Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Real Estate
  What's best? Live in house or move out to sell?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's best? Live in house or move out to sell? Sign In/Join 
Picture of brynnsmom
posted
We completely moved out of our home to redo all hardwood floors and complete painting of everything. We want to sell our home but wonder if it's better not to move back in. What sells better? Empty or lived in?

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I think it is a whole lot easier for the seller...if they can move everything out and show the home bare. They don't have to leave when showing, pets are not there, not as much worry about theft of personal items. (Perhaps some minor staging to show space for a kitchen or dining table/chairs? A place to sign papers for an offer? Wink)

I really prefer to see places empty, as one can really see the entire bones of the home laid bare, all wall/floor areas and their current conditions. This is especially true when selling a cluttered home or where the furnishings are just not so attractive. We are removing and clearing everything from DM's home prior to marketing (especially her loose laid bedroom carpets, that cover oak hardwood floors)

Posts: 9635 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is a one-size-fits all answer to this intriguing question.

For some buyers, an empty house can be perplexing: they may not have the vision to imagine how the space could be furnished or used. Also, it sounds counterintuitive, but an empty home can be perceived as smaller than it actually is because there is no frame of reference that furniture adds. And, if a home has odd features or architectural flaws, it is much more apparent when empty.

For other buyers, like Conrad suggests, an empty house is a wonderful blank slate.

IMO, the best way to sell a house is to price it right in the first place.

Good luck, in any event.

Posts: 5312 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have he this discussion before. It seems to be split. Half prefer it empty, half prefer it with furniture.

Posts: 7102 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Totally agree it depends on the house and situation.
Also fully agree with aych...

"the best way to sell a house is to PRICE it right, in the first place."

Posts: 9635 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have three kids and a couple of pets, it can be draining to keep the house spotless and we used to get only an hour's notice. I think you could store most of your clutter and personal items elsewhere as you're moving anyway. But, I think people like to see some furniture...however a huge bedroom set with additional pieces and maybe a desk could be scaled back leaving say the bed, nightables and one dresser so it looks spacious. We've sold 5 homes and once we went away for a whole summer and left the key with the realtor. It sold and I think people can really take their time and get a feel for the house if they aren't rushed through....and when we lived in the homes - when they arrived at the door I left with baby, and dog to go for a walk until I saw them leave. If you are living in the house, you can do things like leave a (GAS) fireplace going, some lamps on, soft background music...and I'd remove all the pet paraphenalia while it was being shown.

Posts: 742 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of brynnsmom
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU GUYS SOOOOO MUCH! It's just me and my husband. Empty nesters! My friends are split right down the middle. We live in Alabama and it's still a buyer's market where we live. I really appreciate your input!

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
One more for the empty houses, for me furniture and accessories are distraction. Rather see a house empty to really see the house, and concentrate on the walls and how my furniture is going to look in the place etc.

Posts: 5009 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Depends on the house and the furniture. If you've already moved everything out - then leave it empty but leave a few things as Conrad mentioned - new kitchen towels on the edge of the sink, fresh towels in the bathroom, new shower curtains, simple window treatments, bar stools or a table with a couple of chairs.

If the house soft items give the bath and kitchen a focal point.

Here's a trick with the shower curtains - hang the edge of the curtain outside the tub gather it about half way and tie a nice ribbon or use a chunky necklace to hold it and position it in the center of the tub. Looks good for the photographer and people can see the tub without having to open the curtain. You can also place a hook at the far end and drape it back on the hook.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3564 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Close to getting DM's house ready to be listed. ORIGINAL 1953 kitchen (refrig, wall oven, and faucet are the ONLY things replaced since 1953 when it was built) Same with the bathrooms, (except toilets and flooring replaced fairly recently)

The house will be empty of all furnishings, except for a floor lamp (and maybe table/chairs if they don't sell before) Oh,...and a pool table in the basement rec room.

It was surprising how many people (at the estate sale) were enchanted by the "original condition of the interior". Wink

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't doubt it, I wish that they would look for people like that, in some of the HGTV programming. LOL

Posts: 5009 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
I have shown homes..I wished were vacant...many times. Unfortunately the furniture and decor, and clutter can kill the sale. Not saying this is your case.

I think moving back in is all about your circumstances. Some people can afford to leave a home vacant, some have no choice --being transaferred.

Vacant houses can increase insurance, and invite instrusions. In addition, double the utilites with "on" in two places.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9271 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a vintage house, just went to pending. it is described as, "Built in the 1950's and maintained in vintage condition, this wonderful home creates a classic living environment".

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Rolli...d-90274/home/7739013

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Meischa,

Posts: 2466 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think people prefer empty houses with everything done and maintained properly.

The Rental Management Company

Posts: 4 | Location: Corpus Christi | Registered: May 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post