper licensing training, which in Texas is about 210 hours of instruction.

Back in the 80's, I took my RE licensing training in DC and got my license. But, I was working full-time and couldn't afford to leave that job to work full-time as an agent.

You really cannot be a successful agent on a part-time basis, as I found out to my chagrin.

Here's some basic info for you: http://www.trec.state.tx.us/

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Only 210 hours? With the complexity of Real Estate I would have thought it would be a lot longer! I'm sure that it's a challenging 210 hours. I have all the office skills MS Office -namely in Excel. When I worked for the State, I used to teach people MS Office. I know that Marketing is a big part as well. Would it be beneficial to take courses in that? Or will my training in Real Estate provide that?

Thank you for your response!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geezemarie:

However Idaho Resident was rude. She didn't even have to respond if She had nothing to say that someone can take away as good advice.But She was rude. I see this as she was having a bad moment in life, but if it happens again, I have no other choice but to call as part of her personality that I cannot tolerate. Poor lady. Her response that is being seen as blunt,has tainted this thread and taken away from the subject at hand. Sadly this is a sign of the Evil Eight Signs of a Sociopath. No insult, it is a real list. I don't know what her personal experiences are that will make her the way she is, but that was absolutely uncalled for. She is on the verge of being blocked.

Hmmmm, Hopefully I will push you to block me completely with this response instead of just keeping me "on the verge." So I am displaying "parts of a personality that you can't tolerate" simply because I posted that you needed to understand that becoming a part-time real estate agent vs. a full-time real estate agent didn't automatically give you a third choice of being the broker instead? And suggested that you go for it if you really wanted and post back to let us know how things work out?

And that generated such a firestorm of posts from you directed towards me that the mods actually have held up your posts - plural? And, to discover that such is "a sign of the Evil Eight Signs of a Sociopath"? And I take you at your word "that wasn't an insult because it is a real list."

Best of luck in the future wherever you end up ~ Indiana, Toronto, Vancouver or Texas.

PS. Anyone wanting to know the origins of the OPs responses, just scroll back up. I only posted once and I have never edited it so it is what it is ~ sorry the OP took such offense and decided that I am a sociopath; sad, actually. If I knew then what I know now, I would never have posted on OP's thread. Lesson learned.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geezemarie:

Only 210 hours? With the complexity of Real Estate I would have thought it would be a lot longer!

That's just for starters! Smile The link I posted will give you all the details. Again, good luck!

Posts: 5331 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Idaho Resident: You are the epitome of grace under fire. I am a long time lurker and appreciate your active, helpful participation on this board. Thank you, you are valued!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ladelta,

Posts: 89 | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread, if one wants to succeed in RE, one needs thicker skin.

If one forum post throws one out of control, one should be prepared for much worse IRL in the business of RE.

When one professional businessperson is thrown a real curve IRL, it is best to deal with it with politeness and aplomb.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ladelta:
Idaho Resident: You are the epitome of grace under fire. I am a long time lurker and appreciate your active, helpful participation on this board. Thank you, you are valued!

Thank you....

Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Best to check with the state you are planning to move to, once you choose one. Texas and Florida markets are up, rolling, and Realtors are back to their income numbers~~the REO and Short sale numbers are dwindling and I couldn't be happier.

It was rough sledding in most of the upper 48 here on the mainland. There were no breaks for Realtors, reduction of fees, due to the economic housing deboggle that lasted 5 years, and sent Realtors back out to knocking on doors.

Now if you are well tuned for good markets and bad markets, capable of putting money away for tough times, fall thru a rotton floor, don't mind tapping your foot for late clients,
willing to knock on doors for business, know how to smile, grit your teeth, dress like a million, willing to work at all hours of the night, can handle a death at a closing table, another Realtor stealing your client, be able to tell a buyer from a looky loo...

then this business could be for you!

Oh, and by the way..HGTV buyers... about the same in the real world.

As for IR, if you were half as dedicated in your proposed RE business as IR is on these boards...you could be a multi million dollar Realtor as some of us here on these boards.

Truly, best of luck to you...and question away..we are here to help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9278 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I apologize for the late response but I have been busy helping a friend prepare for her daughter's grad/going to college party so I have been ordering tents, painting basements,cleaning carpets, cleaning barns, and cleaning a 4000 sq. ft. house because she "can't do it all" LOL. The party is not until 6/27 so it's best to do it now and not have to stress with it in the home stretch. This party is going to be something else. I have been reading the responses that everyone via my phone, and I am now able to respond. (BTW, I do event planning on the side!)

