Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Real Estate
  "Interesting" home in your hood?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Interesting" home in your hood? Sign In/Join 
Picture of conrad
posted
Thinking about often there is at least 1 home in a neighborhood that is just so unique...in some weird way? Might be fun to compare?

We have a home fondly referred to as "The Pink Lady's house". I grew up not far from this neighborhood and remember it from the early 60's and it has not changed much, as the same lady lives there. It is a well maintained, white stone home with pink and purple trim, purple porch carpeting, all outdoor wrought iron furniture and flowers are all the same pink and purple. I have heard the inside is similarly decorated in white, pink and purple. Heard from a carpetlayer, she ordered rolls of the right color dyed carpeting and replaced it as necessary. When her husband passed, of course the casket was purple.
As a grade schooler, I recall they had two white miniature poodles that were dyed each pink or purple.

Got to admire at least the consistency of decorating for 50+ years. Wink

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Around the corner from us is a traditional colonial-style brick home that fits right in with the rest of the neighborhood...until you see the inside.

The original owners apparently liked the neighborhood, but preferred the industrial/modernist look. So, the exterior of the house was built to match the rest of the subdivision while the interior was done in "downtown loft" style.

For example, the stair railing is stainless steel cable and glass, the floors are poured/stained concrete, the kitchen cabinets are industrial metal and ribbed glass, etc.

It's really no wonder that the house sat on the market unsold for 2 years a few years ago.

Posts: 8186 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I have been in a couple homes like that, where the inside style has totally nothing blend with the exterior architecture. Makes you do a double take..where you look again out the door to see what house you are in?

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conrad:
I have been in a couple homes like that, where the inside style has totally nothing blend with the exterior architecture. Makes you do a double take..where you look again out the door to see what house you are in?

LOL, my designer called that "b*asteriz*ation", people remodel and confuse the style of the house. Sounds like that one house to built that way on purpose. I have seen that in places like San Francisco, where the old exterior style is maintained, but inside is contemporary, it works there.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also like when the house is the same style inside and outside. But I have seen many with the different design.Tastes differ, one prefers everything modern, the second likes traditional architecture. As for me I prefer traditional as it always will be cute.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Nov 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I guess that I am with you, Traditional all the way, cannot see myself cooking and having the world looking at me.
I love rooms that define who they are and what they are.
Open concept is not for me. Just like the thought of double sinks in bathroom, When I am in the bathroom, I don't want company.

Posts: 4898 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
I am with you Rker.. no open plan for me either.I love distinct Living Room away from Family room.

And what's up with builder's in the open concept bathroom? Yikes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9179 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by real estate lady:
I am with you Rker.. no open plan for me either.

Count me in on that too. I like to be able to shut the kitchen off at times. No need to smell the whole house up with the E@ster ham. In the summer I close it off to keep the heat out from the living room. When I had teens it was nice to close a door and not hear their music. Now as an empty nester it is nice to close the door and not heat an extra room.

piney

Posts: 3100 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I live at the beach, we have quite a few unusual looking houses. Wink

One house in particular - the Space Ship house is quite popular and on several lists of must see unusual houses is not far from us.

Plus we have our very own Remington house. I don't think the owner had any concept of what a building permit was. He just tacked on rooms and areas to his house until it is an absolute unfinished maze.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3393 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
What you describe is a chopped up house, not a regular traditional home that contains a living room,dining room, family room and kitchen,Still it is difficult for me to understand the need for couple to have a bathroom with two sinks. I have homes with two sinks in a bathroom, but, I only use that bathroom. LOL. privacy in bathroom usage is a necessity for me.

Posts: 4898 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine trying to get ready for work in the bathroom with another soul. OMG.

Posts: 9179 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post