Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Real Estate
  Preparing to Sell -?s on carpet, paint and window dressings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preparing to Sell -?s on carpet, paint and window dressings Sign In/Join 
posted
I will be getting the house ready to sell and it will need new carpets and wall paint. Any suggestions on good color selections? Also , all my windows are covered with ecru/light beige floor length lace curtains- too dated? House was built in the 80's so there are no hardwood floors under the carpet, have to stick with carpet.

Posts: 482 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandlance, Happy to hear you are taking steps to get your house ready to sell. Preparation in advance can make the property shine and sell faster than the competition when you are ready to put it on the market, BUT have to say for myself at least, that I'm not really qualified re the decorator's touch so you might want to post this thread in the Decorator's Board as well. Good luck and let us know how things are as the journey continues. Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I think lace of any kind turns off a lot of buyers; and I always hate the "looks like Granny's house" comments. Clean/bare windows would be better...if they are in good repair of course.

Posts: 2863 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only tell you what worked for us. We have only sold one house with carpet, about a year and a half ago, we went to Lowes and picked out a Stainmaster light off white but not beige color and had it installed. It was quite inexpensive and needed to be done badly. I know we bought our current house with carpet that also needs replacement, so I'll go the same route again.

About the windows, we've kept it fairly simple, we had a modern house with 2.5 inch slat blinds with no curtains expect in a few rooms where we put modern curtains. You don't need a lot of money to put up simple sheers if you just want to keep it simple, I did that in our last house in a few rooms where we did not have the slat blinds.

There are definitely other board where you will get fantastic advice on decorating.

Posts: 491 | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you compared the cost of laminate flooring to carpet? Obviously, you'd have to consider your home's price range and the competition before using laminate instead of hardwood flooring.

Agree, I would remove the lace curtains and change them out to simple panels, if necessary.

Best of luck with your upcoming sale and move!

Posts: 168 | Registered: Sep 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DebiinFL
posted Hide Post
Having just been through that, beige is a good color, and we had HD do our last house, and they did a great job (looked wonderful). I would also lose the lace, and plain panels would be great.... Light and bright.... It's amazing what new carpet does - and just make sure you get good padding - makes a world of difference when a prospective buyer steps on it.... Got lots of comments about that.

Posts: 144 | Registered: May 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I agree with getting a good pad. The pad is not much more money to upgrade, and less expensive carpet will feel rich under foot. A great carpet on a cheap pad will feel more like a cheap one.

And a nice frieze carpet with a blend of beige and tan notes will show well with most buyers.

Posts: 9596 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep offering the same advice. Check out this article by Scott Govers, a California Real Estate Appraiser and Broker. He tells you what updates and upgrades you need to do to get the best price on an appraisal to sell your home. Sometimes a little can go a really long way.

http://510homes.wordpress.com/...your-home-appraisal/

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, 510 Area Homes, perhaps you are trying to be helpful but did you read the rules of this message board? NO ADVERTISING ALLOWED!

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I'm one of the different buyers out there that does not want you do to anything to the floors. Just clean the carpet and in negotiations, deduct a flooring allowance so that I can install the flooring that I want.

I turned my back on a fairly nice house because I did not like the brand new carpeting. I mentioned to husband that the carpet would need to be replaced. He did not agree. I walked out to the car and seated myself while he and the real estate agent were still in the house. Follow up - the people who bought the house, replaced the powder blue carpet before moving in.

Besides...I don't like carpet especially in the most used areas of a house.

Posts: 16921 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would rather buy a house and put my own carpet or wood floor in. I hate laminate floors so that would be the first thing that would turn me off if looking at the house. I'd rather have an allowance to do my own floors.

Posts: 1117 | Location: North Carolina Close to Charlotte | Registered: Apr 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Clean and immediately usable is what would sell to me (so many other things matter more than decor). If it is dated, as in carpet, drapes or paint color, that simply can go into price negotiations. But not all buyers are the same, some do lack imagination. I would err on not spending the money unless it is just worn out or really bad. Then replace with something builder grade.

This is why I will not put new counters (granite or other) nor replace the top quality (however 1960 vintage, grey speckled Congoleum in our kitchen) the next owner will probably redo the whole thing, and they can do so for their taste. We have great quality carpet, with unfinished oak floors underneath. I will be happy to pull back a corner in each room to show buyers, but it will be up to them to refinish. Not "everyone" prefers wood floors.

Posts: 9596 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
It is not really about imagination. A good agent will help buyers look at what is important.

Here are the questions and the issues:

How much room do you have on price and investing in prepping the home and how much time do you have to sell?

How bad are the carpets? Are they just showing wear and tear or are they trashed?