I do want to thank everyone for your responses. I'm confident this would be a great career move when I move to the Houston Texas area. I have worked in the RV industry for years and this industry is not available in that area. So new city, new career. I know that I have the transferable skills to work in any industry to get me off the ground running until I get my Real Estate License, and with the help of knowing people in the Houston area that have strong business networks, I will be okay. I have many career choices on the table and this is the career choice that I keep coming back to.

From what I have been told, and what I understand about Real Estate,that Industry and The RV Business they kind of mirror one another in certain aspects. To me, you have to have a skin of steel to work in that industry because of all of the animated people you come across. Traveling from one show or rally to another and meeting and dealing with people in the industry and coach owners,you have to put on the white hat.

Again, thank you all for your responses!

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Geezemarie, there are certain people that post on this board as if they own it and seem to truly like confrontation and bullying. No one forces anyone to read or respond to any posts, so if you don't like the post, move on instead of posting salty comments to the OP.

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am the orginal poster. Please clarify. Did you realize that I am the OP?

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
No, not referring to you as I realize you are the original OP, referring to "one" that doesn't believe you're for real, and worse, not qualified, as if she knows all about you. To use the word "our" as if we are a collective group that encompasses her opinions, is, well, not right to say the least. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RV business and Real estate - no, nothing alike.

posted Hide Post
Selling half milion dollar coaches to discerning customers is like selling half million dollar homes to dscerning home buyers. Customer base might be slightly different, but they got money to spend, and you gotta give them what they want. Scrat that, we give them what they want where in Real Estate, you get close to what they want 50% of the time. When I was comparing businesses, more referring t customers and animated people therefore the need to have thick skin. We do a lot of builds for not your average clientelle (Race Car Drivers,Celebs,and wealthy people with money burning a hole in their pockets) and like people looking for homes, they can be difficult-including the people in this industry. Of course we don't have to deal with home inspections,mortgages,etc. I guess you have to be in this business to understand where I'm coming from to understand what I meant. They are in fact kind of the same in certain aspects.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
You are selling a luxury product to a small market. Whether it is a $40,000 C Class or a $500,000 luxury coach - it is still a luxury product to a small segment of the population. The only thing you have to worry about is their interest and disposable income.

In real estate you have to worry about state and federal laws and regulations. You have to know local markets and neighborhoods. You have to know local tax laws, land uses, zoning, mortgage brokers, banks, foreclosures, short sales, and any number of other variable factors. It goes far beyond personality.

I would be lost trying to translate my skill set in real estate here on the coast to working with clients in Texas. It would be a whole new ballgame for me to try and take my skill set to Columbia!

In real estate you are also in the middle. Whether working for the buyer or the seller you will be negotiating through another agent who is also working for a buyer or a seller.

A career in sales does not necessarily translate into a successful career in real estate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
You said you had contacts in Houston. I'd like to make a suggestion.
Get one to introduce you to a cooperative real estate broker or agent and spend a week in their office or tagging along to see what the industry is REALLY like.
I spent 1 yr. in real estate back in the late 70's, it wasn't for me because having worked in construction for many years...all the flaws in the properties jumped out at me. I had a hard time trying to push something that I knew would have problems sooner or later.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:
You said you had contacts in Houston. I'd like to make a suggestion.
Get one to introduce you to a cooperative real estate broker or agent and spend a week in their office or tagging along to see what the industry is REALLY like.
I spent 1 yr. in real estate back in the late 70's, it wasn't for me because having worked in construction for many years...all the flaws in the properties jumped out at me. I had a hard time trying to push something that I knew would have problems sooner or later.

Karen, Your experience would be appreciated in today's market as a buyer's representative. I have never "pushed" a house on anyone and have bent over backwards to make sure the buyers were as knowledgeable about any flaws in the property as possible.

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
I too worked in the seventies and have never pushed a property on a client. In addition if I saw a flaw or concern I would point it out, then, now, and my future. Always. Insisting on a home inspecting is a part of my personality. Do good, get good..is my motto.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

posted Hide Post
My advice is to listen to yourself. If you are interested in commercial real estate then do that; you do not want to hate your job, do you?

---------------
RES Singapore
http://www.pioneertraining.org/

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will, It's a good time to invest in real estate but I hope you're serious about it.

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post