What is the norm for your neighborhood? That is, what does the competition have on the floor?

Yep, posters come on here all the time and talk about the bones of the house, and how people don't have imagination, etc. But if you are trying to sell your house and your floors are trashed, you are going to lose more buyers than those who walk in and say - "oh yeah, the first thing I want to do is lay carpet or install floors, where do I sign"?

If you list the house with a discount for the carpet - potential buyers who are not turned off by the floors will still take another discount on their low ball offer.

Just about every buyer who walks into a resale will have a mental list, if not actual, of areas that need to be addressed if they buy the house. The longer that list the lower the offer.

If a professional cleaning will give the carpet some life in the short term and it is in keeping with the competition - then that is the way to go. If the competition is all sporting hardwood (not laminate) or brand new carpet, then that answers your question.

Sherry - I can only imagine the other decorating choices a homeowner would make who puts powder blue carpet in a house they are planning to sell. Eek

Fun and Info

Posts: 3453 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Stop. Do nothing except clean, clean and clean some more.
Do not spend any money to you check out your market. Call 3 agents..get opinions, then go from there.

Posts: 9239 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Check out your market first by calling some agents, have them come to the house to offer opinion. However...clean, clean, clean first.

Posts: 9239 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to say I would prefer a flooring allowance. I have allergies and carpeting is a no no, and I absolutely abhor laminate. To me carpeting is one of the most disgusting inventions ever. So the first thing I do when I buy or rent a house? rip the carpeting out. So either clean it and leave it or give an allowance, and then potentially also be low balled due to flooring as charming said.

Posts: 1147 | Location: pa | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
I would like to throw my two cents in this. I was putting my dad's house on the market....the entire house was ugly wallpaper, ugly carpeting and lace curtains. I live 500 miles away and no more time off of work to tweak the look of the house......I scrapped the lace curtains, I bought rod pocket panels at Wal-Mart and I had 2 offers in 3 days! Was it the curtains, I'm thinking so. It gave the house a crisp clean look...so ditch the curtains to begin with and either put up neutral panels or nothing at all.

just my two cents worth

j

Posts: 1684 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I am going to put my personal two cents in here, when I bought this house it had new carpeting, which I inmediately ripped off. why? I happen to have two very big greyhounds that happen to have very big nails that they use and destroy carpeting.
Hardwood floors are no good because these floors get scratched and I personally cannot handle schratched floors. Therefore, I opted for a high end Pergo laminate that looks like wood, acts like wood and will not get scratched or damagae either by my dogs or little kids and their toys.and my high heels.
To clean these floors is a dream Mine have a guarantee of 20 years, they were not innexpensive and I am extremely happy with them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rker321,

Posts: 4987 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rker321:
I am going to put my personal two cents in here, when I bought this house it had new carpeting, which I inmediately ripped off. why? I happen to have two very big greyhounds that happen to have very big nails that they use and destroy carpeting.
Hardwood floors are no good because these floors get scratched and I personally cannot handle schratched floors. Therefore, I opted for a high end Pergo laminate that looks like wood, acts like wood and will not get scratched or damagae either by my dogs or little kids and their toys.and my high heels.
To clean these floors is a dream Mine have a guarantee of 20 years, they were not innexpensive and I am extremely happy with them.

Good to know about the Pergo. We are planning to replace the carpet in our bdr next year and really didn't want real wood. Our greys have never had a problem with carpet. They have had more trouble with the tile on the first floor.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3453 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
These very big dogs, clamp their feet on the ground in order to gain traction. therefore they will scratch wood, and unrable carpet. Children are not careful with floors and toys therefore for me woodfloors are a no no.
Tile or laminate make a lot more sense to me. And if you want to dress your home, I do have several area rugs in my living room, dining room that do a great job without the problems of a wall to wall carpeting.
I have seen people that will not accept engineer wood or laminate as if they represented a mortal sin in design. Hoping that they don't have small children or dogs.

Posts: 4987 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Actually, Boomer (24 lb mutt) will do more damage to a loose loop rug or carpet than the greys. We had a plush type in our old house with no problem and a berber in this house with no problem. Once the greys walk on the tile a few times they get the feel of it. Poor Freckles had the most problems with the tile after he broke his leg, his gait was not as smooth and he would start slipping. We put throw rugs and runners all through the down stairs for him. Frown

Fun and Info

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Funny that you say that, one of my greys broke her hind leg a couple of months back, needed surgery and was in a crate for over 8 weeks, while it healed, she is now walking pretty well and yes we do have area rugs so that she doesn't slip, we still won't let her go out with the other grey, because they tend to run and play, and he leg really needs to get strong and will take time. Oh Dear!!!!! what we all do for our dogs.